Who else here was

Who else here was
>kek smart but lazy meme
before university but then stepped it up once they entered higher education? what's your story user, why'd you pick stem?

>made straight Bs in highschool
>got good enough test scores to get in mid tier state uni
>figure I should probably do engineering if I want a job
>swap to applied math after first year
>about to finish applied math major, EE minor in 3 years
>already accepted to master's program at top 100 worldwide school
>realize that somehow I grew out of the lazy shit I used to be
> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pic related: who doesn't love fun shapes?

>Complete failure in high school, always passed with the equivalent of a B
>But this was actually just As in physics and chemistry, Bs or lower in math and a bunch of Ds everywhere else
>Even failed mathematics, an actual F, at one point because I spent an entire trimester just sleeping in class
>I was always salty and would openly say that I wish I could just choose to do half math, half physics every day instead of having to do a bunch of bullshit like history, english literature, etc.
>Now it is clear to me that this was the reason I cared so little about school.
>Then I graduate but feel no personal change.
>My intelligence is the same and my attitude is generally the same.
>Enter uni, studying pure mathematics
>Still don't study but now I do not sleep in class, pay close attention and even do problems for fun when I feel like it
>Straight As boiiiii

I would say I am still lazy. I have finals next week and I have 2 tests this week yet I spent my weekend fucking my girlfriend.

From this I think that no one is really lazy, they just have a bad attitude that is a result of the system not respecting them, therefore you stop respecting and caring about the system, like I did. Now I put as little "effort" into math but now I am pretty good at it, simply because now I actually can enjoy the environment I am in.

Seeing my 'talent' my professors now even question me about not going into the math olympiad ever and question me about why my grades in math were so shit (so shit I was almost not even accepted) but now I am the top student in every class.

I am still salty though.

IF I COULD HAVE STUDIED 5 HOURS OF MATH AND 4 HOURS OF PHYSICS EVERY DAY BACK IN MIDDLE SCHOOL AND HIGH SCHOOL I WOULD NOW BE THE NEXT EINSTEIN, I WOULD HAVE 50 PHDS AND 10 WIVES.

50 PhDs and 10 wives... all taken from me because of a shitty and broken school system that does not let me pick my classes. Fuck school.

>tfw your elementary, jr high, and high school all let you use a calculator now your math abilities are permanently crippled and you can barely do long division

>and you can barely do long division

>tfw this is true for you before uni but then you study number theory and studying the euclidean algorithm your brain becomes a long division machine that will work till the end of days because for the final you even had to prove the theorem and relevant corollaries.

>tfw couldn't divide properly until i saw the number theory proofs and theorems about euclidean algorithm and modular arithmetic

does this make a genius or an idiot?

>grow up with aggressive parents
>they keep moving from town to town, I can never make any friends and sometimes I don't even speak the language
>other kids make fun of me for not having developed social skills and not speaking their language
>get depressed, start getting bad grades after bad grades because I don't care anymore
>parents start treating me like shit, telling me I'll never do anything with my life and that nobody will ever love a failure like me
>get even more depressed
>want to drop out of school asap to live on my own and leave my parents behind. But my parents keep telling I need to go to college at some point because it's cool or some shit.
>I have no real plans anyway so whatever, as long as they stop screaming at me
>go to equivalent of "late" high school in my country, keep getting bad grades and having no friends because at this point I don't give a shit anymore
>3rd year there, halway through the semester my french teacher (it's my native language) wants to talk to every student to give them feedback on their grades.
>It's my turn
>expect to get insulted, as always.
>he actually tells me I have a way with words
>tells me he sees a lot of potential in me, and that if I start working harder I'd be more than qualified to be a good student
>actually get teary eyed
>start working hard because I don't want to disappoint him
>get good grades in every single class
>find a passion for science and maths
>become one of the best students in my class
>end up going to a well reputed university and doing well in it.
That teacher was such a cool guy, I don't know what I'd be doing right now if it wasn't for him.

When you write your autobiography please remember to forget he was a french teacher and say he was your rad math teacher.

I wish. I'm doing my master's at the moment and am only getting the hang of working a full day every day, thanks to a super work-intensive semester project (ASIC design). I finished my BSc with pretty good grades but always slacked off during the semester.
Sure feels better to actually work for your success though.

I'm in community college getting my generals done for free. Almost 2 years in and I haven't accomplished anything except making a 3.0 in community honors classes I don't care about. All I've done is rule out every uni career except chemistry, neuroscience and architecture. I'll probably just retake the act, get a 34 and transfer to a mid tier state school, but I'm sure as fuck still lazy as of rn.

>>realize that somehow I grew out of the lazy shit I used to be
>> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
HOW?

>math teacher
>"you have a way with words"
Like a math teacher would pick up on a student's potential and lack of motivation through language and speech, and not through scores and statistics. Keep it as the language teacher, .

I think the key comes from changing your habits.

Were you going to play a game on your phone while in line, or were you going to read your textbook on your phone?

If you're going to watch videos online, are you watching gaming channels, or are you watching science/math channels?

If you're going to read things online, are you reading wikipedia articles or are you reading comics?

By changing what you do in your free time, your homework will feel closer to your free time. Eventually you don't feel much of a difference any more and getting work done doesn't feel like a chore in your life.

>Came to America to escape war
>13 years Dad Died
>Mom Never around
>Bullied and beat up
>Sold Drugs to pay for living expenses
>Worked 3 hours a day everyday
>went to church
>Skipped 2 grades
>Went to UCSF
>Transferred to Berkeley Med-School
>Set up a chain of medical practices
>Got cancer
GG.
Mine.

>leave high school with a 3.7
>parents divorce midway through senior year
>mother is all kinds of crazy and takes out all her emotions on me
>told my dreams are stupid and get no help applying for college
>depressed and stressed out constantly
>work shitty jobs for two years
>no future no goals=>make shitty friends smoke weed every day
>finally start community college while still working 30 hours a week
>1st semester straight As
>2nd semester stress sets in, start smoking weed again, mother still batshit=> poor grades
>BADLY break collarbone day before fall semester begins
>finally drop stressful job
>still stressed=>gpa drops to 1.4
>fuck fuck fuck
>spring semester take a geology class
>fall in love
>spend next year retaking classes and fixing gpa
>current year getting full ride at community college 3.2 gpa
>independent study geo, reg geo, chem, physics, calc I, secretary of geo club, working at a liquor store on the weekends
>finishing associates in science this spring

I'm 24 so I still feel like a failure, but at least things are finally coming together. Applying to transfer to a state school for next fall now. Hopefully things will work out.

Nice blog post, faggot.

I still have trouble adding numbers together that are multiple digits.

It doesn't matter, since I'm still able to be successful in a top 20 math PhD program.

Good on ya dude, keep it up

How. How do you not just take 30 minutes every other day or so to work on that? It'd be so easy. It's helpful when you're making purchases and balancing your accounts.

I learned long division for both integers and polynomials in school but I forgot. I even remember that by late high school my division skills were shit as calculators were allowed.

Then I learned where division came from, had to basically smoke Euclid for a week and now I am a new man.

>Who else here was
>>kek smart but lazy meme
>before university but then stepped it up once they entered higher education? what's your story user, why'd you pick stem?

>tfw I actually made a full circle
as soon as my internship and current semester started I began neglecting the study, and putting all of my powers into future employment.
in fact, current semester burnt my ass so bad, that I even made a thread here

>study orgo chem
>have 2,5 subjects that have something to do with chem
>rest are dicksucking engi shit, ecology, civil safety, history of national culture

>drop out of high school in tenth grade after failing because psycho bitch mother
>immediately enroll in CC and get 4.0
>transfer to uni and continue to get 4.0
>double major in statistics/philosophy and blow them both the fuck out
My only regret is having to start in pre calc, causing me to be behind. Can't smart but lazy into math because it builds on itself, at least i taught myself algebra 1 so none of my classes were considered remedial.

>2.0 GPA

>Counselor told me that there's no hope for me and I should go to a trade school or join the military

>Ignored her advice and attended a local state university

>Later transferred to MIT

I keep beening smart but lazy. But it doesn't mean I didn't accomplished anything.
It appears you can study at good uni, get a nice job simultaneously and have great opportunities without working too much, you just need to be smart.

How is philosophy? Is it fun?

It's a lot of writing but it's more interesting than sci memes would have you think, it's an easy extra major but a waste of time by itself.

>already accepted to master's program at top 100 worldwide school
Aren't general rankings kind of irrelevant for graduate programs? The best schools in a specialty might not be the top general schools. For example U Wisconsin Madison isn't Harvard but is better than most ivies for microbio.

I have been thinking about majoring it

what is generally most important is just a department of good people to work with. most if not all of the top 100 schools have this.

Not him, but I have dyscalcula. I constantly have to put simple addition/multiplication into the calculator so that I don't do it backwards. It really really sucks. 99% of my errors on tests are me flipping numbers around every fucking time. It's at the point where I have a habit of double checking every single arithmetic operation even if they are the simplest things. Really really sucks.

I'm that smart but lazy meme until I took a graduate class in a neat topic, impressed prof, now I work really hard as an RA, funded grad school, etc

>be both lazy and stupid
>fail so many times that accidentally you have enough points to get a double major and masters
>first job, you absolutely suck at it
>no one feels threatened by you thanks to your lack of skill
>you're forced to delegate to make things happen
>supervisors drinking the "quiet leadership" cool aid
>half a year later you're a team leader
>literally leading guys with 5-7 years of experience, straight A's, "started working while studying" types

can't make this shit up

I stopped applying myself sophomore year and fucked up my GPA. Gonna graduate with a 3.1 but my semester GPA have been 3.4-3.7 last few semesters
Youre not lazy, you just give up.

It depends on the field. In some of the more competitive fields you can do ever right and do a great thesis but you'll still have trouble finding work if firms don't recruit from your school. It's all about supply and demand.

It's the opposite for me. In Germany, for medical and law degrees you don't get grades except for three state-conducted exams; you just have to pass the tests with 50% in the meantime. So I just barely do enough to get 50% now.

>Be a lazy 15/16 year old in middle school
>Get Bs in my GCSEs
>Start A levels doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths
>Fail all first tests
>kickintheass.jpeg
>Start studying 3-4 hours a day
>Start getting Bs and As

I was a really good student in high school, and when I started University I studied like a madman, until I failed the calculus I exam and it broke me down, I stopped studying and started getting bad grades.

Fortunately I took the test again, I passed it and I was back to normal

I was a trash failure in highschool. Suffered from severe depression, and no one really ever knew. I was a relatively popular individual. I had a lot of friends, but school seemed pointless so I only did enough work to pass. I went to Penn State and bombed out miserably because I had no study habits. Attempted suicide, and worked for a few years in various landscaping/plant nursery positions, and went to therapy. Once I finally got a handle on my depression I went back to school a completely different person. I'm much happier then I've ever been. A bit bummed that I'll be 26 when I graduate, but at the very least I'll have a degree doing something I love.

Quelle université /lycée ?

When I realized that I couldn't get away with just listening to lessons and I had to do most of the work at home.

>straight As in math on high school
>wanted to make money using math
>learned about actuarial science and quantitative finance
>teacher recommended top french university
>applied and got in
>discovered how harder math is compared to high school shit so I started to study seriously
>barely passed first and second year
>finally stopped being lazy and became organized

>Later transferred to MIT
>MSc in queer theory

Look out everyone, this guy had to prove the Euclid Algorithm on an exam. He's super smart.

EPFL

T'as géré, je voulais y aller mais je me suis dis que ça coûterait vla cher la vie en Suisse en tant que petit boursier français.
Centrale Paris c'est comfy aussi je suppose, au moins ça me coûte absolument rien.

I know I shouldnt be baited but I wish I wouldnt live in the same world people like you live in.

It's not that I'm lazy, I just can't stand making any effort for things that don't pay off.

Back in HS I did zero homework and studied something between 30 minutes and a couple of hours the day before exam, depending on difficulty, and still got 7/10 and up in almost every exam. Nobody cares what grades you had in HS when you're looking for a job, and here in Spain you can enter almost any public university with a 7.5 average. And private schools aren't any better than public ones here.

Now in university it's kind of the same thing. I can go almost anywhere I want with my current 8.sth average. I just got accepted for doing my final MS year in the US indeed. It ain't the MIT, but it's good enough for me.

And I don't have to deal with shitty subjects and teachers, that give you a 5 in lab practices when you're the first to finish them every day, just because your reports weren't detailed enough.