Is gravity's range of action infinite?

Is gravity's range of action infinite?

No, but Popeye's range of action is infinite

Is it bound to the mass in the vicinity or is it the same for all massive particles (of the same mass, obviously) no matter what's in their vicinity?

Does gravity have a velocity?

As far as we know.

I don't understand your question. 'Bound'? All mas has gravity, and it doesn't change when in the presence of other mass.

The speed of light. As far as we know.

Yes, but at long ranges the effect can be overshadowed by small but close objects

Why is gravity's velocity the speed of light?
Gravity isn't light. Gravity isn't energy. So why?

>The speed of light. As far as we know.
what bullshit
>implying the orbit of Jupiter isn't a few light-hours away from the sun
gravity is instantaneous

>gravity is instantaneous
Wrong. Please educate yourself. Google it.

there is a natural limit--gravity moves at light speed but there are some points that are moving away from us faster than lightspeed because of inflation

Since gravity is neither light nor energy, but has the same limitation, I have to wonder if there's something else that's a limiting factor on light/gravity speed. Is (empty) space itself what's limiting the speed of light/gravity? If it's true, then as the universe expands (more space) could that very slightly change the speed of light? And would light traveling outside of space (outside the observable universe) have no such limitation such as the speed of light?

In relativity, c is not just the speed of a photon in a vacuum. It is a fundamental constraint on the speed of all communication in the universe.

Of course, this could turn out to be false. No one has measured the speed of gravity definitively. However, there is a large amount of circumstantial evidence which is convincing enough for many people.

>No one has measured the speed of gravity definitively
The gravity wave detection from a while ago pretty much confirmed it

it didn't measure the speed the gravity wave propagated at. Tho if light and gravity both travel at the same time, couldn't we observe the source of the gravity wave with telescopes while measuring it with the gravity wave detector? That'd confirm it, problem is you're observing black holes, which are hard to look at.

it could go slower than light

but the only forces that move slower than light are those carried by particles with mass

and it'd be weird for gravitons to have mass

>pull apart two atoms via quantum entanglement
>apply gravitation force to one of the atoms
>other atom reacts instantaneously

that's not how quantum entanglement works, but you're onto something

>two atoms quantum entangled
>place them on opposite parts of the earth
>use EXTREMELY sensitive timing mechanisms to detect any lag in the two atoms reactions to natural gravity waves

Probably not. Gravity falls off with the square of the distance, and space has a "smallest possible" unit. This suggests that eventually the force exerted by gravity will be "rounded down" to zero.

Except at the point of maximum universal entropy, then that infinitesimal force of gravity would be the only force in the universe and we'd get pulled back into a singularity

I doubt it, nothing about the universe suggests it will ever reach any kind of permanent equilibrium.

I mean, it's shown that the universe will keep expanding, but eventually that expansion will have to slow down to zero.

No it hasn't. And what happens when you empty a region of space of all matter? I'll give you a clue: It rhymes with "Pirtual Varticle Creation"

Is that how the big bang came to be?

I don't know I wasn't there. But there's nothing in physics to make it impossible for a Universe to just happen.

The speed of light is what defines instantaneous, as acting faster than the speed of light would act upon the past.
Gravity has instantaneous effect.
It moves at the speed of light.

>acting faster than the speed of light would act upon the past
Please educate yourself upon the subject of causality