How much do top universities matter?

How much do top universities matter? Is something like top 50 in the world and top 3 nationally good if someone wants to get a master's from top American university?
Or do you get a bachelor's from a midrange school and then apply for expensive top uni?

Also is the teaching standard really high in such unis?

>Also is the teaching standard really high in such unis?

The opposite. Top university=shitty teaching.

>How much do top universities matter?
For what?
>Is something like top 50 in the world and top 3 nationally good if someone wants to get a master's from top American university?
Certainly not enough to get admitted just for that.
>Also is the teaching standard really high in such unis?
No, it's mostly good but not as good as you'd think.

If you are actually good at what you are doing, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Having a degree from some Ivy league bullshit school is usually not that important in STEM. Also, if you want to learn what you have to look at is how students rate the university. Stuff like scientific reputation etc is secondary. When you do your PhD that changes, but until then go look for a comfy school that feels good to you. It's pretty easy to get lost in a huge top university.

My question should be more like
Should one bother with bachelor's from exoensive top uni if one can do bachelor's from midrange or random college and then apply for masters at top uni?
Some people say it's not possible some say good uni is a must
Assuming of course good grades and extracurriculars also projects.

Bump

They don't matter too much unless you are doing finance and law but you should still go to a very good uni

I have the iit entrance exam but got a rank just outside of getting into top 5. So my choice is a shitty college in Mumbai university or university of sydney. What should I do if goal is masters in top American uni?

For STEM, the school's matters FAR less than what you did while you were there.

A student who did four years of undergrad research at a mid-range uni looks way better to an admissions committee than a student who did no research at a top-10 school.

Is USC top 50 in the world?

Fuck no. USC isn't even top 50 in SoCal

USC engineering nublet

Hey there fellow Bruin

they got purer drugs like coke

>four years of undergrad research

who the fuck is hiring freshmen for lab work though.

Who's the cunt that changed mount stupid to "hill of stupidity"?
Mount stupid is a much better name

"Undergrad research" includes stuff like being a lab monkey for a grad student/postdoc

Can someone from a no-name college get into top tier university for masters?

Yes it happens all the time. It is not that hard to get into grad school at the better colleges because the system is dependent on each student paying 100K for their masters degree. This does not apply to professional school.

I actually agree with this. I went to a top 50 school and a nobodies school and I thought the nobodies school actually had significantly better teaching overall

I'm a pajeet whos not in iit. Am i better off here or some top 5 uni in canada or australia?