QTDDTOT - Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

QTDDTOT - Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread.

What kind of potatoes for what kind of dish?

Other urls found in this thread:

cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016277-tartines-country-bread
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Where's the King Edwards? Maris Piper? Jersey Royals?

I just buy the cheap potatoes and use them for everything

>What kind of potatoes for what kind of dish?
Waxy potatoes hold up better for potato salads, starchy are great for baking or for mashing. Yukon golds are somewhere in the middle and thus very versatile. Cute little fingerlings, peruvian, etc are good for boiling or roasting and serving skin on as is.

Idaho Golds for everything.

Russets 5eva

choose your poison Veeky Forums

wich one would you eat straight from the fish tank?

Best slow cooker?

which one I wouldn't?

waxy potatoes are good for putting in a pillow sack and beating people. they are not good for eating in any form.

Can you bake Yukon golds like you can russets? I have a big bag of them

What the hell is scientific notation for? Like, why write 5.6357*10^4, why not just write 56357? How is that easier?

Also every time I cook something and freeze the leftovers I get a shit ton of ice form in the box so the food just comes out really watery when I defrost it. How can I stop that happening?

Freeze it more quickly.
Fully cool in the fridge first. Stir in the moisture. Then freeze.
Limit the amount of air or void space in your container of choice.

None because fuck seafood

Doesn't deserve it's own thread? This is more productive that most.

My question. Id Thai cooking sauce a necessary ingredient?

>goldfish
>sea

Nigger you know what I mean

What the fuck is thai cooking sauce? If you mean fish sauce, then yes it adds an extra layer of umami depth. You can achieve the same with anchovy/clam juice or Worcestershire sauce.

Are you talking about freezer burn?

the specific example of scientific notation you cite is wasteful, but in a lot of other cases it is actually easier to just look at like 3 essential numbers

Scientific notation is more useful for really large or really small numbers. For instance, instead if writing 56,890,000,000,000, you could write 5.689 x 10^13. Or instead of 0.0000000000000001, you could write 1.0 x 10^-16.

the idea for the thread came from Veeky Forums actually, but I thought Veeky Forums could benefit from some simple Q&A

No it's actually the name, retardedly vague like a lot of thai stuff.

It's one of the main ingredients in Thai cooking and it works worders and is amazing according to them. But when I looked it up it just seems to be sweet soy sauce. I must be missing something.

the last time i was here i saw a thread talking about this curry, and everyone said the recipe on the box was shit, and to use an alternative recipe. any that anyone recommends?

java or kokumaro box curries have more flavor

its not hard to just make one yourself though with some japanese curry powder

also instead of water use dashi and brown meat and melt down/caramelize onions

tortillas: is there a big difference in heating them on a pan or in the microwave? is the oven also good?

Can you make oatmeal in any rice cooker? Should I shell out more for one with a porridge setting?

I personally think Golden is fine. Some of them go better with different ingredients though. Like Golden definitely goes with onions, but not mushrooms.

for flour tortillas? all methods are the same, tightly wrap to retain moisture and warm up to soften.
The pan is great for corn, but if you intend to use a pan for flour, you need to oil it to prevent sticking and it will indeed brown somewhat. Think quesadilla level browning.

How can I make sure my bread gets a good brown crust? It seems like no matter how high I make my oven, no matter if I spray with water or wipe with egg wash/oil, the bread never hets a good crust.

Is it the oven itself, is it the placement of the pan/loaf?

>choose your poison
Don't you mean "poisson"?

For fuck's sake.

Look up which types are starchy and which types are waxy. Starchy ones for baking, waxy for most anything else. Some varieties are tastier than others, I'm partial to Yukon Gold myself, especially as hash browns.

It could be the recipe. Try increasing the oil in the dough

Hawhaw, mais OUI!

I've tried everything you're mentioning. Countless recipes, too. The only thing that did the trick was finally getting a cast iron pot (I think it's called a dutch oven?) and cooking the bread in it. Viola, perfect, crunchy crust that remained crunchy for 3 days.

This

>oil in the dough
>How can I make sure my bread gets a good brown crust?

this works for me:

no oil, just flour water salt and tiny captured yeasts

putting the bread into a hot! hot! dutch oven, cooking with lid on then take it off

cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016277-tartines-country-bread

How do I get fries to turn out like Macca's fries?

I think those red potatoes go great in stews

or, for a better example, instead of writing 56,891,456,267,801 you could just write 5.689 x 10^13 because the smaller digits are not particularly significant in the grand scheme of things

>because the smaller digits are not particularly significant in the grand scheme of things

People like you are why we haven't developed time travel yet. You just fucking sit there on your high horse, ignoring the peasant numbers for not being significant enough for your liking. Every goddamned number is important.

Don't wash off all the starch and double fry them

nicely done

off with your numeral communism you Bolshevik