If every thing goes accordingly, would hundreds of years for us be less than one second for her?

If every thing goes accordingly, would hundreds of years for us be less than one second for her?

>Cancer girl, 14, is cryogenically frozen after telling judge she wants to be brought back to life 'in hundreds of years'

> 14-year-old girl who died of cancer has been cryogenically frozen in the hope that she can be “woken up” and cured in the future after winning a landmark court case in her final days.

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/18/cancer-girl-14-is-cryogenically-frozen-after-telling-judge-she-w/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Hilliard
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So if she gets revived hundreds of years from now and you fuck her, will you get arrested, or can you get away by saying "no officer she's actually 1000 years old"?

She's fucking dead m8

If they can save her body then her mind will just be gone. She'll be mad probably

Kek

I could understand freezing yourself if you aren't dead, but after death seems kind of redudant

You die being frozen anyway

She is literally dead, it's unlikely she will be able to be revived either. Maybe kind of recreated in some imperfect way, but not as she was.

Ghoulish.

BUT HER BODY HER RULES.

nothing as long as this, but apparently humans can survive hypothermia and being frozen.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Hilliard

Can they survive if they die first, though?

Thing is even is crygogenics could revive a person leter, she already died. Her consciousness is gone. Ignoring that the cancer in her body is still there, if a brain dead body is revived, the other organs might be perfectly healthy but the person isn't there anymore. It's just a husk. I don't see the point unless it was preserved for something hypothetical like a brain/head transplant or other kind of similar surgeries.

fukken ded

Your consciousness is like the data in your computer's RAM. If you cut the power the data is gone.
You can restore the power but you can't get that data back.

actually you can freeze RAM (or something similar) and thus prevent data degradation.

forensics teams sometimes do it when they raid houses for computers.

What if it's stored on a hard drive. Even if formatted you have information stored by hysteresis.

Why would people bother unfreezing these cunts in the future? Maybe they would take one or two for historical purposes, but everyone else moves to the trashcan.

0/10 would not dip sausage into. I mean, I like 14year olds like the next guy, but just imagine how could it would feel, ew

you can legally fuck 14 year olds in many countries. enjoy your United police States of a Murica

Only if they survive dying.

dont worry, in a thousand years from now you can legally fuck lolis my dude

>But after a decision that raises profound moral and ethical questions
Profound ethical questions like what?

Everything seems to raise profound moral and ethical questions today.

the same question it always is according to the dipshit media "durr is we playin god?"

wew lads look at all this completely uninformed conjecture presented as fact
I didn't know you guys were all groundbreaking geniuses who are centuries ahead of medical science, who know what consciousness is and what form it takes.

Anyone else here not accepted their own mortality yet because they're banking on having an infinite lifespan made possible within their lifetime?

the "completely uninformed conjecture" here is the presumption that a completely deceased person with no ability to regain the burned out memories she once had from an expired brain could ever be brought back as the same person. You can go slap every science fiction writer that every claimed that was possible and tell them I said hi.
Dead is dead. Maybe your body could be revived but your mind can't.
Sorry if that burst your special little bubble.

>Americans just collapse in -30C weather
School isn't even cancelled in Canada unless it goes to -40C.

Why do you have this hard supposition that memory isn't stored in some chemical way in the brain?

Yeah but this presupposes dualism, which is completely at odds with a naturalistic understanding of the world. If the mind just is the brain, and the brain can be preserved intact and restored to normal functioning, then so can the persons "mind". You're acting like one's brain is a distinct entity from there body. The very fact that the brain is required in order to sustain vital functions entails that if one's body can be revived than at least SOME of the functions of their mind have to be preserved - namely those required to sustain the body.

In 200 years, the 7 foot, 200 IQ, immortal ottermode chinese transhuman masterrace that inherited the Earth will only consider reviving some archaic sick thing for entertainment or to stick her in the subhuman zoo.

She was dead then frozen after death.

She ain't coming back. They're just freezing a body for no reason other than ''muh feelings''.

A waste of space and energy.

Damn, that short segment stuck in my memory the most out of Transmetropolitan. It depressed me badly.

Medical science disagrees with you on every count.

spooky

As long as the information in the brain can be adequately preserved then yes.
Right now there isn't even anything close to being able to "reanimate" the information. It's purely sci-fi, right now all we can do is make effort to preserve the information in the brain as accurately as possible.
But hey if you can choose between a certain death and a 1 in a million death, It costs like 200K but it's not like you're anything with that money when you're dead

Also it's wrong to say frozen. The bodies are vitrified.

No, it presupposes volatility of the brain - ie. 'you' are a product of your brain's structure and its current electrical state, and you are gone once it is. AFAIK we don't know whether this is true or not, but you certainly don't have to believe in souls to think cryonics is unlikely to work (tbf most supporters also think it's unlikely, but Pascal's Wager etc.)

>chinese transhuman
I'm considering learning chinese, they don't seem to care much for faux western morals and ethics. Transhumanist revolution is gonna happen in East Asia unless the west stops blabbering about "muh ethics".
Pic fucking related, monkey head transplant. As preparation for the first human head transplant next year.
They're already ahead on the IQ curve, if they can just boost that by a few more points they'll reach escape velocity and leave the rest of humanity behind.

>your brain's structure and its current electrical state
From what I read most of what makes you you is the brain's structure and the electrical state is things like short term memory.
And unlike when you're asleep you wont feel the passage of time. One moment you're on your deathbed in 2016 next thing you know it's 2516

I wonder what kind of legal insurance there is around this.

What happens if the company goes bankrupt?
Is the person considered legally dead or alive? If alive, would they be charged with manslaughter if they let them thaw out?

iirc it's the same legal process as donating your body to science.

So basically there is no guarantee of anything.

Yup. There have been similar companies in the past that have gone bankrupt.

What happened to to bodies?

Who knows. Cremated/burned like most medial waste I guess.

who's paying for maintenance?

literally wasting money because this poor girl was rused by le popsci elon muskettes in thinking that she could be reanimated

The majority of the costs of the freezing operation go into an investment fund, whose profits pay for the maintenance, indefinitely. (Only a small amount of the costs are used for the actual freezing part.)

so they don't profit from this enterprise? These people ACTUALLY believe they'll bring back people to life?

>bring back
If the information in the brain can be preserved there is theoretically nothing stopping us from bringing them back.

That's sort of the point, yes.

>water expands when frozen
>brain is like 99% water
>brain tears apart in billions of pieces when its frozen
>all neurons stop working long before its completly frozen
>now you just have dead matter that doesnt even fit together anymore.

Future technology must be close to magic from our pov if they can fix that.

Except people don't get frozen, they get vitrified.

They replace the body's water with a substance that does not freeze at very low temperatures, which means the cells (and thus, the information) stay intact.

I see

What's the matter user? Are you feeling sour grapes over the fact that other people will live forever whereas you will be permanently gone in seventy years?

even if the brain isnt destroyed you still have to understand that the human memory is like ram.
If you completly take away the current you lose all data.
A vitrified brain is as good as dead.

yeah m8, this isn't the Foundation Series

No, it really isn't. We know quite a bit about how the brain works, and this isn't it. Your current thoughts work sort of like RAM, but your memories and personality do not. Everything in your brain that is still there after a night's sleep is stored in a nonvolatile way, that will stick around just fine as long as the brain cells don't die. Which usually they do after a couple of minutes of lack of oxygen, but cryopreservation can stop that process.

A human body keeps a current going for a long time if something happens to it.
I'm not talking days, but several hours.
For example, dead bodies can still "move" after they are death because some nerves are still active.

She's dead, Jim

>She was dead then frozen after death.
people believed falling in coma was being dead and used to burry people alive.