Why do people say mathematics is "beautiful"?

Why do people say mathematics is "beautiful"?

Are they just autistic? Or are they fedora neckbeards who believe that being "fascinated" by mathematics makes them super smart? What's the deal?

nice buzzwords

>Math sucks I hate it

*teleports behind you*

Heh, guess you should have
COUNTED
your blessings

>*beheads you with a single flick of the wrist*

>In college
>See some old adult student with extreme premature balding and fuzzy hair
>"What I like so much about mathematics are the theorems, sometime I solve them by myself in my spare time, it's so fun!"
>Other ugly manlet nerds continue cerclejerking this around my locker

Do they realize how fucking disgusting they are?

Are you OP?

>>See some old adult student with extreme premature balding and fuzzy hair
How can an old adult have "premature" balding?

Really makes the neurons fire. Pondering this problem is bringing me to a higher plane of enlightenment. Unfathomably beautiful.

Nope user, not even bothered by people that think math is "beautiful" or "interesting", but that sperg of autism really triggered me.

His good skin complexion makes him look 20 but his baldness and other traits makes him look pretty old overall, he's probably 30 in reality. Truly a sight to behold, really tickled my almonds the first time I saw him.

Fucking this. These people are the cringiest. Jesus fuck. No, mathematics is not beautiful, you fedora-loving faggot. You're not cool for pretending to think mathematics is the greatest thing in existence. Kill yourselves, neckbeards.

Okay, fedora-bashing aside, I've had similar thoughts along this line. If Erdos talks about how beautiful mathematics is, is he really talking about a "beauty" that as any connection to the beauty that is connected to art and love? Erdos spent almost every minute of his waking life thinking about numbers. Wouldn't it make sense then that the "beauty" he sees in mathematics is just a kind of abstract and specialized term that has no relationship at all to the "beauty" of common language, as he never had any nontrivial experiences pursuing nonmathematical beauty?

>It is easy to see that most people are not able to recognize my talents, so I can just sit back and have comfort that I am not being wasted.
The proof is obvious and is left as an exercise.

math is cool and fun but no one that talks or thinks like the op's pic is.

>itt undergrads who failed calc 1

>DUDE TRIPLE INTEGRALS LMAO

Most are fedoratards.

Some math can be beautiful (read elegant), and some is ugly as shit.

So it's not that they are necessarily wrong, it's just that most of the idiots who spout this just want to sound smart.

Lol, it seems your only math knowledge comes from memes.

Nobody except women uses the word "beautiful."

>"Or are they fedora neckbeards who believe that being "fascinated" by mathematics makes them super smart?"
I'd go with "normie redditors" instead of "fedora neckbeards" but yeah, good job.

>"If Erdos talks about how beautiful mathematics is, is he really talking about a "beauty" that as any connection to the beauty that is connected to art and love?"

from Wikipedia's page on "Mathematical Beauty:"
>"Bertrand Russell expressed his sense of mathematical beauty in these words:

>'Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty — a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show. The true spirit of delight, the exaltation, the sense of being more than Man, which is the touchstone of the highest excellence, is to be found in mathematics as surely as poetry.'"

What a crock of shit. An aesthete who so readily puts down forms he does not understand is no aesthete at all. It is no less puerile than a fine arts tard dismissing mathematics, just because Russell may be found by committee to be more intelligent than our theoretical fine arts student.

>"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is"
Imagine, if you will, a world, architect-ed by Russell and Erdos, not for Man, but for a theoretical "more than Man," whose specifications and aesthetic taste they do not know, and fail to describe in any detail. All they know is that it is "cold and austere." Give me idiot flower child instead. If you have ever seen the personal webpage of a mathematician at university, you will see they do not know the first fucking thing about "beauty."

Because it is beautiful.

And we're not autistic. We're just better and more intelligent in every way, as seen by IQ studies of different majors, with us topping the lists, with Philosophy close behind.

>with Philosophy close behind.

Every study I've seen has put Philosophy fags at the top. Get rekt mathcucks.

I've seen around 20 different studies, and mixture of physics, math, and sometimes electrical engineering, are always on top, never Philosophy.

Can I see which ones you're referring to?

Russell is a special kind of crazy, completely outside the realm of any of these other neckbeards. Mathematics was literally the only thing that kept him from killing himself (allegedly).

yes and yes

It's a meme

This thread makes me somewhat sad. I get that you're falling behind in life and I don't know why math became a problem for you, but I don't think the whole "Fox and the Grapes" routine is to your advantage really. It's not like math-savvy people are going to go "I love my work, and I'm expecting to bathe in money, appreciation and a sense of contribution to humanity as a whole my whole adult life, but some guys on Veeky Forums thinks it's cringe-worthy so I'm going to get into some fine art instead."

Sometimes, you see texts that very cleverly exploit some detail you might have overlooked, or unexpectedly bridge some parts of math you didn't think had anything to do with each other and completely change the way you think about something.
There's no good adjective for that. It's a bit like hearing of a very funny joke. It might not be "beautiful", but there's enjoyment that comes from the element of surprise and the cleverness of the whole argument.