Is diamond actually a metal? Its the solid form of carbon

Is diamond actually a metal? Its the solid form of carbon.

When an element is a crystalline solid at room temperature its always called a metal.

The 4 states of matter seem universal across elements. Solid, liquid, gas, plasma.

All elements that are solid at room temperature are called metals, right? Metals are elements that are frozen at room temperature, yes?

My thought process leads me to believe diamond is actually a metal.

It's a tempered crystallized form of an organic element. The difference between graphite and diamond is how the bonds arrange themselves (crystallization)

Anything not hydrogen or helium is metal fampai.

Yes, it is actually the hardest metal known to man. Advanced metallurgical techniques can produce harder alloys, but they aren't found in nature.

Carbon is a non-metal dipshit

Aren't all elements organic?

All living things are made from atoms that we classify as nonliving. "Organic elements" is a misnomer.

Iron is also heavily used by organisms.

Carbon is the solid form of carbon idiot, it is solid at room temperature. A diamond is just a very hard crystal because Carbon does a lot of cool shit like that. It isn't a metal, its a non-metal.

If it bleeds we can kill it.

If it can be a liquid we can freeze it.

If it can be frozen it can be called a metal while its in that state of matter.

Like science hasn't been wrong before. In a thousand years our descendants might think our understanding other universe is primitive, like how we look at alchemy as primitive.

I agree.

And this is the solid form of iron.

It's obviously a non metal, too.

Duh

No. Carbon can form chains which become hydrocarbons which then when adding a sulfur group become proteins, ad infinitum

The church thought scientists were baiting them into believing the earth was round.

Ignorance is a poor reason to call people trolls.

>the way I put together my Lego's is the only way it can be done

You are asserting that Carbon is a metal despite it having non of the properties a metal is described to have (in its pure form having luster, being ductile, etc) because science has been wrong before. It doesn't even require a scientific approach to realize Carbon isn't ductile or anything else. Being a metal isn't a property of something it is a grouping based off certain characteristics.

You also completely ignored what was actually said and said that because Iron is solid at room temperature means that it is a non-metal, which clearly wasn't what that poster was implying.

As a chemistry noob, I would appreciate if someone explained clearly the difference between a metal and a non-metal. I thought metals were simply a subset of chemical elements.

I'm just confused by the way we classify things.

You can't find metal elements in nature.

Look at metal ore. That's what it actually looks like in nature. We don't find sheets of metal lying on the ground that nature put there.

All metal ore has no luster, its not ductile, etc.

We make it a metal with heat and pressure.

Couldn't you call carbon diamond ore?

No, for the easily understood reasons explained several times. Have a nice day

Real scientist here: If it's not hydrogen or helium, it's a metal.

What if its in a gaseous state?

>you can't find metal elements in nature
Yes you can you said so yourself although they are usually bound to other elements

>Look at metal ore. That's what it actually looks like in nature. We don't find sheets of metal lying on the ground that nature put there.
Yes that is true

>All metal ore has no luster, its not ductile, etc.
thats because its in rocks which have no luster and are mostly not ductile

>we make it a metal with heat and pressure
No we don't it always was a metal it was just in an impure state

>Couldn't you call carbon diamond ore?
No because diamond isn't a metal and carbon isn't even an ore

But we make metal by using heat and pressure.

Diamonds are made with heat and pressure too.

My logic is no less flawed than the logic used to say carbon isn't a metal.

Metals are defined by their band structure, the behaviour of their itinerant electrones. Diamond does notbehave like a metal, therefore it is none. Also, diamond is actually metastable at room temperature and pressure.

Carbons a nonmetal fucktard, so even if its in its crystalline form, its still a nonmetal

A metal (from Greek μέταλλον métallon, "mine, quarry, metal"[1][2]) is a material (an element, compound, or alloy) that is typically hard, opaque, shiny, and has good electrical and thermal conductivity. Metals are generally malleable — that is, they can be hammered or pressed permanently out of shape without breaking or cracking — as well as fusible (able to be fused or melted) and ductile (able to be drawn out into a thin wire).[3]

Diamond (pronunciation: /ˈdaJəmənd/ or /ˈdaJmənd/) is a metastable allotrope of carbon, where the carbon atoms are arranged in a variation of the face-centered cubic crystal structure called a diamond lattice.

Actually, Dragonforce is the hardest metal known to man.

This is the definition according to Wikipedia, which is good enough for most basic purposes I supsect.

The term metal denotes a material that has notable Electirc or Thermal Conductivity, uasually a metallic lustre and significint hardness. Significant ductility is very typical, but not neccasary.
The term non-metal is given to anything that does not fit the above description.

The phase-state of a material does not determine wether or not it is metal: Quartz is a hard, crystalline mineral at the earths surface, but is considered a non-metal. Mercury however, is a liquid under the same conditions but is most certainly metal (Elec & Therm conductive, metallic lustre, etc).

I'm sure there are better defintions to do with bonding types and the preference for cation formation or some such, but I suspect this will at least shed some light on the question.

>made of covalent bonded carbon
>no metallic bonds
>not malleable
>not lustrous (inb4 IDZ SHINY THOUGH)
>not ductile
>no metallic bonds
>doesn't conduct electricity
>does not have freely moving electrons
>does not have any metallic bonds

are you a fucking retard?

rused/10