Hard work = success

>hard work = success

Has anyone ever done a serious statistical experiment to verify this claim?

Other urls found in this thread:

ted.com/talks/larry_smith_why_you_will_fail_to_have_a_great_career
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes, how could all these spoiled brats born to rich parents be wrong?

Isn't that overwhelmingly obvious? Why would you need a study

>the earth is flat bro just trust your eyes!
>see the vast ocean in the distance? I don't see any curvature. This is all the proof I need that the earth is flat.
>anyone who says otherwise is an anti-white jewish binary-sexual liberal

Welp, better set up a study to see if spraying deodorant in your anus has any effect on on your hearing, just in case it does. I can't trust my common sense on this one.

t. "I'm only poor because the system keeps me down and not because I'm a lazy dumbass"

>common sense

Common sense tells me there have been far, far, far, far more people that worked hard with no success than there are people that worked hard and found success.

>Has anyone ever done a serious statistical experiment to verify this claim?

Not if you're a total dumbass in the field you're working in, obviously.

>>hard work = success
This meme killed my parents and raped my sister

What does it tell you about those who didn't work hard?

Free your mind.

There's pill addicts pulling 100 grand just panhandling, but all their money goes to drug addiction.
They're not struggling to ass kiss a boss for more hours or a small raise. They're not studying to get an interview. They're not inventing things while keeping a day job.
Some people gamble for a living, some people get hired to put other people down. Some people make a living telling penis or fart jokes.

Most people think hard work is labor. You gotta work smart and the grind is what they are talking about.

Depends what you see as hard work and success

We're not discussing "not working hard." Please refer to the OP and sort your shit out.

What if the deoderant has ingrediants which are rectally absorded and which are deletarious to cochlear hair cells?

This Ted talk pretty much nails it.
>You want to work? You want to work really, really, really hard? You know what? You'll succeed. The world will give you the opportunity to work really, really, really, really hard. But, are you so sure that that's going to give you a great career, when all the evidence is to the contrary?

ted.com/talks/larry_smith_why_you_will_fail_to_have_a_great_career

>We're not discussing "not working hard."
That's what I thought.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

What is that picture supposed to be?

I think putting in effort increases your odds of success but does not guarantee it. The world is not inherently fair and sometimes you don't get rewarded for your effort.

Working hard isn't enough but you also have to work smart, for example if money is a major issue unless you are going to a fucking Ivy just go to your state school so you aren't swamped in debt. Work hard to get interships/co-ops/connections depending on what you do. Etc etc

Being rich is a big benefit as it gives you a headstart and there are less pitfalls but a lazy stupid rich kid will probably do much worse than a smart hard working poor person unless the rich kid is the son of some big company owner, in which case he can fall back on being a puppet

It depends on who you are really.
If your father is loaded you will be “successful” even without moving a finger meaning that you probably won't do something important without effort, but you'll live comfortably.
If you're a no one instead there's a good proverb «Maybe your hard work won't be rewarded, but you won't be rewarded for not working» meaning that if you don't want to clean toilets you have to study, but there is also the possibility that you'll work at McDonald even if you've a PhD (an extreme example, but it gives you the idea).

So far, none of you faggots have cited research from a reputable journal nor a working hypothesis on arXiv.

If I wanted all your worthless opinions I would have asked for it on /r9k/

>I would have asked for it on /r9k/
Veeky Forums is /r9k/ for pseudo-intellectuals

Its more like; the capacity to self motivate is the biggest difference between sheep and shepards.

I've never actually heard anyone make the claim that hard work = success. It's always been in the form of "Well, you should probably work hard because you probably won't succeed if you don't". Those aren't equal statements.

Maybe you should design a way to measure the success of con artists and lazy people, to refute that claim instead.

>Maybe you should design a way to measure the success of con artists and lazy people, to refute that claim instead.

thats why I'm asking Veeky Forums.

are there any geniuses among us?

>he wants a statistical experiment for psychology/social science

fucking kek

it's simple and i think most people would agree that you need to work to become successful, so you could logically extrapolate that your chances of success increase the harder you work.

>What's success?
Working for something and getting it.
>Are those rich kids successful?
Do they work for what they want?
>No
They are not successful
>If they grew up and started getting money and invest time in their father's bussiness, would they be successful?
Yes
---
>If I get and achieve my projects, am I successful?
Yes
What's necessary to achieve my projects?
>Work and study
---If Work and study -> Achievement of projects
---If Achievement of projects -> Being successful
Then, Work and study for your projects -> Being successful

No effort -> No success

Effort and study -> Success

Any questions?

this. not working hard absolutely means failure

working hard may not mean success, but at least there's a chance.

Plus working hard is fun. Put your full effort into your work, give your gift as a man to the world.

>psychology is not a science

When will this meme die

people in the NBA practice all the time

thus the hard work meme is born

but practicing all the time won't necessarily lead you to the nba

>hard work = success

Sure, as long as you go from theft to theft, from swindling to swindling, from embezzlement to embezzlement, from pyramid scheme to pyramid scheme, from tax evasion to tax evasion, etc.

>[citation needed]

Let me put it to you like this OP.

If we can agree that success is the measure of opportunities available, by opportunities taken.
Which I think is reasonable.

Then it goes to say that opportunities taken is proportional to ones willingness to take opportunities.

This quality of willingness to take perceived opportunities we can shorten to mean "hard working"

A study conducted on this would be a politicized waste of research money.

Success can come from being born into infinite opportunities, or from having your nose to the grindstone from age 7 onward. However you will find the most success with a combination of the two, and since most of us aren't born into particularly privileged lives the factor we can most effect in hopes of maximizing 'success' is how hard we work at the opportunities presented