EM Drive

ibtimes.co.uk/emdrive-aiaa-confirms-release-date-controversial-nasa-eagleworks-space-propulsion-paper-1579443

drive.google.com/file/d/0B7kgKijo-p0ibm94VUY0TVktQlU/view

They actually confirm it works, the absolute madmen.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8pz_IaRVBh0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta-v
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can undergraduate physicists ever recover?

suicide watch here, i wouldn't bet on it.

I'm a brainlet. So someone explain the significance of this to me.

>output is ridiculously smaller than the input
theres a reason why we call it the meme drive

If it's true, it may well be the most significant scientific discovery ever. Certainly in our lives. Also, yes, physicists will be killing themselves.

It produces thrust.

Without propellant.

2016 will forever be known as the year meme magic uplifted the human race.

>It produces thrust without a propellant
That's pretty fucking cool.

>If it's true, it may well be the most significant scientific discovery ever. Certainly in our lives.
Come on user that's an exaggeration.

>Also, yes, physicists will be killing themselves.
Over something that produces movement on its own with being forced to move?

Thanks for the explanation.

>"""""laws""""" of physics

>reactionless drive
I'm out.

More like guidelines, am i rite guise

This thing is going to go through the technology readiness levels like a fucking madman

It's not an exaggeration, at all. Splitting the atom pales in comparison.

We interstellar now son.

Future dude here.
This is nothing. There is no thrust. All EM waves in a asymmetric non-resonant chamber do this. The configuration simply negates local space expansion along the line of asymmetry and in the presence of a gravitational gradient in the local space.

It is not scalable or additive, and disappears outside the pretense of gravity.

We be going inta hyperspace and shiet

b-b-but all the people on the internet told me it was gonna revolutionize physics!!!!!!!

I'm waiting on the cubesat test. If THAT works then it really will be interstellar empire time.

It means that interplanetary and interstellar spaceships can be much smaller, much faster, and have almost unlimited Delta V.

It would be the most exciting technological development in the past 50 years, easily.

It could still fall apart, but signs are looking pretty fucking stellar just at the moment.

>Veeky Forums continues to get BTFO over and over again

I'm going to be laughing myself fucking silly from the stars when this works, while all you Veeky Forums earth-cucks drown the planet in your tears!

How would you build an EM drive to launch from earth

you can't, the thrust is fuckall

it's quite useful in space however

>b-but my theories

theoretical cucks btfo

applied science mustard race

You have to make it bigger and give it a slightly different shape. The dude who invented it is working on a version that could lift a car on its own.

That's bullshit, it couldn't create enough force to lift it's own weight let alone something else

thats not what matters.
what matters is it lifts ANYTHING.

in space. where weight doesnt exist, it can propel a rocket.

without propellant.

thats fucking huge news, mate.
thats interplanetary-interstellar travel there, mate.

>mfw

what a year

It would be neat, but it's not interstellar neat

It could make going to mars trivially easy IF it actually works, which we are far from proving just yet.

I'm hopeful that Shawyer finally gets off his ass and uses the momentum of this paper to get one of his contraptions in orbit. If he can get that thing blasting laong at say, 200,000 mph, then we're in business and the solar system will have boots all around it within a few decades.

The first person to mine the asteroid belt will be a god btw, get on that shit smart fucks.

If we are talking end of world scenario, it is interstellar neat.

we are talking about something that constantly speeds a spaceship up without throwing shit off the side

it isnt a perpetual motion machine but it is about as fucking close as we can get, and it beats newtonian propulsion by a fucking longshot.

Kek help get Trump elected
Meme drive is the real deal
Pepe is now an international hate symbol that had an effect on the presidential race

What a year. Will 2016 ever be topped?

>want to believe in this very badly
>I even keep an eye on a rather nutty guy who claims he's on the verge of building a faster than light warp drive in his garage

I yearn for the opening of space like a mad cunt. It's just so free and beautiful.

BULL.
No controls, no nothing.

This is not science.

retard here with a question

Why can't the just make one of these, strap it to a cart, and see if the cart moves?

We all knew since the beginning that this works.

But it will never be used in pratice. That shit needs about the same power of an average house (3 Kw) in order of 0.3 mN, which isso low that couldn't even push 1 kg of anything by a single meter of distance, and that while using a shitload of energy, let alone using it to thrust an entire spaceship.

>That shit needs about the same power of an average house (3 Kw) in order of 0.3 mN, which isso low that couldn't even push 1 kg of anything by a single meter of distance, and that while using a shitload of energy, let alone using it to thrust an entire spaceship.

you use conventional rockets to launch into orbit then turn on the massless drives when youre in space and you dont actually need much force at all to accelerate, dummy

The amount of thrust it produces very small, it wouldn't be able to move the cart let alone it's own weight.
They have measured thrust from it in tests, but skeptics argue it's an instrumentation error and so forth.

They're going to launch one on a cubesat, probably in 2017. That will be the ultimate test for whether it really produces thrust or not.

It's efficiency would likely be improved over time like any other technology.
Even if it's never able to produce enough thrust to lift anything on Earth, propellant-free thrust would be absolutely game changing for unmanned spacecraft.

PHYSICLETS BTFO
WILL THEY EVER LEARN

It doesn't even work. Just shitty engineers measuring pull from power supplies. When the Chinese eliminated that error source they measured no thrust.

You are studying fundamental physics in the library when this guy comes in and slaps Newtons Third Law on the ass
What do

>trusting ANY Chinese scientific result
Buddy you're off your rocker.

I bet you also believe that Chinese people are actually smart and hard-working, and that they NEVER cheat to get their good results.

Is it possible for some random person to look up the specs and make one?

Reminder that your words can hurt people
Provide the necessary trigger alert before posting about the EM drive

But it does need energy, no? Where dat comin from

coal and mexico will pay for it

Photovoltaics, radioisotope thermoelectric generators, or fission reactors. Perhaps fusion reactors eventually.

It would be useless to you
The ammount of thrust it produces is tiny
Its usefull only for space propulsion

I believe so, but it's not like you're going to build a hovercraft with your microwave.
It would probably be more expensive to buy the equipment to measure it's thrust than it would be to build the drive.

So what could this mean?
Are we about to uncover a fifth fundamental force?

It must use dark energy senpai that is what I and my research team postulated

> propellant-free thrust would be absolutely game changing for unmanned spacecraft.

Propellant-free thrust already exists (photon drives). But the measured thrust/power ratio for this is higher by a factor of a few hundred.

It's still much lower than ion drives, but those need propellant (although much less propellant than combustion-based rockets). E.g. VASIMR manages 25 mN/kW, which is ~20 times higher than the 1.2 mN/kW reported for EM.

Right now, this doesn't have much practical use. The need for 20x as much power per unit thrust is going to outweigh the lack of need for propellant at any scale which currently matters.

To make use of it, we'd need abundant power (e.g. on-board nuclear reactors, and I don't mean RTGs) and missions where the required propellant even for an ion drive would be prohibitive.

still not as big of an upset as when ETs and UFOs will be confirmed
this board will be thoroughly btfo and it will be glorious

Is physics a meme degree now? I mean this is like the medical community having to admit witch doctors work lmao

>whenever your observations dont agree with theory slap "dark-something" on them
>its not a new force guys trust me
>act surprised when theory doesnt work

>Is physics a meme degree?
Well lets see
>unidentified force pulling shit around
>nah guys its gravity, there is no identified force only dark matter
>k
>unidentified force accelerating the expansion of the universe despite gravity
>uuuhhh, not a new force guys, its uuhhh... DARK ENERGY
>force measured on EM drive produced by unknown mechanism
>HOW DARE YOU, OUR PHYSICS MODEL IS INFALLIBLE
>MUH 3RD LAW

My QM prof said 7 people already resigned from the physics department. People are seriously considering switching to engineering now, everyone seems really distraught about the news.

The low hanging fruits are gone in physics.
you need Einstein levels of intelligence or higher and billion dollar particle accelerators now, otherwise you're just wasting your time.

The guy who invented it claims it doesn't break any laws of physics and uses physics know for over 60 years.

> Also, yes, physicists will be killing themselves.
Why? Just when something comes along to Make Physics Great Again.

Can you imagine how boring it must be to spend billions building particle colliders that span borders and the end result is always "yup, existing models confirmed".

glad ur smarter than NASA bro we need more fuckheads like u in Veeky Forums comments

We just achieved the ability to become an interplanetary species with ease and possibly an interstellar species too. It would narrow the time to our nearest star to about 100 years.

>travel to other solar systems
>meet other older and wiser species
>welcome children of the galaxy, congratulations on breaking out of your solar prison
>may we ask how you achieved interstellar travel, we are always pleased to hear the ingenious way each species comes up with
>explain EM drive
>they realise we have broken the laws of physics
>get orbitally bombarded for being lawbreakers

But it worked regardless of orientation, so your gravity gradient explanation is bullshit.

>kick ban for using exploits

Actually I think it would be more like this.

youtube.com/watch?v=8pz_IaRVBh0

STOP WITH THIS MEME SHIT ALREADY
IT DOES NOT WORK
DOES NOT WORK
Fucking get it through your thick skulls DOES. NOT. WORK.

>theoreticucks BTFO by experimentalist master race again

Veeky Forums absolutely btfo

Shouldnt you be developing a theory that actually works?

I dont know a lot about science, but i see a lot of smart people reeing because

"nyeh its never going to work,"
"let me tell you the bad news,"
"pseudo science, everything has already been discovered"

seems to be making a lot of neckbeards mad all

wtf i hate my physics degree now

where can I get a degree in meme magic

At /pol/ my friend

t. PhD in memetic magic

Indeed my friend. Meme magic is now the 5th force of nature.

meme magic is all that makes me feel happy in life, trump winning proved this

everything pales in comparison

Reaction punch him in the face

I don't give a fuck if the theory is right or wrong. I just study physics for fun, don't really care if this true or not.

Honestly, i think trump winning broke the universe, they discovered a shit load of oil in texas the other day, now we have warp drive

This year felt so good. First brexit, then Trump. I love this timeline.

>sci BTFO over and over again

Just think of the possibilities once they hook a Cold Fusion reactor to an Emdrive. Unlimited free power and unlimited free thrust. Off to the stars we go!

More like witch doctors having to admit vaccines work.

Whoa whoa, man, no need to go for most extreme cases here.

Calm down and THINK

Just in time for Trump to become the first Space Emperor

We truly live in the best timeline

Just hook it up to an E-CAT. That thing is also real according to the same Veeky Forums posters.

>Come on user that's an exaggeration.
You'd think, right? But really name one thing bigger.

>Delta V
Just type change in velocity you fucking autist.

What if the universe is a simulation and the beliefs of people can alter the rules like fucking warhammer 40k orks?
DUDE
MEMES
LMAO

I wish all problems could be solved with more dakka.

The article linked didn't have much information on what this thing actually is, and the paper was in terms I can understand somewhat but can't parse to get a decent picture. So... what exactly is this thing? From the way people are talking about it my best guess would be something akin to a perpetual motion drive, and I only guess that because of all the "violates laws of momentum" that seem to only get brought up when someone reports something that's effectively a perpetual motion drive, but I still have no solid idea what this thing *does*.

But that would mean red light would travel faster, because red makes things go faster.

>implying they can't
time for you to learn

Kek

>Just type change in velocity you fucking autist.
Not the guy, but "Delta V" is very common, my retarded friend

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta-v

I love mustard rice. I can't wait to enjoy it in my floating mansion above Venus :DD;D

>What a year. Will 2016 ever be topped?
Wait till next year. The Meme Wars have only just begun.

Shadillay!

I know, but dude said he was a brainlet. Is it not reasonable to assume he MIGHT not know even relatively basic shorthand?

>They have measured thrust from it in tests, but skeptics argue it's an instrumentation error and so forth.
The paper OP linked was measuring it down to single microNewtons was it not? At that point "i-instrumentation error!!1!" starts to approach "the entire fossil record is a hoax by paleontologists" in terms of how healthily it is skeptical.

This is not true and you all know it. It contradicts Newton and everything we learned about physics in the past 500 years.
I have no idea why they publish something like this but it is a fake.
Mark my words.

underrated

I want this to be real.

>But that would mean red light would travel faster, because red makes things go faster.
You could argue it does, since it get's stopped less by hitting stuff...

if you want it enough, it might be