How does a giant slab of metal with wings take of and stay thousands of feet into the air for extended periods of time?

How does a giant slab of metal with wings take of and stay thousands of feet into the air for extended periods of time?

It doesn't seem real.

DUDE BERNOULLI'S PRINCIPLE LMAO

Well, it's a mixture of physics and engineering.

It's a combination of deflection and circulation.

meme magic

it doesnt.

the reality is that when you get in a plane, you don't actually move in position but when you are presented with a "false impression" of your destination.

Your inability to google and consequent need for handholding also seems pretty unreal

>Your inability to google

You're a retard. The only way to get to Veeky Forums is through the Internet, and the only way to navigate the internet is by using google, therefore, i know how to use google

>google is the only way to navigate teh internuts
Reassuring.

I don't use google though.
t. bing user

Bing= web crawler
Google= web crawler

Therefore bing=google in the most important sense.

Something to do with air moving over the wings really quickly causing an upward force.
You don't fall out of the air because you're still moving forward quickly enough.

This is not how a wing works.

How does a fan blow air across your face?

How does a sail push a ship across the ocean?

Here's an interesting fact: when planes reach a high altitude they actually become stationary. The earth and it's atmosphere is what's in motion.

with a boatload of combustible

bernouli's principle is a false explanation of why planes fly

If this was correct - how come aircrafts can fly upside down?
What about paper planes? Their wings have no curvature at all, but still fly pretty well.

>If this was correct - how come aircrafts can fly upside down?What about paper planes? Their wings have no curvature at all, but still fly pretty well.

You'll need to go to a university and work your way into a course on fluid mechanics and finite element analysis just to begin to get the hang of this.

As a civil engineer we barely touched the subject except to model forces caused by flowing fluids on non moving objects. Think bridge piers for one possible example of this.

Anyways, its totally understandable if you have dedicated the years to bone up on the prerequisite material.

If you don't get it don't feel bad, most people never will understand.

Just tell yourself that the wheels are what makes the plane fly because they spin really fast the correct direction.

Because its not like its just an extremely straightforward action-reaction force.

Literally stick your hand out of the car when you're driving. Have it tilted up at an angle -> gets pushed up by force of air HOEERRRYY SHITE.

Oh you mean Reynold's transport theorem applied to momentum on a control volume.

Woah this a public forum! Children might see you stroking that ego.

>strawmaning and avoiding the question this hard
Your entire argument is basically "it's complicated" like a fucking SJW then insulting him for it. It's not complicated, saying it is is the mark of either a very stupid person or one who doesn't understand it himself. There's plenty of quick to read pages on the bernoulli's principle myth and how planes actually fly. It's literally as simple as newton's first law. You force air downwards, it lifts you upwards.

newton's third law*

*Fixes glasses*
Actually I happen to be expert in this

That's some rad shit, broseidon.

Wow another thread where a bunch of autists shit on Bernouli, classic.

He-who-must-not-be-named
Not even kidding, at my school one of the teachers insisted on us not mentioning Bernoulli by name.

Wouldn't a plane have to be travelling at least 800mph relative to the ground for this to be the case? Unless it's a particularly fast plane flying with a fast tailwind, I don't see how this is possible.

Some point to Bernoullu's principle, but that's not the main reason. It's the reactionary force of air hitting the bottom of the wing: Air gets deflected down, and pushes up on the wing. The faster you go forward, the faster the defelction, and therefore the stronger the upward force.

Science is magic that works.

Science is the worst religion, except for all the religions that have been tried.

Stop thinking of air as "nothing" and realize it's a medium just like water and it has certain properties that can be exploited. If birds or flying insects didn't exist, I could understand your confusion but come the fuck on.

The difference in speed comes from friction with the sharp trailing edge of the wing. By changing the angle of attack, you can change which side of the wing the air flows fastest on.

no

You're right, it doesn't seem real -- science is so interesting!