Are there any Top 10 uni anons on Veeky Forums?

Are there any Top 10 uni anons on Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/pjbQBWA
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2617814/Amazing-young-Oxford-University-physics-student-20-used-lethal-mix-poison-kill-inside-tent-end-term.html
corporate.comcast.com/news-information/leadership-overview/cesar-conde-2
thewaltdisneycompany.com/leaders/ben-sherwood/
warnerbros.com/studio/executives/operation-officers/kevin-tsujihara
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Ziegel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>he fell for the college meme

What are these top 10? Depending on the list, I may be.

There is a Veeky Forums discord chat that's been around for almost a year, it could use some new blood, if you're interested
discord.gg/pjbQBWA

Harvard #1

No. 1 reporting in

Oxbridge #1 in england

My alma mater isn't a top 10 uni, but my college/program that I graduated from within the uni is top 10 in the country for that degree program

>Oxford
>No. 1

HAHAHAHAHA

Currently in the US Military Academy

Got accepted to Yale, U of Chicago, Berkeley, and Naval Academy but chose Military Academy due to my life long goal of being an Officer in the Army like my great-great-grandpa, great-grandpa, grandpa and dad. All of them reaching at least Lt. Colonel but my dad is Brig General. I'm majoring in Mechanical Engineering with 3 Minors in: Economics, Political Science, and International Relations

A fresher that's full of himself, unsurprising at Oxford desu

Did you enjoy Andre Lukas' dick this morning?

>going to Lukas's lectures

Six weeks in and you've already given up on V&M?

Good luck in prelims kid.

Is Oxford one single uni or are there many colleges under Oxford?

>all these big uni guys are aggressive cunts
Not surprising

Does ETH count?
Fell for the chemical engineering meme

Is Switzerland comfy?
Also are there a lot of pajeets in ETH?

Epfl is better because french is better than german.

EPFL top 10 reporting in

>Hating on based Lukas

It's like you don't even appreciate rigour.

Oxford is barely even top 3 in the UK thrse days.

>v&m
>high school level
pick two

Except it's actually a rigorous introductory course to Linear Algebra with a HS name.

The lecturer's an interesting guy, one of his students killed himself a few years ago.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2617814/Amazing-young-Oxford-University-physics-student-20-used-lethal-mix-poison-kill-inside-tent-end-term.html

you should follow suit

Holy shit, I know the suicide infographic that he used. The warning signs are identical.

That lad may have been one of us

Don't listen to dumb Americans, despite many of their universities being in almost every single top 10 list
(Why? Only because... 'Murica!), in reality they are not that good.

I can list you, first hand, the only 4 universities in U.S/EU that are worth your time and money...
>Oxford
>Cambridge
>Stanford
>Caltech
>UZH
Every other uni is an overhyped real life meme and a literal joke. (Or just not as good...)
(Especially Harvard and Princeton)

Don't believe everything you see on those biased lists made by media shills, they will
promote and overhype almost anything if it gets them publicity and money.
Lists like that usually look like this;
>#1.Harvard!!!!!!!!!!!!
>#2.Massachusetts Institute of Technology!!!!!!!!!!!
>#3.Stanford!!!!!!!!!!
>#4.Princeton!!!!!!!!!
>#5.Berkeley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...etc
And then you will see universities that are actually good, usually after #5...
Or in most cases the list will be '''''''somewhat accurate''''''' but reviews will be completely biased.

UZH is better than ETH and EPFL?
Hard to believe.

Thoughts about universities in the Netherlands?

I'm finishing my Bachelor on Argentina next semester and wanted to do a Masters (or any other programme) at a top international institution.

The problem: I was an idiot and just decided to not do some classes here and there, and got 0% on many of them (which I later redid to get my diploma, with good grades). Long story short, I have a 67% transcript.

Am I doomed? Is my dream of studying at a great university over? Or is there any that accepts students with poor transcripts, if they have publications and other stuff?

lmao

>going to any lectures

Duh.

ETH, EPFL, Oxbridge won't accept you.
Best chance is to enter second-rate physics master program in Germany and killing it.

Still, even then, I don't think any top PhD institutions will accept you unless there's a great fit.

Btw, you don't need to enter great uni to do great work.

Dude spend time on Veeky Forums, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

did UChicago for my undergrad.
currently doing a M.S. at the University of General Mediocrity But Actually Good Geoscience Program

Is there any top but underrated international institution that might take me in if I publish a few papers by then? I have 3 or 4 projects that with some work could easily be published.

That's where you're wrong. I do know what I'm talking about and i know it well.
I worked in Harvard, Cambridge, MIT, ICL, UCL, ETH, UTokyo, Copenhagen...etc. (In 14 different universities.)
But I'm not here to argue. I said what I wanted, it's your decision after all... I'm just trying to give you a piece of advice.

Could you tell your reasoning and experience?
Why do you believe UZH is better than ETH and EPFL?
I'd love to hear som stories about your experience as well... This really interests me.

I'm the guy from Argentina with a poor transcript, I'd also love to hear what are the most underrated universities that might accept me. It's my dream to go to a top institution, but doors are closed.

Just do a masters at a middle tier university and then step up to top tier if you continue education

What's a good middle tier university that would open doors to top tier ones?
Or even better. Aren't there any top tier institutions that are underrated and would accept someone like me? I don't mind the country.

Why don't you just apply to as many as you can? Might be expensive but you could get lucky.

>I worked in Harvard, Cambridge, MIT, ICL, UCL, ETH, UTokyo, Copenhagen...etc. (In 14 different universities.)
Yeah nah

Techinical University of Munich

U of Chicago need to be added

American University of Beirut

Ivy Leaguers dominate in industries that require people skills. Here are two Harvard men.
corporate.comcast.com/news-information/leadership-overview/cesar-conde-2
thewaltdisneycompany.com/leaders/ben-sherwood/

For the Beta Asians.
warnerbros.com/studio/executives/operation-officers/kevin-tsujihara

Every Caltech grad I have met were scary-level basement dwellers. Great school for nerds, but you never see them running things.

I'm in grad school now but I did undergrad at Caltech. I don't think I'll ever find a place I love more

>That thumb that clearly hasn't been bitten and always trimmed with a nail clipper
pleb tier

McGill University
Best in Canada
Mech ENG.

Nah, I work with a guy who did his undergrad in Brazil, got accepted into mit, and shit

>tfw doing PhD at UChicago but it's in the humanities

so you want to be a highschool teacher i see...

any advice for getting in as an undergraduate?

ENS PARIS MATHEMATICS

For Caltech they want you to be passionately nerdy. I remember in one of my essays writing about how I'd come up with calculus problems to do for fun. I also did Science Bowl which probably looked good

Those are fighting words STEMfag

In all seriousness though I'm endlessly thankful I got in here, it's a wonderful fucking school

Did BA/MA at UofToronto

first of all im a mech eng at mcgill uni...

second of all you can be thankfull but lets be real what are you going to get a job in and what are you studying in humanities

It's not that bad. Job placement for graduating PhDs in my department is nearing like 100%, being mostly academic by far half, about half tenure track or something thereabouts.

Postgrad humanities is definitely bloated to hell these days, but there are still jobs. Though even if there weren't, I'd still do it because it's my passion.

>being mostly academic by far half, about half tenure track
being mostly academic by far, about half tenure track*

i still dont get it are you another sjw prof. liberal fag that has to make new words to sound and feel good... what do you guys learn about that is applicable to real life ?

also what other job can you get outside of uni ?

Mostly Veeky Forums is either that but won't tell or self taught NEETs like But yee, wished i was rich enough to go to a top 10 uni but the only good university near me is UCSD, might take Statistics there if i could make it with the costs and having a fucking job and living around there
This user is quite badass

Do you mind posting?

What house? Lloyd allumn here

A lot of the things are practically applicable to the world. But they still become irrelevant for social reasons. So you should switch focus of where you put in the effort.

Being good at what you do doesn't matter at all if there is no social route for you to make a difference.

Most "Awesome Schools" are just that. More of a social route than particularly good in any of the other aspects.

Have parents who used math and science in their job

>not learning algebraic geometry in spare time for the funz

>Brother went to MIT
>I went to a state school
>take GRE and got a 155 in quantitative
>will have to bust my ass off if I want to get my PhD at a top 10 school

Please give me confidence and not call me a brainlet, Veeky Forums

Please tell me it's all going to be alright.

Either work harder towards your goal, or accept that you won't attend a top 10.

Page. How did you feel about Caltech? A lot of my friends felt burned out and didn't really like it

Neither of my parents do any math/science in their jobs

>Girlfriend goes to NYU, going to Uchicago soon.
>Be me failing to finish a math degree at Boston U.

feelsbadman

I went to UCSD - it is full of rejects from the better Californian schools.

I go to UofA, idk what you guys think of it but I think it's good, ( University of Alberta )

Well, then the other universities are SDSU and USD but the latter is even more expensive and the former is cheaper but maybe i will end up there if i don't make it ;_;

you are #3 after uoft and ubc, but nice try. also for mech eng waterloo is #1.

Do not forget Irvine or CP Pomona if you want to stay in SOCAL.

I'm just a poorfag so i cannot leave San Diego to be honest
But i just have to try really hard on those grants

>that picture's story though

Typical Redneck Marine you see around San Diego County.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Ziegel

just become a stay-at-home dad

How do I get into a good grad school from here? I fucking hate the place, doesn't feel like a #4 EE school at all.

OK top minds come figure this out with me.

Technical university of Saint Petersburg is neat.

Forgot picture.

Do you have courses in english?

No idea. I am just looking at pictures.

This is now a circle jerk thread but you also jerk yourself. And it was.

>a #4 EE school at all.
according to whom may i ask?

also you need to do well in undergrad and score well on the gre to go to a top school.
the gre/mcat/lsat/gmat is your time to show you have the same skills as a yale grad
even at hyp you will find people from arcane schools who hold their own against people from better known schools
my friend went to cs humboldt and was accepted by ucsf for medical school

How hard is it to get an admission for s M.Sc. in CS? If I have good grades, come from a very theoretical CS program and fulfill all requirements, how are my chances?

if it's in Econ you are set for life career wise

Considering applying to transfer there. What are there other engineering fields like?

uscf if people dont know is literally better than harvard, stanford, and johns hopkins for med school

*ucsf

Wow, could you please ask what university he attended in Brazil, what was his overall grade ('IRC', he will know this) and how he applied?
Please, this would be really helpful!

BTW, what is he studying?

>learning with the same books as others
top uni doesn't cure autism

It favors autism

>Page
I was almost murdered in this courtyard. Still love Page though.

Assuming a genuine post, can you confirm or deny the truth to the statement that it is almost exclusively academy grads that make consistent promotions to high ranks?

Interhouse was last weekend and the dance floor broke midway through and injured some people. Classic

Lund's University, best in Sweden, since 1666.

False. Look at all the 4 stars, and even 2 and 3 star flag officers. The overwhelming majority didn't go to the Academy, although the majority were in ROTC. I've been told that a lot of senior officers dont like guys or girls from the Academies.

>according to whom may i ask?
JewSNews? Fuck, I don't know why they even bother to list us at this point since its evident this place is literally the proverbial bumfuck state anyway that nobody would ever recognize.

>also you need to do well in undergrad and score well on the gre to go to a top school.
Uh yeah, in other news water is wet. What I'm really concerned about is how much pedigree matters for grad school and the Yalie will certainly edge me out on that category no matter how high of a GRE score I get.

My department (ECE) is already pretty much filled with retards, but the other departments are (amazingly) even worse.

Overall there is literally almost nothing that distinguishes this place from any generic engineering school. The students are dumbfucks, the faculty is mostly mediocre. If you end up in this sorry shithole, mark my fucking words

Maybe they paid USNews to put them up higher on the rankings or something, because once you come here and do research on the faculty you'll soon realize that the numbers don't add up. Some of the faculty are straight up frauds, like how the fuck do you hire someone as a professor with less than 100 citations and still be ranked as high? Makes no fucking sense.

Aerospace engineering, he ended up not going to MIT. Apparently all the grad students hate it, and tell everyone to go somewhere else. Two other folks in my lab confirmed. Think he's out for the week, If remember, I'll ask him next time I see him. I'll gaurentee he was near top of his class, but can't speak for his researc experience.

I w

>me failing
>Girlfriend
literally how?

Undergrad at Cambridge
PhD at Cambridge

It doesn't seem to have helped as I still couldn't get a postdoc. Publications are everything.

So, what was your motivation to attend the academy instead of doing ROTC at some other, high-ranking institution?

ahahahahah that's funny. They don't like the people who didn't join the military because they were smart enough to do something better with their life. How ironic.