Evaluating happiness

I've had this idea for a while now. Let t be time you've lived so far, and Happiness(t) be a function of how happy you are at any given moment t. Then how good you've lived your life will be measured as an integral of the happiness function. If this evaluated over your lifetime is greater than 0, then your life was worth it, less than 0, not so much. Thoughts on my philosophy?

>user unironically mentions happiness
>mfw

cont'd
this thread needs more schopenhauer memes
good gracious, I have plenty

okay, well, first of all you don't define happiness, so this thread might as well go to trash, but for some unknown reason I would like to have you explain yourself
so... go on

But you've just shifted the problem, now instead of agonising over how to decide if you've lived a good life, you'll agonise over how to define the happiness function.

Congratulations, you've discovered microeconomics.

>Look at me, I just finished Calc 1. Am I smart now?

your philosophy is so shit you should kill yourself desu senpai to be honest with you

I'm retarded but not so retarded that I'd try to impress someone with calc 1 lol

So Heroin, it is

Zamyatin did a sort of thing like this in his book. Was a bit contrived.

At least integrate the square of happiness times sign function with happiness as variable to emphasize the importance of great moments. Also fuck latex.

It's not an issue of your happiness, but of everyone's (your own included).

If you make other people happy then your life has value even if you can't find happiness yourself. Conversely, if you achieve happiness at the expense of everyone else, we'd all be better off without you.

define happiness

happiness is extremely painful

There's no such thing as value. Why should someone give a shit about everyone else?

thats rediculous.

the continuous sum of happiness is not what determines if your life was worth living.

for me

Philosophy belongs on and

Go back to your cabinet Bentham.

The idea that happiness in of itself should be the goal of life is wrongheaded.

That is because emotions themselves are a sense for phenomena; your sense of happiness, or sadness, or any other thing, is a watermark for the direction of action.

The 'hedonic tredmill' is not a bug, but a *feature*. Adapting your range of emotions to the given range of stimuli is vital for them to carry out their function.

If you felt happy all the time, that would be a *malfunction*, your ability to make adaptive decisions in response to differing experiences would be crippled.

It would be like if you were to walk out into sun after being in the shade, but your eyes never adjust sensitivity, and hence are blinded by the signal, perceiving no patterns or features in the undifferentiated glare.

Furthermore, holding up happiness unqualified as an ultimate object it a good way to make people needlessly neurotic; when their their range of responses adapt to their circumstances *as in good working order*, someone who holds happiness as an ultimate object becomes unhappy and existentially discomfited over the fact that he does not feel happy all the time. The preoccupation with happiness perversely causes people to be even less happy than they would be otherwise, rather than simply being content knowing things are working as they should be.

Feelings of gaiety (and all other feelings) are not the high goals, but tools for working towards even greater goals.

for you