Is cornbread supposed to be sweet?

Is cornbread supposed to be sweet?

Cornbread "styles" vary from region to region, city to city, even between branches of the same family.

Make it how you want.
If you don't like a preparation from a restaurant, don't get it anymore.
If you hate your nearly-dead grannie's cornbread, just grin and bear it until she croaks, jerk.

Yes, it's made from creamed sweet corn and ground dent corn.

A little, yes, but you don't want it tasting like a cake; don't add too much (if any) sugar

My dad always taught me to add about 2 tbs of sugar, a touch of honey, and about a tbs or two of butter to one of those blue box Jiffy mixes (pleb tier i know but fak off).
It comes out very lightly sweet, but not so much so i couldn't spoon it up with chili.
Its also good the day after in a bowl of warm milk and eaten like cereal

No.

corn cake > corn bread

Salty cornbread>sweetcornbread

Nah man, buttery.

These. No sugar added. Just lots of butter.

You don't have to add sugar since it's made with SWEET corn for it to be sweet, but all the good recipes do since it enhances the flavor of the corn.

Not until you put honey on it

Do add sugar. Not enough to make it sweet.

NEIN

wheat is nutritionally superior to corn, for one, it has much more protein. forget corn.

>much
not really, you have to make the protein in wheat
and the more protein you make, the chewier (less appetizing) it is

No. Cornbread is not dessert.

It's pretty shit but the jiffy stuff is hella convenient. Just needs an egg.

Fuck it's like 4AM and now I'm craving shitty corn muffins

>you have to make the protein in wheat
WTF are you talking about? Kneading doesn't change total protein content, you're just clumping smaller protein molecules together into bigger ones. It all gets digested to the same amino acids.

>That one time I was hanging at a friend's place
>They picked up cornbread instead of cake to go with ice cream

add gravy for protein

Slightly, yes, but never sweet enough to actually BE sweet. You're just supposed to catch a hint of sweetness.

I like it much better savory but frankly southerners put tons of sugar in fucking everything, so most "authentic" cornbread is basically candy yeah.

Enjoy your diabetes, corn has significantly less carbohydrates, as well as less calories and fat

Could you post your sources? I'm only finding stuff that says the complete opposite.

www.livestrong.com/article/443552-nutritional-value-of-wheat-vs-corn/