BEST ENGINEERING FIELD

It's time for this thread again ? which is better ? which is the most versatile ? which is the most chad ?

>2016
>Becoming an engineer

Don't you know engineering is the new replacement for Chad's business degree?

>CHAD takes basic statics and fluid dynamics for civil and instantly gets a job after getting a bachelor degree while (((you))) slave away to pass electrica systems and circuit analysis only to become a glorified programmer

Also he fucks your oneitis while you jack off to her pictures

Nuclear engineering, OP, it is the best and will bring about the future means of our power generation.

>he doesn't know about my very specific engineering degree that is literally only people who failed out of another engineering degree but still has 100% job placement and $75k starting
>this degree is easy as fuck and all of the people are idiots
It's alright, engineering/science are lame and I'm going to be attending an ivy law school for free next year because of my near-perfect gpa in easy ass engineering.

EE

MechE is piss easy shit for noobs, unless you want to go all the way.

Get at least an MSc though.

nuclear engineers will bring destruction to humanity
as we all know
plus nuclear power is a meme

Civil (structural) is objectively the most chad engineering field.

Prove me wrong, Veeky Forums

Only because of cost, you twat, once we achieve viable fusion not using nuclear power will be a meme.

>Mechanical
Greasers, gear heads, and other assorted bro-dudes

>Electrical
legit nerds, autists, and poo-in-loo's

>Civil/Environmental
rich chads who already have a job lined up at dads construction firm, old faggot tradesmen who want to upgrade careers, hippies, and lesbians.

>Chemical
chemists who want to be slightly more marketable than actual chemists

>Mining/Petroleum
the guys that aren't in it for the money are usually outdoorsy niggers who were one step away from getting a geology degree instead

>aerospace/biomedical/mechatronic
smug faggots who think they are getting a sexy degree when its just another niche overspecialization

>industrial
really just want to be a salesman

>nuclear
you literally need to be number 1 in your uni, or you need to join the Navy.

WHATEVER YOU DO
don't make the same mistake I did in assuming a technician degree is just as good as an engineering degree.

You foolish fool.

pretty sure nobody thinks that

>nuclear
not true.
Pretty shit being a nuke though, you're just a glorified technician ade to run plants smoothly. Boring as fuck.
I guess if you go in building the appartus it's more interesting though.

If it happened to me it could happen to someone else.
I mostly blame myself for not doing enough research, but the college recruiter assured me that a technician's degree + passing the FE exam is just as good in the eyes of an employer.
The money I saved going to that uni was immediately lost through credit transfers when I realized my mistake.

structural for me
easiest
fastest to finish
average students
most business like
filled with ex-other-majors who switched

i work for caltrans
ok pay
not too much work
average co workers
varied and fun work environments
i work all over la/oc county
no indians or fob asians

Acoustics?

I got an engineering technology associates degree. When I was 19 I didn't really know what I wanted to do and the jobs paid well for 2 years of school. When I was 25 I realized that my career was pretty much stalled, so I decided to go back to school.

About half of my credits did end up transferring, but all said and done it was more expensive to go this route. I don't regret it though, being an engineers bitch for 5 years taught me to work a lot harder than I would have and opened up a career path through a former coworker that paid 100k right out of university

You forgot materials, are they with Mining/Petroleum

>You forgot materials

materials engineers are autists, but not the smelly unaffable kind that make up most of electrical.

pleasant, simple folk who can be a bit eccentric at times.

materials are nothing like mining and petroleum, those two are unique

I'd say that the affable autist description is accurate

>structural
>fastest to finish
honestly, what?

a MS is pretty much required to work anywhere that does serious work, and on top of that you need 2-4 years of experience to even try for licensure

>studying Aeronautical engineering
>tfw I just accepted a job for $75k starting

>affable autist
Sounds about like me, it must be destiny considering I want to be a Materials Engi

ECE master race.

I hope you guys like being unemployed because that's what you'll be if you aren't doing something with electronics or computing in [current year].

>not studying Mathematical Engineering

Literally the best of both worlds.

I'm gonna start my Chem Eng career next year. Im 23 already and it's a 5 year career.
I just don't know what kind of jobs there are for me when i get out.
I hear that civil engineering has a lot more jobs but they dont pay nearly as well.

Thoughts anyone?

WOW
Nunca hubiera esperado encontrar otro platense aca

Y encima a esta hora. Lo que es la indecisiĆ³n.
Y vos que estudiaste?

>not studying Quantum Archaeology

>Mechanical
Basic applied physics

>Electrical
for people who failed out of physics

>Civil
Pretty much non-STEM

>Chemical
Chemists are bro-tier. Chemical Engineers are idiots who work with vague shit in a meme field.

>Mining
True

>Industrial
applied physics

>Nuclear
applied physics

I do oil and gas mechanical engineering, every small gas plant in my area is looking for chemical engineers. If you are willing to move around, you'll have no problem finding work.

I majored in physics, minored in chemistry, if I could redo it I would go for electrical engineering or computer science.

>tfw major in physical chemistry, minor in math
am i gonna make it?

Aren't chemical engineers *technically* chemists? Am I missing something here hidden within your thinly velied arrogance?

Not that I know of. Chemical engineering degrees have a surprisingly low amount of chemistry and physics but have a shitload of process stuff and things from other fields that are irrelevant. It's typically a very long degree.

Would a Bachelor's in chem get me a relatively good position in anywhere? Something like a full chem engineering degree?

I don't know, I'm in my second year of a chemistry BS myself. Most of my friends are in ChemE. I've heard of people from our chem program being able to talk their way into chemical engineering jobs but I'm not entirely sure how. (My uni is relatively mediocre but the chem dept is often placed in the top 20)

what about computer engineering tho

Electrical Engineering is the most interesting one and it has the highest demand.

>Implying said Chad could get a single problem right for his FE/PE exams needed to get a job in Civil

what engineering field has the highest salary besides petroleum? would it be electrical? and is mechanical a lot lower than electrical? HELP CUNTS

Electrical is objectively the best but fuck off we're full.

Go do mechanical or chemical or some shit.

That or go major in Physics. If you have no idea what subfield of engineering to go into then engineering isn't for you. Like, if you look at the spectrum of a 50% duty cycle square wave and seeing all the odd order harmonics doesn't blow your mind (do this before you learn about the Fourier series) then electrical isn't for you.

>Electrical
>for people who failed out of physics

Pick one, you can't go to electrical engineering here without knowing decent physics

>tfw studying Electrical Engineering
>tfw just accepted a job in Aeronautics for $81k starting
kek

Physics is a jack of all trades master of none degree. A physics degree would not be enough to qualify you to work any engineering job.

Can a physicist design distributed element LC bandpass filters for signals over 30GHz? I didn't think so.

Architecture is god.

>engineers who don't know math

>People who get paid more than engineers for more fun work

I got BS in Physics. I did 0 networking or job prep, but I went back for MS in EE and I'm getting a good paying job in May. So yeah, not to late for you, son.

My father failed out of physics at MIT and switched to EE

Sure, but you could learn it in a few sittings. Physics makes you a master learner of Engineering, basically. I only went back for an MS in Engineering so people would interview and hire me.

/shrug

Physics math is different than EE math, if you can pass a calc class, you can get an EE degree.

Yeah no. You can't just sit down one day, pick up Electronics for Dummies and just start designing microwave frequency circuits. It doesn't work like that.

I know you learned Ohm's law back in physics 1 and think you know everything about electronics now but none of that applies here. Nothing behaves like the ideal in that frequency range and you can throw everything you know about electronics design out the window.

High frequency stuff is a bit unfair for a physicist. I'll give you a baby problem, prove me wrong. I doubt you could design a 4-pole active notch filter designed to filter out 60Hz noise from the mains. Any topology you want as long as it's active. Include the transfer function for the circuit. Should be no problem for you right? Hit the books for 10 minutes and pop out with an answer?

Aero here kill me

How and where

No

I think times have changed. You need to know physics to get into EE.

t. EE major

I never said 10 minutes, Mr. Prima Dona, but yeah, lemme go study for like a month or two then bam, not too bad. The points I was making is that physics teaches you how to *learn*, not that you could do it right that minute.

And especially that
>everything about electronics now but none of that applies here.
that's pretty top kek
literally that's just the base. OBVIOUSLY you need to learn about the stuff that happen in the real case, the noise, the extra factors, the design limitations. You're forgetting you're talking to someone who came FROM physics to learn the EE specifics so he could get hired to make a living. Trust me, it's not *that* hard to learn the special-cases.

Again, I'm not saying it would be easy, or that it would take 10 minutes. It would take some honest work, time, and study. But it's easily within the grasp of anyone who takes on Physics.

Feel special for now, if you like.

wtf is that supposed to mean
everyone takes basics physics - one whole basic book of material

>Physics teaches you how to learn

That's not mutually exclusive to physics. Engineering is not just plugging in numbers and looking up shit in tables.

Additionally your logic cuts both ways. Any problem in physics give me a month with a book and some paper and I can have it solved too.

>computer """""""""""""""""""""""""""engineering"""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Is it normal for professors to give exams no one is able to finish on time? I'm currently taking statics and it's unreal, I feel like it's testing me less on how well I know the content and more about how quickly I can solve basic algebra. I'm finishing up the last of my 200 level classes and it's driving me insane.

It's not as if I'm just retarded, the median exam grade is consistently in the 50s across all semesters because people are able to finish maybe two thirds of it.

>engineering
Are you gay OP?

CHAD goes to PARTIES while getting perfect grades and connections while you slave away at the LIBRARY and JERK it to Chad's gf's fb profile

what about explosive, like rockets but less advanced and work in mining

yes it is harder to cheat when you have to go fast

>I think times have changed. You need to know physics to get into EE.
lel u have no idea of the difference between physics and EE

This.
Plus Physics BSc level shit is piss easy.

It's more dependent on your own talents and intelligence than on your degree.

If you're smart enough to do a Physics or EE degree without much problems that means you can learn easily.

If you can barely pass your EE courses at a shit uni then you are most likely shit in everything.

What are the prospects for an EE focusing on solid state physics / devices / photonics?

Asking because my school has a fab and I think those are the only areas we're good at.

ITT: The degree I studied is hardest, best, and most useful

The degree everyone else studied is easy, useless, and for fags

Just another day of uninteresting discussion on Veeky Forums

I'm in Industrial Engineering, most faggots call us "managers with helmets" to mock us.

And they're right. Right now I work in a shit bank checking credit card's memberships, but I'm still an student.

I kinda want to work in a water-treatment plant. Or an hydroelectric plant, that shit is my jam.
Fuck Peru for not having enough job positions for anyone.

I'm not about to pretend my chemistry degree is particularly useful but bio people are still fags

What about Telecommunications Engineering? I know its often a profile in EE, but what about it?

hard, relatively good job prospects, but not as good as mech or civil, but good pay

Just design a high order high pass filter you double nigger. That's sophomore electronics.

well he did say that it's an ez pz problem

someone post the expectation/reality of engineering fields chart if you have it

any other EE bros got some advice for me?
trying to choose my depth courses
looking at circuits and systems vs devices, materials, and photonics

it really depends on what you like and what to do at your job. i personally would prefer devices and materials because i'm like more "concrete" stuff, but go for circuits and systems if you want to work in communications and electronics

Interesting

I'm thinking of getting a technician degree (2 years), then while I get some experience in the area I slowly work in the eng degree, so finally when I'm an Engineer I have 10 years of experience or so.

Otherwise I'm going to be a 30 year old Engineer with no experience at all, and be completely fucked (currently I'm a filthy web dev monkey from 9 to 5, 23 yo, wanting to get into Telecommunications)

like many anons said don't make the mistake of thinking going for a tehnician role will get you as far an engineering, but if you're already 23 you might as well do that. alternatively try finding an EE program that is only part time or with no required attendance, but prepare your anus for studying 24/7. if you already have a stem degree and some work experience you should try to get into a master's degree directly, skip the technician and bachelor's altogether. depending on what you studied you might have better or worse chances but i think there are plenty universities that would accept you to do an easier master's degree in EE

>going for a tehnician role will get you as far an engineering

I don't think that, I think that working as a technician in the field of telecommunications, while studying engineering, will give me far better chances than trying to get in the field as a 30-35 yo engineer that has only programmed in PHP and has no real experience in the field.

I didn't do any STEM career, I just have a high school degree and I don't think there is any point in doing a Master's unless it is for research or something very highly specialized, or am I wrong?

Also I can't study 24/7 because I have to work, there is no way I could do engineering in 5 years precisely because of that, I'm guessing that even working my ass off, it would take around 10 at least, that's why I want to get the other degree first, I could have it in just 2 years and probably even get a job before I finish, where I would be under the supervision of engineers in the area I want learning a lot, and a few years later I will be in their position surely (when I become an engineer of course)

And fusion is only a few years away!

>it has the highest demand
That is factually untrue

spanish??

Woah there bub, MechE is pretty easy now but I've heard it ramps up hard in the final semesters

>mechatronic
>overspecialization
Which discipline is less specialized than that mess of a degree?

Honestly, it depends on the mechatronics degree. Some mechatronics degrees are more like a systems engineering degree targeting interdisciplinary stuff.

That can be a good basics to continue in either EE or MechEng.

So if you want something less specialized then EE from the electrical side and ME from the mechanical one.

No jobs right now, shit sucks, have applied to over 200 jobs and no interviews. Only interviews I've gotten have been for non engineering jobs through connections at hedge funds and what not. Better to do computer science

We had the final battle last year you fucking new faggots.

So if I went for an electrical technician program will I be able to get a job? I'm 26, have average grades, and currently have one project to bring to the interview but a few more in the works.

My plan was to get into a job and either hope the company would pay for me to finish a full EE degree or hope I get paid enough to do it out of pocket and afford a small apartment. It's worth noting I can no longer get any federal financial aid (loans included) because too many credit hours, the result of changing majors twice. I would have to take out private loans but since I have no credit history my interest rates will be awful assuming I'm even approved at all.

Nah chemical engineering has very little chemistry in the coursework. Most jobs involve becoming over glorified plumbers called "process engineers".

No way you can get a chemical engineering job with a chem degree, definitely possible the other way around.

Huh, is someone posting in this thread? I couldn't notice because of my 300k/yr stacks from my pure math degree.

I agree, physics degree is useless without a masters or phd

No, you're fucking retarded

Get a ti-Nspire or ti-89, can solve all that stupid algebra quickly

That's also true for engineers regarding a masters if we want to talk about real shit and not just the basics.
MSc is where you start doing complex stuff and broaden your knowledge and get into research.