Why do you eat so much meat?

I used to have meat with pretty much every meal because that's how my parents were cooking. After being on my own for a few years I started to change my eating habits and cutting down on meat. Now I only eat meat on special occasions.
Pros:
- plants are cheap
- easier to control my weight
- I only eat good cuts of meat now
- exploring the vegan/vegetarian recipes taught me how to cook with a lot of ingredients I wasn't familiar with

How much meat do you eat? Have you ever thought about cutting down?

Other urls found in this thread:

jmaxfitness.com/blog/protein-intake/
isachandra.com/2009/11/homemade-seitan/
webmd.com/colorectal-cancer/news/20051227/chicken-may-cut-colon-cancer-risk
seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/the-best-black-bean-burger-recipe.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

plants are gay

>Have you ever thought about cutting down?

Nope

Honestly, after eating a vegetarian meal, I just don't feel as satisfied as I do if I had meat.

I go through five pounds of brisket or pork shoulder every four days. Cutting down? No.

I noticed this after some meals.
Foods with a lot of fiber make me feel full just fine though.

Because all the vegetables are wilted or I have to go 1 hour out to the farmers market where I can choose from 10 different stalls of potatoes because it's too fucking cold for good produce. I god damn hate living this fucking town. Can't wait to graduate and move back to a civilized city.

How far from the civilization do you live?

yeah me too. im only in the beginnin. tried to make vege bolognese. failed and it was bad. i like that you can eat like half a kg of salad and its like zero carbs. need to get some good recipes first

Although I have no moral or real health objections to it, I could easily stop eating meat. Carbs on the other hand I would fight you for.

There is a vegan/vegetarian version of pretty much every mean you can think of.
The problem with looking for vegan recipes online is that a lot of people who write them don't understand how to cook so what you end up is a pile of mushed vegetables but if you have basic understanding of how to cook it's not that difficult.

nigger the majority of the shit I cook is mostly vegetables
>make gumbo
it's all vegetable with some meat
>make jambalaya
see above

if you don't like meat in your food you're doing it wrong

yeah im thinkin of looking into asian/indian cuisine cos they must have great vege shit. should ask my mom for grannys vegecurry recipe. im only lessenin my meat eating abit. i love meat. only reason for lessenin is cos its healthier. i dont care about animal right faggotry

I find myself eating less and less meat recently, as well. It now seems strange how much meat I ate growing up. For some reason it was normal for meat to be the main ingredient, with other things like vegetables and spices basically being an afterthought.

Because its healthy.

I would get fat eating plant sources of protein, so I eat meat instead.

>tfw veganaryanmasterrace toobeeonnest

you have to eat a mountain of veggies to get the calories of a burger. I still like veggies and fruit. I don't eat nuts because they taste kinda bad unless you put a heap of salt on em.

Lack of protein.
Unlike you fat fucks, I'm actually Veeky Forums, and lift. If I only ate meat on special occasions, I would make no gains.

what do you do to get filling meals though? What replaces meat? I would love to step away from meat but often most of what makes a dish not literally just some form of bread with flavored fat is the meat you add that makes it fill you properly.

who else /hobovegan/ here?
down to 500-800 calories per day, orthorexic & feeling more spiritually pure than ever.

Beans and lentils are delicious but if that's all you have then it'd be pretty dull.

But I don't. I'm not as extreme as that (unless you count the weekend as a "special occasion") but I don't eat meat with every meal. I'll go a few days at a time without any meat. It seems normal to me.

What makes things hard is when I have to travel for work and I'm in a less advanced part of the US, and everyone is obese, and the best options are Macaroni Grill and shit like that. Then I end up eating a fair amount of meat because that's literally the only option. In such places eating a normal diet is considered subversive and if you eat a single meal without meat people look at you scared, like you're a vegan extremist and you have some kind of agenda.

This
Can't reach and maintain 1/2/3/4 plates lifts natty without eating meat.

That's bullshit though, whey isolate is more bioavailable than meat, and even whey isolate isn't necessary. Whey concentrate is perfectly fine and you don't even need whey, or even animal protein at all. You can get all of your protein requirements met by combining pea and rice protein. Of course there's more to nutrition than protein alone, not that you people would know.

Meat tastes good and it has some micronutrients that are conveniently combined for your gainz, but you can get those elsewhere if you aren't a complete retard. The thing is Veeky Forumsfags tend to be clueless when it comes to shopping for food and cooking so horking down the exact same grilled boneless chicken breast cooked until it's a dry hockey puck seasoned with Mrs. Dash and a side of microwaved Green Giant frozen vegetables 7 days a week while complaining that "being Veeky Forums is suffering" is rightly seen as the only viable option. I mean what do they expect us to do, know what foods contain what nutrients? Lol do you even lift brah?

preach. Veeky Forumsizens also fall for the 1g protein/lbm meme and then wonder why they can't cardio. Get your carbs up.

same boat, except i was one of the above mentioned Veeky Forumsfags and thought that it was the only way to get in shape. Now I basically only eat meat on special occassions and it's definitely improved my wellness/cooking ability/enjoyment of meat when i do partake.

>who is Clarence
Granted the guy is on gear, but he still gets all his protein from plant based sources. Even my friend is vegetarian and has a 1372 total. Being Veeky Forums without eating meat really isn't too difficult anymore

I pretty much only eat meat when I visit my parents, or when I have a BBQ with friends. Not because I don't like it (I love it), but because I'm poor as shit. I've almost completely replaced meat with beans and lentils. Sometimes I'll treat myself to a couple of cheap burgers but that's about it

I don't eat meat but I do eat fish. Pescatarian master race

>Granted the guy is on gear, but...
you could eat nothing but potatoes and coke and still make gains on gear

>Being Veeky Forums without eating meat really isn't too difficult anymore
it's still stupidly inefficient. Your goto protein sources are tempeh and tofu, both of which are estrogenic in the amounts you'd need to eat to get Veeky Forums, not to mention not nearly as bioavailable as whey or meat

past that, you have legumes. Beans are a horrendous source of protein despite what vegans swear (1/2 cup has barely 20g as opposed to 85g of carbs), and you need to eat them with rice to get a full bevy of amino acids

I'd say it's easiER to get Veeky Forums while vegetarian - milk, eggs, whey, cheese, etc. are all pretty good protein sources, but the most efficient diet for trying to build muscle remains one quite high in protein, which is extremely difficult on a vegan/vegetarian diet

1/2 cup of beans has 43g carbs* not 85

>despite what vegans swear

English lesson for our educationally-challenged friends: a vegan is someone who never eats any animal products, not someone who gets nutrition from a wide range of plant and animal sources

Nobody needs 200g protein per day. You'll just fart a lot.

Veeky Forumsfags spend way too much time trying to learn cheat codes that don't exist and not nearly enough time actually doing the hard work. Just shoot for 70-80g and you're set. Protein is not for energy.

> Protein is not for energy.
you're right, it's for building muscle

which is what Veeky Forumsfags try to do

> Just shoot for 70-80g
jmaxfitness.com/blog/protein-intake/

unless you weigh literally 100lbs that's not nearly enough

Read your own link
>there haven't been any recorded advantages of consuming more than 0.64g/lb
But don't let me stop you from living in a cumulonimbus cloud of farts if you think you're a superhuman freak who needs more

It should be around .7 grams of protein per lbs. of bodyweight. Anything more and you're just wasting money

Yes but the guy is an Olympic level lifter while being vegan. There are only a handful of people who can accomplish that even on gear.

>red peppers on the far left and not next to orange

OCD triggered would not shop

>After being on my own for a few years I started to change my eating habits and cutting down on meat.

I did too but only because of living expenses.

Meat and fish is quite expensive for weight and I find if I include it in my weekly shopping would take a significant amount of budget.

I started reducing my meat intake last september. Started out with eating meat only on weekends then I preferred to be more flexible and now eat meat twice a week. Just like you I lost weight, saved money, got to afford duck/rabbit/lamb on the days I eat meat and learned a lot about vegetarian/vegan cuisine.

I find myself depending on eggs/beans/chickpeas too often though. Spinach, broccoli, green beans are my go to greens. I eat bell peppers, aubergine, zucchini since they're the most common veggies in store here but they get bland out of season. I've branched out to squash, sweet potatoes and kale.
Any more tips for diversifying my menu? Ideally stuff that fills me up as much as beans do.

Mushrooms

I went through the same process OP

However, it all started when I met my gf who was a vegetarian at the time. In the past years we've moved in each others direction foodwise: I eat less meat and try more veggies, she had started eating meat again in moderation.

True I should use them more often, but unfortunately i'm a poor student yet i've developed a taste for expensive mushrooms. Bland massproduced shrooms don't taste that good to me ever since i've made a wild mushroom duxelle.

My bf's ED was fixed by a vegan diet

I agree with everything you said and think everyone should be eating more plan-based foods.

2/3s of all americans are obese
1/3 of american kids are obese
98% (!!) of the population is deficient in essential minerals and vitamins you get from fruits and vegetables

Learn how to make seitan. I bake mine in cutlets instead of simmering it isachandra.com/2009/11/homemade-seitan/

Have you actually tracked the amount of meat you eat? It's probably not much

I just eat more fish/chicken and less red meat. Red meat isn't healthy to eat daily.

Chicken is pretty bad for your colon.

Meh i'm not a fan of meat substitutes. I only even eat tofu when i'm making mapo tofu. Quorn and the rest are just uninteresting, if I want meat i'll get meat.

webmd.com/colorectal-cancer/news/20051227/chicken-may-cut-colon-cancer-risk

I like it more than your average meat substitute. It's a rather nice addition to a salad (the saltiness plays off well with a tart vinegarette). It's also good to bulk up sandwiches a bit (where most of the flavor is coming from a spread or veggies).

What makes it a meat substitute?

Ok i'll try it out, never tasted before desu.

not that guy, but anything i'd put in a recipe that would otherwise call for meat i consider a meat substitute

Beans in chilli? Lentils in bolognese? Mushroom Burger?

Let's just say that I used to buy my meat at costco and it didn't take me long to have to go back and buy more.

For me that depends on what you mean by "meat substitute". Most substitutes that try to imitate the taste of meat are pretty bad and I stay away from them. There are a lot of good meat substitutes that only imitate meat in function and try to get the best flavor out the ingredients they are made out of. I had some really good veggie burgers in the past that I would easily choose over some shittier meat burgers I've ate.

Pic related, my homemade beetroot and quinoa burger

Not that user but the correct value is .6-1g/lb of lean mass. It's a pretty wide margin and only lean mass matters.

Definitely possible to hit without meat but it is more difficult.

Meat tastes good and is a good source of protein

>Meat tastes good and is a good source of protein

And? You left us hanging there user.

For future reference it's important to implicitly insult some broadly generalized group of people when posting on Veeky Forums. In this case since we are talking about meat for example you could insult:

>Ameicans
>Fast food eaters
>Fat apologists
>Vegans
>The fitness-obsessed
>The meat industry
>Hippies
>Hipsters
>Nutritionists
>Buddhists
>Muslims
>Jews
>Jains
>Futurists
>Maddox

Also when in doubt blaming the following people for a problem related to the topic is considered good form:
>Fast food shills
>Reddit
>Tumblr
>Shillary Clinton
>Drumpf
>The liberals
>Niggers
>Mexicans
>White guilt
>Women
>Wal mart shoppers
>Whole foods shoppers
>Social justice warriors
>/b/
>Obsessed europeans
>America-hating coastie cucks
>The flyovers
>The cucked mods and their MSM paymasters

I hope you rethink your attitude towards discussing food and cooking. The quality of posts is extremely important to the community.

Go mushroom hunting dude. I go for morels every year. It's awesome.

Heheh. Good post

I eat meat only exclusively when I'm invited over for something, if it's christmas and such.

It's really cheap, I got used to it after just some weeks, meat doesn't ever pass my mind and I lift weighs among some things so I need protein, but it's no issue since it's just as easy as to make some omelette with losts of stuff in it.

potatoes, rice, beans, tomatoes, onions, spinnach and broccoli is what I eat. I go cheap.

Greetings comrade

I have the bf doing that. His penis works now.

Faggot

Meat is food. Everything else is trimmings for the food.

i don't eat very much meat

i like to buy high quality meat (and food in general) so i balance out the cost by eating cheaper plants foods more often

>Why do you eat so much meat?
Because it tastes so good and life is too short to give up on good taste.

I only work during the summer and the rest of the year I am a depressed miser. I'll buy a fryer chicken now and then and make it last about two weeks.

I don't have any problem eating meat and I think the big reason vegans claim to feel better is because they totally overhaul their diet, not just because they stop eating meat once in a while.

I used to be pretty underweight when I was vegetarian, even when I downed as many plant protein smoothies I could but I was still 6'0 and 130lbs.

When I started working out, it became impossible to keep up unless I ate more and vegetables and smoothies weren't cutting it. So I gave meat a try after being vegetarian for 20 years and never even eating a cheeseburger before, went all out and started eating meat with almost everything. I'm now up to 160lbs and look and feel so much better. I used to buy into the vegan/vegetarian garbage and now I know better.

Retardiot

pls no ableism pls k thx :-)

It's kinda funny that you say that because I had the exact opposite problem, I could not manage to lose weight and keep it off until I practically stopped eating meat.

because
im not
a goddamn
SHEEEP
you motherfucker

You know what you guys don't seem to get? You don't need to pop in some vegetarian dishes into your daily meat diet.
You just have to make a few dishes that simply contain no meat. Think of asian food like vegetable curries or even Indonesian food.

Saying that it doesn't give you the same 'fill' is just between your ears.

>Most substitutes that try to imitate the taste of meat are pretty bad and I stay away from them.
This is what I meant. I make black bean burgers often and they are awesome.

divide protein/calories of an steak and of some beans or even a broccoli

tl;dr: you wouldn't

>How much meat do you eat?
I'm too lazy to pull up numbers, but I'd say less than average.
I eat the occosional fast food sandwhich (for me, its the Döner, the best fast food sandwhich) when I have to grab some quick lunch at work and dont have anything with me, and when I eat out "proper", I also often go for something with meat, but my normal, during the week, daily cooking is mostly meat free, or meat poor.
>Have you ever thought about cutting down?
I was raised in a way where we always had some kind of meat, but always good stuff, and never as the main ingredient (i.e. you always get most of your calories from your sides, or bread with some ham or cold cuts on top) and since living on my own I cut it down a bit further.
Meat is fantastic, and I could never become a vegetarian (or vegan even), but the current situation where meat is shitty, overly available and cheap as dirt is just bad.
It's not as nature intended it too (you gotta work for you meat), it's disrespectful against the animal and the old trade of butchering and its really bad for the environment.
So I just try to get good, local and "green" stuff, but not too often.

>what do you do to get filling meals though? What replaces meat?
Carbs.
Pasta to be specific.
Or good, european bread.
Or stuff like lentils and beans are also really filling, plus you get them protons too.

>black bean burgers
That sounds interesting.
More info please!

the irony

>asian food

Like cumin beef, duck buns, braised eel in bamboo, phoenix claw, curried whole fishes, pork blood soup...

seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/the-best-black-bean-burger-recipe.html
Feel free to adjust the recipe, no need to go overboard with what you put in the patty. I personally don't add mayo and chipotle chillies but keep the feta and cashews.
The oven cooking of the beans really helps to avoid the usual mushy texture of black bean burgers.

>Out for dinner for my mates gf's birthday
>Her pet lamb just died a few days ago
>She's a vegan and doesn't eat any meat or dairy products
>Her mother whispers to us to try order something more subtle with no obvious meat as she's still upset
>Rightio I get it, I was pretty upset too when my 15 year old dog died
>Looking at the menu
>Lamb shank stew, rich with vegetable stock, potatoes, carrots etc.
>$15
>God this sounds fucking good and for a solid price too
>Order it
>We all get our dinner
>Mate and her mother look over at my plate
>Half of the lamb shank is hanging out the top of the bowl
>Her mother shakes her head at me
>I pick the shank up and sit it on my plate so I can pick it out
>"Oh my god why would you get that?" his gf screams
>What? I responded
>I pick the shank up and imitate a sheep "Baaa, baaaaaaaa, baaaaa" while pretending to walk it
>She storms out
>Her mother storms out too
>Mate is holding in his laughter
>Her father is in tears smacking the table with his hand out of laughter

It was pretty good, the stock with the vegetables was to die for. Shank was pretty good too, I left a $10 tip

I'm trying to switch to a vegan diet. Wish me luck.

I have some trouble avoiding diary products, but I'll get the hang of it

Removing dairy can be tricky. I recommend exploring asian recipes that often don't have dairy in them in the first place.

Having some nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor and some kind of neutral flavor flower that doesn't have gluten (rice, oat etc.) in your pantry is a good idea.

Rice flour is like pure sugar. Someone without real gluten issues is better off with whole wheat flour. I usually have none, because the stuff made with is more energy dense than any other whole starchy foods I regularly eat, and it takes so much more time to prepare than just steaming some sweet potatoes or whole grains.

Almond milk isn't nutritionally a good substitute but it tastes the best. Helpful if you need to bake or something.

Almond milk is probably the best milk substitute to use for cooking but I prefer soy milk or cashew milk for cereal.

what a horrible mate you are

There's a reason humans adapted to eat meat and dairy. It's good for you. Lots of calories and nutrition. Much better than plant stuff. It even tastes better.

plants are nutritionally dense but caloric lacking. no thanks vegans.

this image made me hungry

Greetings to you, too, brother in arms.
>Tfw you'll never know any other veganfaggots in real life and will only ever have any interaction with them somewhat anonymously (because nsafags and other douchenozzles from other unconstitutional "intelligence" agencies can see everything) on the 4chainz
It's a strange feel to be felt, tobeyawnnest, user.

Any Minnesota vegans want to have an awkward encounter with me and the bf at Reverie tomorrow?

I don't really buy it because I'm cheap and lazy with my cooking, and for that reason only. Only get it if there's a specific recipe I want to try that requires it. I'll get it at restaurants though.

I feel bad. Coming from commiefornia it's relatively easy to meet other vegans. The only downside is when you meet militant ones I can't stand those people who don't let others order what they want when you go out with them.

Because in order to meet my daily calorie needs I would need to eat truck tons of vegetables. I eat meat and cheese for the calories, vegetables for the vitamins and minerals. Works pretty well.

There are other sources of calories other than hamburgers and kale, user