WTF do you guys do with lamb?

WTF do you guys do with lamb?

Get an entire one, rub it with a mixture of honey, salt, black pepper, garlic, and mint, bind it with grape tendrils, burlap, and chicken wire, and let it sit in a hot-coal-filled pit in the ground for ~10 hours, turning regularly.

gyro or kebab if you're a sand nigger.

Season, grill, finish in the oven. Mmmmmmm, fatty lamb ribs

What's the best breed for roasting whole?

I wouldn't focus on a breed (or at least I didn't when I did it...), I would focus on getting a relatively young one from a good breeder. I procured the animal from a friend, had it butchered by another. When I picked the carcass up, it was still warm! It was an awesome experience.

Have you ever roasted an entire animal? It gets a lot of people to come together, not only for eating, but for preparation, too!

That sounds awesome I would like to get to know a local pasture but I live in the city so it's not the easiest thing to find. I've been to several hog roasts but never done one of my own. A small lamb seems more doable since I could actually handle the meat on my own.

What are some traditional sides I can make at the same time? Anyting I can also throw in the pit?

They found a new use for sheep in Montana...
Wool.
Animal-fucking jokes aside, shephard's pie, meatloaf (mixed with pork and beef), and burgers.
Loins are too expensive in the USA for me to bother with. Shank is good, but still too pricey. I'm not sure where the cuts of "steak" come from on a lamb, but they're pretty good and would pay for.
Did a risotto dish with grilled lamb loin at a restaurant I worked at in the mid 90's. It was great. Just lamb loin marinated in oil, garlic, herbs, balsamic. Sliced and placed on the saffron risotto. Little bit of truffle oil and balsamic redux on top with shaved reggiano.
Breddy dank.

Lamb stew is my favorite stew. You can go from light and brothy to dark and sticky with it - the diversity of it as a meat is amazing.

Heh. Well when I did it it started out as a pig roast (150 lb dead weight) and quickly turned into a pig AND lamb roast.

I'd suggest googling around for local meat producers, or contact a butcher and see if they 'know a guy' (they do).

What do you mean 'traditional' sides?

You can throw ANYTHING in the pit! That's what's great about it: it's a hot pit! Dutch ovens with desserts, whole cobs of corn (really great if you do roast a pig), whatever. Really go nuts with it. Just be careful as to where you dig the pit.

Just cuddling...

-Roast leg or shoulder
-chops
They are the two things I do the most.

That loin sounds real dank. The steaks come from the legs as far as I know.
>traditional
i guess I was just thinking if there was some classic pairing like mint sauce or whatever that was a lamb meme I shouldn't skip out on but I'll just roast a ton vegetables and potatoes and what not. Dutch oven is a good call. Might try to make a bread as well.

>steaks come from the legs
Sounds right, not sure where else you'd pull them from.
Mint jelly is overrated IMO. A mustard sauce with mint and maybe some honey... I think of lamb as lean meat that could use extra fat, so a reduced cream might be nice, in moderation... don't want to cover up the flavor of the lamb.

Leg roasted with mint gel

Socks

I'm intolerant to menthol (effects are similar to lactose intolerance). Is there any herb I can use to substitute mint that doesn't have as much menthol and still give it some freshness?

Sage and rosemary.

Rosemary and thyme

Cheers, friend.

HOT

FUCKING

POT

OR BRAISED SHANKS IN A SHEPHERD'S PIE OR BARLEY SALAD

Roasted with rosemary and garlic. Seriously, it's a match made in heaven.

Lamb rump is fukken delicious, as are the chops. Marinade and grill. Complementary flavours include rosemary, garlic, mint, and thyme
Also loads of curries call for lamb , making use of lesser cuts and also being fucking delicious.

British style curry. Strong flavor stands up well to spices.

Bread would be good. If you get some flat stones you could even do roti. I'm a fan of tabouli.

If you do roast a pig, the body cavity is a viable cooking space. Lamb not as much because you cook it to a lower temperature.

Spicy braised mutton with maple, honey, and anise glaze.
Lamb and red wine sausage
Roulade's for days. Get some goat cheese and prosciutto up in that bitch
Burgers
The list goes on and on, lamb is heavenly.