What is normal

If everyone has some sort of disorder, then isn't not having a disorder the disorder?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.scientificamerican.com/the-curious-wavefunction/is-psychology-a-e2809creale2809d-science-does-it-really-matter/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not science, go to or thank you.

woah dude like woooah #weed

it is, it's psychology.

and social structure

Psychology? First of all, that isn't a hard science. Secondly, that isn't psychology, that is semantics, a riddle.

And if not purely semantics, could be considered a philosophical standpoint, as there isn't anyone devoid of some form of disorder.

nothing starts off as hard science, you must conduct the research. The question is the first step. An observation of a sort.

exactly, that's the wording I was looking for.

>Nothing starts off.
Do you know how old psychology is and yet has made little to no headway toward becoming a hard science?

Yeah, that's semantics: . Semantics isn't psychology, or science, it is language and more at home on Veeky Forums.

it off branched off into neuroscience

Normal is what fits in.
Semantics is about meaning.

alright, i'll go elsewhere

What're you on about? Psychology gave way to neuroscience, just like philosophy gave way to science, yet, we do not consider philosophy a science.

[Citation Needed]

Some are more disordered than others.

You can also define normal as the statistical average of disorders and their magnitudes.

>If everyone has some sort of disorder

They don't, tho. It's one thing to be "a bit bipolar" and have mood swings, quite another to actually have full bipolar disorder. Most disorders are extreme versions of personality types considered "normal", but this doesn't mean the "normal" version of, say, bip or sz, is itself a disorder.

Psychology still exists tho, not all of psych is neuropsych.

This. No you don't have an anxiety disorder because you get stressed, you don't have OCD because you're organized. So no, not everyone has a full blown disorder.

Im a bit shy (get nervous when have to talk in front of crowds, dont like big groups of people, rather want to hang out with only 3-4 people), and because of it was diagnosed with 'social anxiety disorder' after having to do a psychiatrist as part of my job, and was given benzos + some other shit.

checkmate.

face it, nowadays you do get diagnosed with everything if you behave a little out of the ordinary.

Oh god, I've gone undiagnosed with social anxiety exactly because I'm too afraid to talk to anyone about it... sigh

Depends. Which state developed from which, and how did this "bad" state occur? Take lactose tolerance. If your family line has never had the gene, perhaps because you're Asian, you don't have a disorder. However if everyone in your family has the gene except for you because your body can't translate the relevant genes, strictly it would be a disorder I guess.

True, but as I said, "gave way" as in 'lead to'.

>Do you know how old psychology is and yet has made little to no headway toward becoming a hard science?
>blogs.scientificamerican.com/the-curious-wavefunction/is-psychology-a-e2809creale2809d-science-does-it-really-matter/

No. Even if such a person doesn't actually exist it is easy to imagine a person with no such disorders and in peak health with which to compare the population to.

So what? If everyone is fucked up it just means that the standard deviation is large, not that the average doea not exist