Is it worth it?

In Australia, smokers are pretty expensive since we have to import them from the states. A Webber smoky mountain will cost me 400 dollaroos at Bunnings. To those with smokers, is it worth it? Also Is the taste of charred smoked meat really that different to grilled meat?

Other urls found in this thread:

popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/a778/3372796/
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2154897
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2786560
theselfsufficientliving.com/15-homemade-smokers-to-add-smoked-flavor-to-meat-or-fish/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

any cheap kettle grill can be a smoker

Yes and yes

You can build one yourself if you're that desperate for real barbecue.
popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/a778/3372796/

So what does Australia have against them that you don't have a domestic producer?

Nig rig your own smoker.

Kettles arent suitable for long smokes like brisket

no. you can smoke with a weber kettle grill.

never done a brisket. I've done smaller turkeys and pork loins before.

We should use people like this as fuel? In all seriousness, how do you hold a funeral for someone like this? Do they need a forklift to carry the 5XL coffin to the grave?

I think they have bigger coffins, or you can get some custom made. My guess is they probably put the thing on wheels and just push it down the church isle. That or they cremate them although seriously I have no idea how he would fit. I am fucking serious I have seen some of the incinerators they use and the entrances are often fairly narrow in terms of width and just normal sized people fit. We need to start making soylent green.

>It's people!

Just go to a nice restaurant that serves smoked meat and try it yourself before you waste hundreds of dollars

This.
They're pretty much hallow hunks of metal and primitive as fuck.
I refuse to believe there isn't enough of a market, no matter how niche, that some Australian hasn't welded together some sheets of metal yet.

that fat cunt just has a chopped 44 on an overengineered trailer

Theres not much of a smoking culture here. Most Australians only know grilling for bbq. Australian butchers dont even stock staple smoking cuts like Brisket. Although smoked fish is now pretty popular thanks to European migrants who settled here after ww2

yes they are. you just have to control the temperature by building a 3-zone fire

fucking Australians don't even know how to cook low and slow

How does smoke meat taste like? Never had it in Aus. Is it just a more intense charcoal flavor

It's very delicious so I would definitely pay the 400 bucks

No, it incorporates the flavor of the wood, best wood for smoking is hickory IMO, but you also need to prep it with a good rub prior to smoking

Are we really missing out? Smoking seems like more of a meme.

It's not a meme, the meat becomes so tender, flavorful and silky

I wish you cunts could actually taste good barbeque, you wouldn't even ask that question

Is it a pain in the ass? Only to someone who hasn't done it before, but when it's done right it is literally heaven in your mouth

Make it outta a file cabinet

It opens a whole new way to enjoy food. I don't have a smoker but you can set up any grill to do it as long as its big enough. Here's a few chickens and some salmon I made about a month ago

and a turkey i did on thanksgiving

this looks genius, i've already searched up a file cabinet on craigslist

look up the little chief, tiny little inexpensive smoker that i fucking love. you cant adjust the heating element, and it will only get hot enough to produce smoke, but i've made some of the best fuckin ribs on the thing.

Ausfag here.
Got a huge charcoal smoker from a guy on eBay.
Plenty of barebcues galore stores now stock lump charcoal but I found a guy on Gumtree that does about 5 huge sacks of Ironbark, oak, peach or pecan for $50.
Smoking lamb ribs, chicken and maybe some almonds or peanuts this weekend.
Best part of smoking food apart from eating it is after the prep downing several (or 20) beers while the food smokes.

I thought they just cut em up into pieces before incineration

I've heard of uncontrolled fires starting at crematoriums because their fat drips and burns

bet the food tastes like rust and paint

Yup, I remember that story, too. The dead guy's body fat produced such massive amount of soot that that filters and as a result the chimney was blocked. The crematorium burnt down. Ultimate victory.

>filing potatoes above chicken
but that's not alphabetical order senpai.

you're right about that. largest thing i've pulled off was a 8lb pork shoulder or two slabs or st. louis cut ribs. keeping them away from direct heat was a bitch and caused the cook time to go a lot higher than it would with a dedicated smoker.
it's worth it if you love smoked meat that much and can justify it economically. if it's as expensive there as it is here to have a BBQ dinner and meat is as cheap as it is here.... would you be saving money in the long run doing cooks at home for family get-togethers and dinner and stuff? i'd say bite the bullet. or get a welder to make you one from an old drum. cut it down the middle, add a fire box to the side, put a handle on it and some vents and a chimney.

get a metal barrel, some scrap steel, and a welder and you can make yourself a smoker. there's probably plans online how to do one without a welder also

If you put sauce on it go fuck yourself.

Fuck right off texas.

Sauce is just sugar sludge. If you want that then just eat sugar. People that actually know how to smoke meat do the rub and smoking properly.

Just take the plans to a fab shop and ask them to quote you a price.

Tell them an old gas tank will suffice

I can't decide if this is genius or a terrible idea.

It doesn't look like it has either, but I would worry that it had one of those metals that gives off toxic fumes when heated.

Terrible because of the coatings they put on a filing cabinet.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2154897
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2786560
Multiple separate incidents

BBQ is a poor mans' food. Make your own.

theselfsufficientliving.com/15-homemade-smokers-to-add-smoked-flavor-to-meat-or-fish/

Make a hot fire underneath it and burn the paint off before using it to smoke anything.

What the fuck? Seriously? I thought AUS was just like a giant continent sized version of the american south. Muscle cars, rednecks, retardation and racial intolerance, you all ahve it all but you DON'T HAVE ANY FUCKING SMOKERS? WHERE'S THE FUCKING BARBECUE?

I'm disappointed in your nation now.

>shrimp on the barbie

What did they mean by this?!

>poor man's food
That's why BBQ joint TS charge at least $12/lb for pork right?

It's traditionally a slave/poverty food used with the lowest cost pieces of meat.

It's not my fault you're cucked into paying someone 4X the price of the meat for them to cook it for you.

Holy shit look at that dude's legs...

>we have to import them from the states

>Barrel technology has not reached australian shores

I'm not cucked into shit, that's what people have to pay because that's the market
>paying for food makes you a cuck
Yeah, problem is if no one went to McDonald's your ass wouldn't have a job

>not cucked into shit

Not realizing he is directly cucked into the corporate hands of his overlords. You're so much further cucked by the Koch brother-Clear Channel/Breitbart propaganda than any leftist that listens to "Democracy Now" or PBS will ever be.

>look everyone I'm projecting over a word

Just shut the fuck up and get off your goddamn soapbox reddit

This go find an old oil drum and fix it up, it's pretty fucking easy

>A Webber smoky mountain will cost me 400 dollaroos at Bunnings. To those with smokers, is it worth it?

Most people here seem to think so.

>Also Is the taste of charred smoked meat really that different to grilled meat?

Absolutely.