Is making your own tofu worth it?

Is making your own tofu worth it?

Or is store bought fine.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/5qco8k/is_it_worth_it_to_make_your_own_tofu/
youtube.com/watch?v=EwVIhQ1TW10
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

infuse it with semen

I'll only infuse it man essence if I'm about to serve it to Veeky Forums.

By the way, when is the next meet up?

If you can get soybeans for significantly less, then I'd say it is. You also get soymilk and okara out of the deal.

Any guides on how to do this? Sounds like a pain in the ass.

Supposedly it tastes much better.

I've made it before but by just improvising the press. It's not hard. You soak soybeans in water then grind them running the liquid off through a cheese cloth. This is the soy milk. You heat to a certain temperature and add a coagulant. I always use food grade gypsum but some people use vinegar. After it sets up you place the curds in a cheesecloth and put weight on it in a strainer until it firms up. Hard to say if it's worth it or not, really. I was never able to get a soft or silken tofu, it was always fairly firm.

This is the process i'm planning on using (ATK)

1/2

Tofu is dirt cheap, honeslty no reason to make it yourself unless you enjoy the process.

Basically what I did except used gypsum instead of nigari. Maybe nigari will produce a softer tofu for you than gypsum did for me. I'd like to hear if it does and I might try to get some of that and try it again.

How do you manage to find the right amount of gypsum/nigari? Is it forgiving?

It will make you a better driver.

I used the culturesforhealth website recipe that called for 2 tsp of gypsum or 1 tsp nigari for 2 quarts of soy milk. It came out pretty firm. They say use less if you want it softer, but when I cut it down to 1.5 tsp of gypsum it still seemed just as firm.

>when I cut it down to 1.5 tsp of gypsum it still seemed just as firm
I see, gypsum still in excess... Thanks for the resources.

reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/5qco8k/is_it_worth_it_to_make_your_own_tofu/

>tfw reddit at the rescue of ck

You can also make tofu out of garbanzo beans way easier, and it's a bit more silken
youtube.com/watch?v=EwVIhQ1TW10

I know what I'm doing tomorrow

Avoid Pulmuone and House Foods tofu (if you have those locally). Worked in one of those as a micro QA (won't say which) and they made absolute filth. I had acquaintances that worked in the other plant that would tell me of the disgusting production facilities.

In fact, if possible, always make food yourself.

>absolute filth
Any details about said filth? Tofu is meant to be cooked, after all.

>asmr fag shit
Stop

> not noticing the amazing recipe and getting triggered by the format
autism

It's blended, strained chickpeas. Fuck off