[Smart but lazy] Let's settle this once for all

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/news/the-biggest-mystery-in-mathematics-shinichi-mochizuki-and-the-impenetrable-proof-1.18509?WT.mc_id=TWT_NatureNew
math.stackexchange.com/questions/874269/what-are-the-work-habits-of-the-best-mathematicians
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonhard_Euler
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning.
jamesclear.com/albert-einstein-desk
funmaker.me/konbanwa/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Paul Erdős.

>Johann Von Neumann.
The Legend of John Von Neumann,
P. R. Halmos.

Smart but lazy folks can be either smart of dumb, but they're not lazy.

They just don't want to apply themselves for fear that they might not actually be as smart as they think.

I genuinely can accomplish things faster and better than most, but I have never learned to just sit down and work continuously. It's not a meme, but I understand now that I need to start pulling my shit together if I want to exploit my intelligence.

>Mochizuki.
nature.com/news/the-biggest-mystery-in-mathematics-shinichi-mochizuki-and-the-impenetrable-proof-1.18509?WT.mc_id=TWT_NatureNew

>Alexander Grothendieck.
math.stackexchange.com/questions/874269/what-are-the-work-habits-of-the-best-mathematicians

>smart but lazy
its a meme.
If you were truly smart but lazy, you would realize how technology can be used to accomplish things with little effort on your part. You'd be writing programs that automate everything for you and sitting on your ass while automatic downloads for your latest animu roll in. You would have set up a stock trading algorithm to trade and collect dividends on your behalf and mail it to your house monthly so you can get self made NEETbux to live on while not being a leech to society, and living on the edge hoping that you dont get cut off. Anyone who hasn't at least made it that far isn't smart but lazy, they're just dummies who want to tell themselves they're smart.

Same, I don't have the motivation to do that unless it's my favourite subject

>Leonhard Euler.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonhard_Euler

Why don't you repeat his feats then?

So what language did you write your stock trading program in user?

He's not lazy. He is very hard working so chances are he ain't time for that.

>smart people work hard

woah, you're really blowing my mind here

Good thing he scheduled all of his important Veeky Forums postings around his very busy work load.

>>smart people work hard
Not
>Working hard makes you smart.

This post gave me a better understanding of myself

ah, the classic argument by speculative psychoanalysis

R and Python.

>Working hard makes you smart.
that's patently false

you should work hard anyway, but that won't make you smarter

Working hard does make you smarter. It doesn't necessarily improve your IQ, though.

>Working hard does make you smarter
[citation needed]

if you are actually smart and work hard you will (in the end) succeed because you would have the intelligence and the work ethnic.

In the context of school you are "smart but lazy" and then work hard and still do shit (and by shit I don't mean B+ or A's rather than all A's, I mean like C+ to B) then you are not actually smart.

Mathematics relies a lot on crystallized intelligence.
If you you have gone through a lot of mathematics textbooks and done a lot of problems, you will be able to tackle problems right away while the rookie doesn't know where to start.
The same is true for chess.
Grandmasters study positions endlessly until they have thousands of them printed in their brains.
They play lower ELOs without much trouble, with the lower rated opponent having to rely heavily on calculations.
Surely don't expect to have transfert to non related activities.
You become math-smart or chess-smart.
If you think a 1000 player can outsmart a 2000 player who studied years to get there, you're deluding yourself.
It simply doesn't happen.
The same is true for mathematics.

You learn stuff by reading and doing work.

>tfw dumb and lazy but people tell me I'm smart

I was in some "gifted" program in elementary

it was stupid and we didn't do anything

I'm retarded desu

You have lost touch with reality.

Not an argument.

Practicing something makes you better at it.
What kind of reference you need?

>What kind of reference you [sic] need?

One that gives legitimacy to your claim? What other kind of reference is there? Do you cite your own bullshit in your papers too?

Its really smart but apathetic

Be careful. It's a tough read!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning.

What about 43 year old grandmasters losing to a 22 year old?

>2870 Carlsen.
>2775 Anand.

Fucking legend

POO

Any more like this?

>"Von Neumann, seemingly unearthly as he stands the other side of the colossal abyss that separates him from mortals, was reportedly dismayed at his inability to raise a son. Cursed with the power of seemingly limitless autism, he created his own son, in his image, but his image was so inhuman that his son too did not take the form of a man, but a machine, capable of little more but logical computation."

being this mad
making an adhominem
You are smart but lazy. I can make you a vocaroo so you can listen to it everyday and feel smart.

implying that you cant score higher at an IQ Test if you prepare for it.
kys

>tfw dumb but hardworking
It's a pretty good feel honeslty, at a top 20 university and still doing well.

ITT people confuse intelligent with genius

>Qualified schools for national math competitions singlehandedly. (elementary/high school)
>Discover philosophy, apathy, nihilism.
>

Every time I read thread like this I am mad at myself for being lazy stupid autist.

It was proved long time ago that chess grandamsters peak at late 20s, after age of 30-35 your chess strenght slowly decrease.

100 elo points at this level is extremly huge gap

It doesn't matter if it's true or not. A lazy genius is worthless if he doesn't move his ass and actually produce results.

jamesclear.com/albert-einstein-desk

Why is Karjakin winning right now then?

Agreed.

Smart but lazy is the adult version of a kid telling me they can do a Backflip but "just don't want to right now".

When there is so much to be gained by working your ass off, why would you ever let laziness get the best of you?

I don't think you guys have. Broad enough definition of working hard. I think working hard at understanding concepts, making sure you have the fundamentals near perfectly etc CAN essentially "make you smart".

What is the alternative?

Not much to do with ratings or age they are about the same.
He is not afraid of Carlsen and is lazy in the head. Karjakin didn't spend as much time analyzing in the last game and Carlsen got into time trouble. I would put my money on the lazy in the head Karjakin.

I'm dumb and lazy.
Euthanize me.

Youre not dumb you autist, you just aren't as pretentious as your collegues

wew lad

This. I always feel depressed because I feel like I'm not as smart as my peers, but then I realize I don't talk as big as them.

What am I looking at?

neural substrates of intelligence and executive function. the latter of which does effort cost computations and inhibits 'laziness'

there is, not surprisingly, much overlap

I was always shit at math because I never bothered to learn it. However I had good grades at everything else without any effort. What am I?

what is z?

True for uni, I do have to put an insane amount of work in though, so I'm just kinda putting in effort but convincing myself that I'm not really giving it all I've got.

the slice of axial plane

I remember when teachers in highschool would told me "you're lazy" and I was thikning to myself "this guy dont want to understand that I worked more than 30 minutes on this shit !"

Then starting uni, I thought I discovered the meaning of the word "work" when I had to study for 2 hours, sometimes 3 or 4 hours to achieve passing grades in every courses.

When I started my master, I could not believe that I thought I knew what "work and study" meant. Regular evening of practicing, repeating, refining my skills were necessary to barely pass, and it was only in one field.

Then I tried myself on "Agregation". After 6 months of working "my ass off" for more than 5 hours a day for 5 days a week, I failed and did another year where I worked 8 to 10 hours a day all week long for 7 months.

I passed. Then I thought I knew what "work and study"" meant. For my PhD, I realized that working is a long term task. If only I could have realized it in highschool, or at least when I entered uni, I would have probably had a more succesful "career".

I range in the "smart but lazy" guys, in the sense that I barely understood what working meant until I really needed to. I also teached maths to people who thought they were "smart but lazy". No you're not: understanding the global picture is not enough to say you're profficient in one skill. So get your finger out of your ass and start working if you want to achieve anything you'd like to.

>tfw smart but have no interest in mathematics

You can't actually be smart without putting in the effort to be smart.
Sure you can be born with good potential but that means nothing if you don't really know anything.
>B-Buh muh IQ
>Sure I don't know any math above Algebra 2 or anything about science, economics, society, ect b-but I am an arm chair philosopher!

How would you know if you were wrong?

I thought I was smart and lazy my whole life, turns out that I just had ADHD and couldn't study for any significant amount of time. I managed to get through HS on sheer ability, but once I got to college, it wasn't sufficient, and I crashed and burned.

This thread is all poorly defined terms and self-flagellation.

What does smart mean? Does it have anything to do with features of a brain? What does lazy mean? Does IT have anything to do with features of a brain?

Do the definitions of smart and lazy define brain structures such that they will necessarily interact in a predictable way?

What are these examples supposed to demonstrate? Does the existence of very smart and hardworking people somehow prove that you can't have smart but not hardworking people? Would you expect to have heard of someone who could have produced their results but just drank a lot of beer instead? How would you ever know? Wouldn't you just call that person stupid because they drank beer and accomplished nothing? Congrats, you've defined yourself into your conclusion. Wow so smart.

Perfect example of>smart means having ability and working hard
>haha no one can be smart and lazy

Laziness is a kind of stupidity.

Note: I am very smart and very lazy. Yes, they often cancel each other out.

>let n be an integer
when is it ever not an integer?

I flagellate myself because I can't find anyone else who can do it better.

How do hard working people differ from lazy people? Can they work longer before feeling exhaustion? Can they retain focus well despite exhaustion? Do they have an inner drive to work despite feeling exhausted? Is it the right thing to do in their mind so being lazy doesn't even enter it?

also cuRious

Wrong. You learn to solve problems quickly by understanding them at multiple levels of abstraction. You sound like you've never gotten past precalc.

>that tfw when dumb and lazy
One year into japanese and still can barely understand newspapers, let alone read them.
I know how to say vagina seven differents ways though.

my mental acuity has peak performance in 2-3 hour bursts and that's with stable blood sugar levels. after that's finished i'm out like a light, i can barely understand what's being told to me. this is WORSE if i haven't taken something to manage my social anxiety.

the good thing is that this makes high pressure close-deadline situations like short term performance evaluations a breeze. my rote memory is stellar during that time also.

i've been doing short bursts of exercise to get blood flow going and there's improvement definitely but i can't seem to get back to peak

>Wrong. You learn to solve problems quickly by understanding them at multiple levels of abstraction.
You mongrel, how does that prove me wrong?

But what really is to be gained?
Not any tangible thing. You can feed your desire to be better than the next guy, you can get the fame. But that's really nothing compared to the warm bosom of a loving woman.

>implying
Smart but lazy here.
I actually created service that downloads animu for me. I only open torrent file to automatically upload it to remote torrent downloader on my VPS, then after it's downloaded other script detect episodes and names and creates simlinks. It automatically trims out all additional info like subs names, quality, ids etc. leaving only anime title. They I can use front-end I created to access any anime I want and stream it to my computer using original quality.
I also created homepage where I got notifications from my youtube subs, facebook, rss and other websites so I don't have to waste my time going through all of them. It also has timetable for my classes and notepad with strong encryption. funmaker.me/konbanwa/

Same, I always study 2-3 hours before exams at uni and do my daily quota at work in an hour or something. But I started to work hard when it comes to working on things I like. Like the two projects I described above.

Coming up with ideas how to avoid working and still have work done is what makes you smarter.

I was in some "gifted" programs. Everyone there was just normal students who just enjoys (pop)science but don't have extraordinary knowledge or experience and their girlfriends. I remember we got some Lego Mindstorms to learn robotics. The first thing I did was to remove stock firmware and upload custom one that allows me to program in Lua instead of blocks and give me low-level control over that toy. No "gifted" kid really understood any of these or why I did this. Most people eventually didn't understood these classes or got bored and whole project was closed.

Me smart and lazy, grad HS with Ds, now doctorates, retired asap, total potato, now.

Meme++

I have a good friend who works really hard and wants to succeed but I outperform him without effort or studying beyond doing a handful of practice problems. In addition, I'm usually one of the first in my classes to finish exams because of my ability to dump out all the stuff I know.

My family doesn't seem exceptional so I don't like to think I'm cut from a finer cloth. Is there something in my upbringing that sets me apart? All of the bionicles and xbox?

I feel bad that I can do this well without earning it and I want others to succeed like I do.

Actual smart but lazy fag here

I have a masters degree

Being very smart alone was more than enough to get to that point, I double majored in undergrad and graduated magna cum laude, had scholarships and my parents still had money left in my college fund to pay for grad school which was much easier and less work than a job so I went back, being lazy was more of a liability there but I finished my masters with a 3.5, it's in math not some bs subject.

Granted I'm far less lazy than some, I always had the discipline to get shit done when there was a deadline and I needed it to pass, but I smoke weed pretty much constantly and would rather sit on the couch and watch cartoons than do anything academic.

There was no way I was going to do a PhD, I just don't care enough to motivate myself for independent research, barely finished my masters thesis. Now I have a job and it sucks, I might eventually do an MBA because it's ridiculously easy and the job would be less work for more money.

Succeeding in science is all about hard work though and while being smart but lazy can get you a high paying easy job you will never cut it in research

I'm actually not very smart but people at my Uni think I am. It bothers me a bit because people don't see that my understanding in my field came from hard work and not because I'm "gifted". I even took some lectures twice because I didn't understand them at all the first time.

Smart byt Depressed/Semi- insane reporting in.

DELET DIS

I think "smart but lazy" often describes people who simply aren't driven by accomplishments. Deep down they only really care about learning things and figuring things out.

They solve complex problems in their heads and then don't have any motivation to actually implement said solution, because implementing it won't teach them anything new.
They are also likely to start tons of projects/hobbies and drop them after a short time (without every finishing anything), usually as soon as their goal of learning has been met.

Society however only cares about results, and thus labels them as "lazy".

How much computer science work that he published is relevant today? Honestly asking in curiosity, might read some shit

So smart but lazy is bullshit?

Why is it all on the right hemisphere?

So the horizontal scan is "going up the brain" ?

Thanks. I needed that.

Uh huh....

What do you work in right now?

Data analyst at a statistical consulting firm, pay is good but not great, work is quite boring, but it's very easy and a good place to start out, quite hard to find a job with a masters and no experience besides an internship, in a couple years id be able to find a very well paying job, probably still pretty easy too.

Do you think bioinformatics would be way out of your reach? What was your other degree?

How is executive function measured?