What the hell is wrong with Southerners and why do they covet RC Cola and Moon Pies together...

What the hell is wrong with Southerners and why do they covet RC Cola and Moon Pies together? Moon Pies taste like drywall

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=loamVbAOsPo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've lived in the south for 18 years and never have I seen those two drank together.

You'd be better off saying Cheerwine and banana pudding my friend.

29 years here, I don't think I've ever seen RC Cola for sale.

Freaks

youtube.com/watch?v=loamVbAOsPo

> The snack is often associated with the cuisine of the American South where they are traditionally accompanied by an RC Cola.

Moon Pie wiki page

A bit of an antiquated idea. Maybe in the deep south. Doesn't apply where I'm at.

I have a theory on this. Boozers tend not to like sweet shit. People who are really into sweet stuff usually aren't big boozers, or don't drink at all. You see this in the Muslim world. Drinking is frowned upon (or downright illegal) and their sweets are crazy sweet (and they eat a lot of them). There are a lot of people in the American South who don't drink for religious or cultural reasons. I would expect such people to be into really sweet stuff. And the top five US states in terms of soda consumption are all Southern except for Nevada, where many don't drink alcohol for religious reasons as well.

You cant understand why somebody would eat and drink something for the purpose of nostalgia? Also RC Cola is amazing. Crazy sweet as it has a ton if sugar/HFCS but it goes good with spicy food.

>having a house made with shitty tasting drywall.

Perhaps you might be a faggot.

>my house is made of the most delicious drywall
>faggot
Pick both.

interesting point
makes me consider the southern predilection for very very sweet tea

In terms of history, sugary drinks were all the rage in the South because of Prohibition and the ubiquity of sugar (not to mention its low cost at the time).

"The millionaire may drink champagne while the poor man drinks beer, but they both drink soda-water." - Harper's Weekly,1892

This bakes my noodle too, but I also know plenty of people who drink heavily, but still drink soda, "juice," etc. They're also younger (early 20s). There might be some kind of correlation.

>Nevada
>Don't drink
>For religious reasons

WAT?! Rest sounds solid though. My parents are sugar fiends and teetotaleers, I hate sugar and post in al/ck/ threads.

moon pies are terrible, banana pudding should take its throne

Not him, but Nevada has a pretty large Mormon population. IIRC, it's even where most of the Mormon fundamentalist groups are located. Las Vegas isn't representative of the rest of the state.

Moon pies and RC are kind of an older generation thing. I see a lot more Little Debbie snacks and standard coca cola than any other junk food.

But doesn't Reno and Vegas account for the majority of the population? I can understand having a decent amount of Mormons, but nowhere near a majority, I'm pretty ignorant about Nevada though.

My point is that you often find high sugar consumption in places where people don't drink for religious reasons. But those aren't the ONLY places where people eat lot of sugar. Sugar consumption has other obvious cultural factors, like traditions of baking and/or candy making. The UK, Ireland, Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium consume a fuckton of sugar, and it's not like those countries don't consume a lot of alcohol as well. But my guess is those consuming the most sugar in these countries are not the ones consuming the most alcohol.

My grandmother was raised all over the American South, being born to a migrant farmhand family (basically white slaves). When I was a little kid, (21 now) and I'd spend the night at her house, her idea of a 10/10 desert was a Banana Creme Pie (basically a banana flavored moon pie instead of chocolate) and none other than a cold can of RC Cola. It feels like some kind of 50s or 60s PipBoy type shit. Love it.

Post pic of your very next meal so everyone can see what modern white trash eat.

Cheerwine and Banana Pudding sounds pretty fucking awesome

this

>lived in the south for 22 years
>can't find moon pies anymore
>have to settle with choco pies from the nearby Korean grocery

Just.

No, silly, it's salted peanuts in a Coca Cola or Dr. Pepper.
I used to love RC cola as a kid, but I never associated them with eating Moon Pie. (As an adult, I don't drink soda at all). But, as a kid, back when you could still get a glass bottle of Coke or Dr. Pepper out of a ice cold metal drink machine, I hardly never drank one without funneling a small package of salted peanuts into it. It's the perfect snack (which I also don't eat anymore).

I've actually tried this out of curiosity

It wasn't really that good

Try this instead.

In the South, the actual term is "moon cricket"

it was a black thing to the best of my knowledge.
and a very old trend.
t. Mississippi for 35 years.

I'm from Mobile, home of the moon pie drop, and no one eats those shitcakes outside of Mardi Gras season. Also, who drinks RC? Never seen it sold outside of really shitty wholesale grocery stores. Sounds like a forced meme, like peanuts and coke or fried twinkies

Had beans and rice at a Hispanic friend's house. So yeah that's 100% accurate there. The typical modern white trash meal: the one that belongs to the minority friend. Wild.

I unironically like moonpie and RC, and put gravy on everything I can, AMA.

>Cheerwine and banana pudding

i have the proudest, most southern boner right now.

How fat?

I'm from the south and moon pies are fucking disgusting.

Born and raised in Alabama, where Mardi Gras started. Before New Orleans even existed.

This is not a pairing at all. Salted/parched peanuts and Coca Cola are way more a common pairing.

Impossible. Or you think you live in the South (Maryland, Missouri) but honestly you don't.

>Lots of religious people don't drink in the South.
Haha, oh please. Grew up in a dry county, believe me we drink. Saw so much moonshine you could swim in it. Now that u loved across the country, I hardly see nor hear about moonshine.

>Alabama, where Mardi Gras started. Before New Orleans even existed.

From history.com:

Many historians believe that the first American Mardi Gras took place on March 3, 1699, when the French explorers Iberville and Bienville landed in what is now Louisiana, just south of the holiday’s future epicenter: New Orleans. They held a small celebration and dubbed the spot Point du Mardi Gras.

Your assignment of a Catholic holiday celebration to a state that is a stronghold of christian evangelism was so absurd, I had to look it up. Get better and become Catholic, you hypocritical heretic.

>Cheerwine

I may be English, but the bit of North Carolina in my blood just tingled.

This is true with me, when I was younger I loved sweet shit but when I started drinking heavy & habitually I cut all candy/sweets etc out of my diet.

I've lived in the south my entire life, and used to work at a convenience store, we sold Moon Pies but had an old man who would come in regularly and buy our entire stock of Moon Pies. Old people go crazy over that shit

Moonpies and whoopie pies are terrible and only old people of south and Pennsylvania respectively like that shit

I live in Tennessee, there's an RC Cola/Moon Pie festival annually in a shithole town about an hour away from here.

Also one of my friends only mixes whiskey with RC Cola. I've never had plain RC, only mixed drinks that he's made.