Chemistry general - /cg/ - Anime visual abstract edition!

Chemistry general - /cg/ - Anime visual abstract edition!

Post chemistry stuff. Talk about what you're working on.

Pic related is from "Photochromism of a Naphthalene-Bridged Imidazole Dimer Constrained to the “Anti” Conformation"

DOI: 10.1021/ol401012u

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamic_square
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm bored so I'm skipping through pages in a book called "Molecules and Medicine."

post stamps

I think you meant post more anime abstracts. This is the cover of a peer reviewed journal.

>

Does this work?

Thats not actually the cover right

Is it from a peer reviewed journal?
whatever, it's still a visual abstract

Veeky Forums is a peer reviewed journal. Yes

i need to contrast and compare agent orange and thioTEPA
i'm doing general chemistry but this seems like i'm doing organic chem.
i've figured out that agent orange has ester in it which says it's a carboxylic acid. would it be safe to assume this is the "deadly" part of the compound?
also i know what a carbon link looks like but i wanted to know if pic related is right. with every carbon there are 2 H molecules connected to fulfill the octet rule?

>would it be safe to assume this is the "deadly" part of the compound
If only it were that easy user.

>with every carbon there are 2 H molecules connected to fulfill the octet rule?
Yes, the hydrogen is implicit and is shown only if its necessary. (ex: to differentiate formaldehyde from acetone)

Majored in Biochem & Molecular Biology but can't get employment because I don't have any internships or experience. My fault just didn't care at the time. Thinking about going back for a chemical engineering degree. Thoughts?

damn.
am i at least right with identifying ester? or is that also wrong?
thanks. so why does phosphorus have exceed 8e?

Keep applying everyday bro. Apply to out of state jobs too. I recently got a job as an analytical chemist after 5 months out of college. Took a while and I was getting a bit worried I majored in the wrong field. Although I'm still considering going back to school later down the road.

>why does phosphorus have exceed 8e?
Because the octet "rule," along with the 18-electron "rule," is merely some guide. [math]2(1^2) = 2[/math], [math]2(2^2) = 8[/math], [math]2(3^2) = 18[/math], etc. The """orbitals""" of phosphorous are said to involve their d-electrons in bonding in molecules such as [math]\text{PCl}_5[/math], but this is just handwaving the situation. There's also diborane which you could look at which forms a "Y bond."

anybody wanna talk about lc-ms or two-dimensional lc

does this qualify?

not exactly anime, but who cares

Dear god that's fucking awful. Looks like something from a shitty deviant art. Wow the team isn't asian.

10/10 good work, definately counts

I want to see more of these awful things.

Hey how do I learn so many mechanisms in Organic chemistry?

you dont

>analytical chemist
curious, when you say this, is it with a bsc? or bsc+msc?

I'm writing a lab report on the extraction of glycogen from liver and that's going all fine and dandy.
The lab manual is asking a question -

Explain how the precipitation reaction of the saturated sodium sulphate solution and ethanol works after mechanical disruption.

I don't quite understand the chemistry between the sodium sulphate and ethanol.

By actually doing exercises and trying out some simple synthesis problems

deadliest part of Agent Orange is the Dioxin it's contaminated with, user. maybe focus on that?

Thanks!

Are the job prospects of a chemistry major really that bad? What if you go to grad-school? What about Bio-chem?

Biomedical chemist here. I am borderline homeless.

Where does that pic come from? I saw Abe talk a few weeks ago, and he did not strike me as an anime type

Elements X and Y form a compound in which there i sone atom of X for every four atoms of Y. When these elements react, it is found that 1.00 g of X combines with 5.07 g of Y.

When 1.00 of X combines with 1.14 g of O, it forms a compound containing two atoms of O for each atom of X. What is the atomic mass of Y?

I've tried approaching this question with the law of multiple/definite proportions, and I've found the mass of Y. But I don't know how to find the atomic mass of Y....

there is one*

Fuck you fucking chemshitstry especially biofuck dick shit die in a fucking oxidation penis cock ass. Fucking """science""". Glad I switched majors; thanks for wasting my life. If I didn't value knowledge so much i'd disintegrate every chem textbook known to mankind. Go learn math you brainlet coward useless simplified physics 2.0 (now with even less math!!!!1one zomg)

You need to be the best of the best to be secure.
Everything is being shipped off to China and India. Godking Trump doesn't care about us nerds, so that won't be stopping any time soon

I hear analytical chemists do really well though, one of my friend's wife has a PhD in mass spectrometry and she's constantly getting job offers delivered to her door

What's a good crash course -- book or video series or whatever -- to get me up to basic chemistry literacy, starting from nothing? I'm more interested in theory than applications.

I'm interning at a lab that deals heavily with chelation of lanthanides by molecules such as DOTA. Anyone have any good protocols/papers/textbooks to recommend?

You're pathetic.

Is there any good resource with a list of mechanisms or just basic reactions of them?
I need to start writing flash cards out.
flash cards

Anyone here going into finance? I have a pretty good GPA and a math minor with my chem degree but I'm not sure I want to continue in chemistry. Don't really know where I'd get started. I could get into a top business school, I suspect, but I doubt it's worth it.

not smart enough for chemistry, gotcha

DOI is in the OP. It was probably one of his grad students.

>I got Cs in orgo and physiology

Don't listen to DO. THE. HOMEWORK.

my orgo prof said that the honework assignments were shit and to find other things to do.

Hows computational chemistry in terms of job prospects? Should I just take an extra year and do chemE in case grad school won't work out?

HW really depends on where you get it from. I think it's kinda hard to come up with "good" HW questions sometimes.

If you wanna learn mechanisms I suggest you try to rationalize them out step-by-step. Know what's stable and what isn't. Know why the electrons are moving around. Check each step as it's outlined in your text, and try to understand why other hypothetical paths don't end up being correct.

Then, start from the beginning and try to do the mechanism and its intermediates without help.

Jojo's bizarre enzyme

Holy hell, that's amazing.

Thank you friend

why?
Its not even that great of a program

>post yfw spartan is a far better and useful software for only half the price

bretty sure it actually is the "active" part of the component

my guess would be the mechanism of action is the same as with lost-molecules (picture related - especially second step where the nucleophile attacks)

seems plausible

Almost done with synthesis of this thing. I like it even though it's a bitch to handle. Will post my (dirty) 1H and 27Al NMR if wanted.
Also, post comfy organometallics!

Because it's (((academic))).
Back in high school, I always used ChemSketch. Does the trick just as well.

The deadly part of agent orange, for plants, is that it acts as an auxin. There isn't a specific part of the molecule that is deadly, its general shape is just capable of doing what natural auxins would i.e causing plants to grow. They go into overdrive and die.
It seems (I'm not sure about this, just skimming wikipedia) that the cancer causing part of agent orange is not the chemical itself but TCDD contamination.

Organometalics sux, but i just prepared herrmann catalyst in 88% yield, personal top
Also helicene masterrace

How unstable is that? Recently, i have worked with Et3Al, it was not pleasant...

Post reaction pathway!

Darn unstable. I had to change the apparatus several times with Argon counter-flow, so no air got in. Imagine the stability of tert-Butyllithium or n-Butyllithium. Both smoke and burn when in contact with air or humidity. Apart from that, Al(tBu)3 is surprisingly stable under vacuum.

Posting byproduct of my reaction (AlBr3 with tBuLi to Al(tBu)3) for the sole purpose of education.

post them sweet sweet NMRs boyo
i wanna get all up in those homotopic protons

>tBuLi byproduct

THAT SHIT AIN'T COMFY

Fuck.

I'm trying to decide if I should major in Chemistry or Mathematics (w/ a chem minor). Everyone tells me that a chemistry degree is just trash. Even my organic chemistry professor, with a phD and helped synthesize dodecahedrane and has a ton of patents can't get a job back in the industry any more.

what do I do bros? I'm going to UCSD if it matters

Oh, shit. This follows me even here.
I was synthesising Al(tBu)3 this week, having issues with the byproduct so far. The research group which needs it has been trying for decades to somehow surpress the iBu-product, with little success. But now it seems like I found a way to create huge amounts of just that second product, which isn't entirely comforting.

Will post mine too, if this thread lives long enough for me to do so after possibly another cleanup.

does that guy smell like shit or something because there's no way its that hard to find a job with a chemistry degree

He's not looking for an entry level lab-rat job. He has 20 years experience in pharmaceuticals. He wants to quit teaching

Chemgapedia if you can read German. That is the one good thing I can think of, sadly. Most of the content there is written by graduated doctors.

What year are you? Double major in both if you can't decide.

I'm at UCLA and I have no idea about job prospects. But if it's anything like here, a chem/math double major is pretty easy to do if you choose a physical chemistry concentration and use all your electives on upper division math.

Transfer. My first quarter wrapping up in two weeks. I'm maybe a little behind in units, as I just about to finish Ochem1 and Multivariable Calculus. I did well in both I guess

They're pretty dissimilar here. Chem BS has basically no math. You take up to differentials and you're done. The rest is straight labs and chemistry lectures.

Huh. Same for our Chem BS but there are a couple concentrations offered. I went for physical because I like math and nearly flunked orgo I and II. Now I never have to take orgo again and get to do a bunch of math

That's kinda funny. I actually really like orgo, but we have no physical chemistry specialties. The closest would be just a pure Chemistry major which requires 3 quarters of P.chem, then you can take some upper division electives (which I guess you can just fill with more p.chem). The rest is shit like biochem, "molecular synthesis", environmental chemistry...

I like chemistry and math a lot, kind of wish I applied as a chemical engineer, but that major is capped and I wont have the prereqs in time to apply. They only let you apply once after your first year as a transfer student. Any later than that, and you can't.

Got a test on Tuesday and Chemical Equilibrium is fucking me up. Do you guys have any good resources or techniques?

Let's make fun of the glorified plumbers known as chemical engineers

buy yourself a brain
chemical equilibrium is arguably the easiest part of pchem

would it kill you people to actually provide usable advice every now and then, the guy is just asking nicely

no wonder you're still virgins

>le virgin gambit
whatever mate, as you wish
here's a bunch of useful advices and techniques that I use myself:
>attend lectures
>do homework
>use google
shit, had this guy asked a specific question or problem, I would have gladly answered this, but what he asked... well refer to aforementioned "techniques", because they cover the subject quite well

have you gone through some "intro to kinetics" stuff yet? that should help immensely

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamic_square

that scheme also is pretty dope

>Synthesise highly air-sensitive for a PhD student
>Get horrible yield despite doing everything under argon atmosphere
>Tell supervisor
>"You should be able to get a better yield, we do this everyday here."
Ffs, why do these people think I should be able to have PhD-level lab skills when I'm barely an undergrad?!

Got you covered, senpai. Sorry for the wait. [math]^{1}\text{H}[/math] NMR is pretty straight forward. Since the 27 protons are all equivalent, there's only one peak at ~1.1 ppm. The small peak at about 7.3 ppm is coming from the C6D6 solvent. Since it is only 99.8 % pure, you can still see an aromatic signal of the remaining 0.2 %. The small peaks around 1.0 ppm should be leftover grease, which is unavoidable, given the conditions I worked in.
I'm still working out what could've happened during synthesis because my [math]^{27}\text{Al}[/math] spectrum is looking weird. Between the first (unclear) and the second NMR, I stored everything under Argon at 240 K, so I don't think it could have isomerised but it seems so. I'll have to figure that one out for the lab report. My guess is that something might have reacted with air while transferring the sample into the NMR tube or that the argon I used during synthesis wasn't clean. But I'm no expert in [math]^{27}\text{Al}[/math] NMR, so every help is appreciated here.

I'm struggling at the moment with my General Chemistry I class. I just cannot seem to understand hybridized orbitals and how to draw them out. Any suggestions on how to approach this and VBT?

I think I've asked this question before, but I don't understand the mechanisms behind some preservatives.

Sodium benzoate is a salt formed from NaOH and benzoic acid, so Na+ should be a very weak conjugate acid, while the "benzoate" ion is benzoic acid's weak conjugate base, if I'm recalling this correctly. According to some papers I've read, this benzoate ion can enter the cell membrane of microbes and lower the pH in there, but if this ion is the conjugate base of benzoic acid, shouldn't it raise the pH inside the cell instead of lowering it?

That's a carboxylate ion, it's an intermediate in esterification but is not an ester itself, just a deprotonated carboxylic acid.

ternanshy?

Just a bachelors. Thinking about applying for a PhD next year though. Not really sure though.

bump

>chemistry and math people have their own generals and largely don't bother anyone
>physics people shitpost about how good they are at (babby level) math and how engineering is ridiculously easy
>engineers make ridiculous threads and boast about the jobs they don't have

Are chemistry and math the two purest STEM disciplines?

>a mustard AND a phosphate AND a thionyl group
fucking nerve agents