Is there a single person on Veeky Forums that managed to self taught physic or math on bachelor degree level?

Is there a single person on Veeky Forums that managed to self taught physic or math on bachelor degree level?

Is this achievable?

There are people who think they have.

For math absolutely, you don't really need any expensive equipment for it. For physics you're probably better off paying the tuition so you can access their lab equipment. It's harder to understand how things work from purely reading textbooks or watching videos but it's possible.

For sure. You're always self teaching, it's just about where you get your motivation from. Equipment is important too.

It took me until my junior year to realize, but undergraduate education is literally entirely self taught.

Its literally, "hey, look this up in the textbook and do these problems on it, for which there are usually pretty extensive explanations someplace online".

Literally the only reason to show up to class is for attendance points / IClicker / quiz points , and the only reason they do that is that they know nobody would need to show up otherwise.

Labs can be neat though. The practice with data analysis / error analysis helps a lot, and is arguably one of the only useful things I've benefited from in undergrad

Just pick up a textbook and go. You'd honestly probably get a better, deeper understanding than most students, as lecturers tend to skip around and fly through the book, without offering sufficient time to ingrain and deeply learn and ingrain any one segment.

Which one of Stewart's books is this step one referring to? Heard that most of them are shit for self study.

I'm self teaching myself as a CS major, I hope to make it

This.

College is a scam OP. You can always build physics experiments if you need to.

If you've got a computer and access to the internet, you can teach yourself pretty much anything with enough dedication. There are people in the past who taught themselves a surprising amount using just textbooks.

>You can always build physics experiments if you need to.
lel

Yes. I then went on to study the subject at an MSc level. Straight As. Doing Research now.

I think that we can agree if person is not able to keep up with normal uni program, he would not be able to maintain to study on his own.

Get this necromancer out of here.

it just takes alot of determination/self discipline or autism to learn on your own.

Sometimes lecturers are shit and you learn better on your own tho

Going to college is basically self teaching minus the effort to seek the material out yourself.

Don't act like its not impossible, its just that most people are completely disorganized.

Amen to that, I had a senile professor who spent half the class whining about the work ethic of our generation and still tested us on stuff he never even covered in class. The school couldn't even do anything about it because of tenure. Luckily it was my first semester of undergrad which woke me up to the reality of self-taught > lectured rather quickly and I treated the rest of my courses under the same assumption.

imo Calculus 1 & 2 & 3, linear algebra and differential equations will take almost year for a motivated person with averange iq.

Lets assume that somebody is learning Calculus 1.
Majority of book and lectures teach it like this:
>1. Memorize integral formulas
>2. Use it to solve shit.

My main problem is, I do not know where this whole calculus came from, why is it working?

The way they teach it is more like teaching somebody how to use programming function.

Just put arguments in the function and call it lmao.

I know that 1+1 is 2 and 5+5 = 10 and out of nowhere I have some formulas that I have to belive that are accurate but I have no idea why is it working

I'm sure it is achievable but you'd have to have a lot more discipline than the average Veeky Forums shitposter.

If you even have to ask the question you probably do not have the discipline to do it. I'd suggest you scale back your ambitions to something more manageable.

my friend self taught using khan patickjmt mit ocw for the first two years of math physics
he has completed around 20 upper division classes at ucla through extension with about a 3.4 gpa
in a year he will have the equivalent of a double major in physics math
it is much easier to do now with youtube
there is a video for any stem topic you could want

>Labs can be neat though

I thought the labs for EE were a bit pointless personally. Everything was done so quickly and you were so focused on getting your data that you didn't come off it having learned much. I learned way more when I started buying my own equipment. I've got an analog and digital oscilloscope, one multimeter and two vintage nixie tube multimeters, a function generator, a switched mode PSU, decent soldering station, and a shit ton of components. It's expensive but it doesn't cost more than a semester at uni and is cheaper if you don't buy extra equipment like I did. I've learned way more at home than I ever did in lab, not only about circuit design but the proper use of instrumentation as well.

I also pirated all the simulation and PCB design software too which has been extremely helpful.

Although I imagine it'd be harder to set up a home physics lab. Physics has such a wide scope and you'd need a lot of different kinds of equipment. Electronics has it easy, get a decent multimeter, oscilloscope, PSU, function generator, and a breadboard and you're done. Could probably get all of the above for $250 if you look for good deals.

>I do not know where this whole calculus came from, why is it working?
confirmed massive idiot
if that interests you take analysis
for most majors that stuff is not needed

Why am I massive idiot?
Because when you are working you have max 1-2h/day to study?

Or because majority of non math degrees teach you math like that?

I mean to

I'm pretty sure there are. You just don't hear about them because they aren't shitposting.

This is accurate with one caveat. You have to be disciplined with self study and follow a plan. If you can do that, then yes totally doable.

For anyone that's doing this now: how do you juggle multiple subjects at once?

I'm finding it difficult to work on more than one textbook at a time. I study maths for roughly two hours a day with short breaks as needed -- I read the chapter in full while taking seperate notes in a notebook, doing all the examples, proofs, and practice exercises while pausing to rest whenever I feel my concentration waning.

This has worked fine for me, but I am self conscious that I am only learning one subject at a time.

I've tried alternating texts and subjects day by day, but I feel like I'm not retaining as much information and my progress is slower overall.

I have this issue with my maths teacher.

>comes in class, writes everything on board
>is finished in 20 minutes.

I have watched videos on linear algebra on mit ocw and even that professor takes his time to explain all the stuff to the very smart kids.

All the other kids are infuriating when they then praise the teacher and are busy consuming all the formulas without any understanding. They go hard on the past papers and get all the fucking As without knowing much. Infuriating for me.

Probably you are not going to remember 80% of the stuff after 1-2 years.

Why do you think being read to will make you remember longer than if you were reading it yourself?

You're supposed to do math every day, silly.

On a related note, has anyone here been able to study for 16 hours a day? I managed to cram that much for anatomy exam, but can the same be applied to math?

Yes. Actually math is very easy to self teach. Go to your local college/university library and work through the books. Memorize all the definitions, proofs and theorems. This will happen by itself when you do proofs and exercises. Doing exercises is the most important thing. Also don't be afraid to look up different books on the same subject for an overview.

Cons: If you want to do this in your free time you will need a lot of time and discipline.

math is such big subject, that you will not be able to repeat everything everyday.