Spoiled salami?

I left some unopened salami out of the fridge last night and just remembered it now, is it still safe to eat?

probably more like 18

I wouldn't worry about it.

Salami is left out for months

modern processed "cured" meat isn't actually cured and shouldn't be treated as such. Throw that shit away, it's probably full of roaches shit to begin with.

we once had salami that was so old it had white fuzzy mold on it, my grandpa just scraped that part off and ate it anyway

he was fine

probably more like 5000

my mom used to do that with bread

True dry cured salami is stored at cool room temperatures. But if it's the amerifat mass produced garbage labeled "salami," it will last 3 days or so in a refrigerator after opening just like the other amerifat garbage deli meats.

When i was 4 I once hid a hot dog for 3 weeks and it shriveled up with oil coming out the ends and I still ate it and I'm alive to this day.

i just ate some, it was ok

so much this, modern fast processed cheese is the same way. some preserves as well.

Would someone ITT be kind enough to explain the difference between the 'modern crap' cured meats and the regular ones, please?

They're basically bitching entirely about moisture content - implying that somehow cheaper wetter "modern crap" is any lower in sodium or saturated fat than hard salami.

Right, but you see: the moisture is what allows bacteria to grow, which in turn is what causes it to spoil.

Traditionally cured DRY salami is safe to store at room temperature because it doesn't easily allow bacteria to grow. Because it's dry. And cured.

The modern amerifat lunch meats are filled with a saline multiple chemical solution and have no moisture loss which means they must be stored in the refrigerator for only a short period of time. Dry cured sausages like true salami are fermented and dried over several months in cotrolled temperature and humidity achieving a moisture loss of 30%-35% which makes them shelf stable at cool room temperatures. In some areas of Europe no chemicals are added. Otherwise, the only chemical added will be a small amount of sodium nitrate to ensure against the growth of botulism.

>a saline multiple chemical solution
And they don't put preservatives in to prevent bad microbes' growth on these lunch meats? I can't believe there are products on the US food market that can poison you if you forget about them for a night.

Being dried as opposed to a wet sponge, being actually smoked as opposed to washed in wood spirits, being properly salt cured as opposed to muh low sodium+E250. All of these things are what used to act as preservatives but are nowadays cheap ways of approximating the old flavour. Sometimes poorly.

>And they don't put preservatives in to prevent bad microbes' growth on these lunch meats?
Yes, but not enough to make them unrefrigerated goods. And you wouldn't want them to, either. That stuff isn't particularly good for you. Or your gut flora.
Proper cheese and charcuterie work by the mechanisms of and having so much of relatively harmless moulds and lactic acid bacteria living there as to kill off intruders. Your sterile supermarket ware will allow all kinds of shit to grow as soon as you open the packet, if not before.

I dont believe you, ghostposter.

Piggybacking on OP, how do you know if almond milk has gone bad? Does it smell rancid like milk milk?