What exactly is TIME?

>Can someone tell me the correct scientific definition of time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GguAN1_JouQ
youtube.com/watch?v=vtkGtXtDlQA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it does not really exist . all there is is the everlasting Now

the 4th dimension that goes straight in a vector space of dark energy encumbered by the anti-dark energy which created the singularity for the universe to explode off from

this is like physics 101 dude

The little t in the equations. That captures the 'understanding' that physicists have of time, quite nicely.

Thanks user

prepare your mind to be blown

youtube.com/watch?v=GguAN1_JouQ

succession of states

Time is what a clock measures.

Imagine shining a flashlight on a completely flat wall. There's a circle with the diameter of X.

Now, start moving that flashlight in the 3rd dimension that the wall lacks - depth. Move it further away from the wall.

What happened? The circle expanded in the second dimension and the photons creating the circle got away from each other, making it less visible.

The universe is the "circle" that is being projected by a 4d entity in 4d space, and the progression of the movement inside its 4d space (the "forward and backward" movement inside the 4th dimension) creates a progression for the universe, which we call "time".

>tl;dr - our universe is a 4d flashlight being shined over a 3d surface, with the 4d movement of the flashlight translating into "time"

distance/rate

the milieu between two events

TIME's a magazine

Wow!!!

Time is a tool you can put on the wall or wear it on your wrist

Read this stupid

That makes way more sense than it should

The progression of instances at a rate relative to the processing capability of the observer.

>The progression of instances at a rate relative to the processing capability of the observer.???????

Damn, I just got myself thinking about this earlier today

Really makes you think huh?

Time is man-made.

Essentially a slide show of instantaneous "snapshots" of the universe that progresses at the rate in which the observer is capable of viewing it. A human's processing capability is limited due to the transmission of the signals throughout their body and the speed at which the brain is able to digest and comprehend that information. Stuff like conductivity and length of the nerves will impact how quickly an individual processes information. A hummingbird has very quick reflexes and will perceive the world around it at a higher speed than we do due to the length of the nerves and processing capability of its brain, therefore time appears to moves slower. That is what time is to a living organism.

Time has no value or importance if referred to independent of an observer. It may be a pretty meta answer but it's a pretty meta question.

Thank you senpai, your IQ must be about 180, damnnn I'm a dumb hick.

I never claimed my opinion is correct.

Time is a dimensional mapping on the Universe, such that the Lorenz group holds

How quickly we process things doesnt impact the time it takes for them to happen

A hummingbird and a human will see a ball go by in the exact same time frame. The bird will simply process this happening slightly before the human does, but the ball wont have sped up or anything like that for the hummingbird.

kex

The off signature dimension of a Lorentzian manifold.

The human will perceive the ball going faster than the hummingbird will due to the time it takes to process the information. To the hummingbird it takes longer for the ball to travel a given distance because it is processing the information at a different rate. It's comparable to a high speed camera versus a normal video camera due to the frame rate difference.

Point being, time is relative to the observer and therefore can't be quantified without reference to an arbitrary scale.

Get a life you shitface teen.

Better yet, tell me the scientific definition of "position"

OMG...

Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Space is what keeps it a from happening to YOU.

>time thread
>no mention of entropy

The study of time is known as Horology. I don't know much about the subject. There are free books on archive.org if your interested in reading about it.

The motion of everything all at once

This is more of a philosophy and metaphysics question.

A measurement of motion

The second is the duration of 9192631770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom

I've heard once time is a measurement of change. Is that too much of an oversimplification, or will it still make me sound pseudo-intellectual?

risd

TIME is a magazine you stupid bitch

An Archon.

the indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present, and future regarded as a whole.

m i n d
B L O W N

Time is gay.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY BACKYARD GET OUT OF MY BACKYARD

what are you discussing about

my noggin was a joggin

Mind currently nuked

the indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present, and future regarded as a whole.

Teaching your son about the universe

Hmm...you are suggesting that time is dependent on the observer but as a unit one second still boils down to one second. A human might process at 100 fps and the humming bird 1000 but it does not change that a measurable unit of time has past regardless of the overseers experience of it.

Why are you greentexting a question?

He's just messing with everyone, and he wants to make it obvious to the people who are paying attention.

time = money

Cheers, nice link mate.

If the universe began contracting instead of expanding, would find reverse?

Tip

It is energy

>time
>itme
>it me

Tag, your it!

Time is illusory - it doesn't exist independantly. All there is to time is the current thought that imagines it, and every time that goes away, time is no longer experienced (but actually, it was never experienced in the first place. It only seemed to be experienced from the illusory view point of thought).

Time is the unfolding; in a being with no motion, there is no time. The faster the motion, the faster the time.

Time is the flowering; it radiates out from events. The speed of motion is the reach of time.

Time is the enmeshing; adjacent beings can have over laping times. Other beings can be beyond the reach of times.

Time is being; it is risible to speak of going back in time, as the past is already present.

>It is qualitatively defined as the second division of the hour by sixty, the first division by sixty being the minute. SI definition of second is "the duration of 9 192 631 770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom
The literal definition of a second.

Right so a second is a constant regardless of observers experience of it.

Think of it like a very, very, very long candle wick with time being the part that is burning.

This reads like it is from Douglas Adams

does this answer your question?
youtube.com/watch?v=vtkGtXtDlQA

Only for observers within the reference frame of the caesium atom.
Imagine you could be outside of the universe. Let's say for arguments sake that outside the time flow is constant.

If within the universe, time changes, so does the time it takes for ~9 billion periods of radiation to pass. Ergo, when time slows down within our reference frame, so does our definition of the measurement of time, leading us to believe that time is a constant thing.