Chatty Waitresses and Other annoying shit Servers do

I swear one thing that will make me never want to come back to a place is when the waitress is way too fucking chatty.

I get it, you wanna give good service, but chatting my ear off isn't the way to get a better tip.

I went to Denny's the other day, because I really like their build your own grand slam breakfast. Pretty good, and you get 4 things for under 10 bucks, and their pancakes are much better than they used to be.

I go down there and this lady starts chatting my ear off about what she had for breakfast even though I didn't ask, and how she wishes she could have such an awesome breakfast with pancakes like I got. Then when she was clearing my stuff she felt it necessary to mention how they only have bussers on weekends. She also made sure to chat my ear off again when she checked on me. I just wanted to be left alone with my food and enjoy the morning.

I'll probably still go back, but never on the weekdays when she's working.

I work in food service too, but jeeze that was annoying.

What are some other things that servers do to make you never want to go back?

Other urls found in this thread:

acfchefs.org/ACF/Certify/Levels/ACF/Certify/Levels/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just wait til you get one who actually sits down at the table and chats. It's happened to me several times.

Worst is a chatty waiter at a nice-ass restaurant when you're on a date and they just keep going and going. It's like, fuck, I'm paying hundreds of dollars for a nice evening, not to be a stand-in therapist or something.

Oh god, I've seen that happen to other people but never me. It's like damn lady don't get that comfortable, just be nice, ask if what we want to drink, if we're ready to order, etc.

I feel like if I go back to Denny's and see this same waitress she'll chat even more than she did the first time. I swear I felt like she was close to sitting down as well.

>tfw waitresses never get chatty with me even though the main reason I eat out is that I'm desperate for any kind of human interaction

It's like they can smell the loneliness.

>conversations require two participants

Do you just expect people to come up to you and talk at you? Why dont you try talking to them?

That's generally just a thing that Denny's waitresses do. They serve a LOT of long-haul truckers, cab drivers, sometimes pilots, cops getting off duty late at night, etc.
Generally weary, tired people who havent had a decent conversation in awhile because they're always working nights and giving them that conversation lands you BIG tips.

I had a roommate who was a waitress there, she'd clear $500 in tips on a weekend easily.

Your mom buying your dinner for your birthday isnt a date

You guys literally sound like you licked the window on the bus as children

Was having lunch with my dad the other day at a place that is popular for business lunches. The ditzy waitress wouldn't stop flirting with my dad. It was super awkward because my dad is kind of shy and was really just trying to get her to shut up.

I hate it but I can't blame them, they're often encouraged to do it and a lot of people want chatty servers for some reason.

>conversations require two participants
If that's the case then why do they chat up the OP when he clearly isn't a participant?

I hate when the place isnt even crowded and they're constantly coming by to ask if you've decided on what you want, or when you're almost done and they keep coming by to check if theres 'anything else you need' when they clearly just want me out the door.

I don't understand why people would want that. Maybe if you talk back at them in a certain way, but I'm pretty sure I was just being nice and short with my responses.

That shits even more annoying when they flirt like that, as if it's not super obvious they're trying to get a better tip. They probably do it cuz it works though.

I mean I understand they have to check on you at least once, and that's fine but usually it should just be a quick question "hows everything?"

Is it like considered a cardinal sin to ask the waiters to leave you alone in America? Here in the UK they just kinda do what they have to do and go away, if they came to sit down with me I'd just ask them to leave desu

>I don't understand why people would want that. Maybe if you talk back at them in a certain way, but I'm pretty sure I was just being nice and short with my responses.
I don't get it either but there are tons of people that like that. I've heard waitresses say that they get regulars that don't talk much but tip well. I think it might be shy men who like being around a chatty waitress and other chatty women who like it.

So unless you actually indicate that you dislike it she might not have reason to believe that you do dislike it. I'd suggest you have a clear conversation with someone else or have something to do (a laptop or phone out, a book, whatever) if you want them to really leave you alone.

Plus obviously the whole "chatty/flirty" waitress thing is an actual business model, see: Hooters.

If you do it politely it's probably fine. They're just generally required to keep checking up on you.

I really don't want to be mean. I don't want my service effected because of something I said. I guess what i'm saying is it would probably at least seem rude of me.

>3rd world problems

You people are autistic as fuck. Just talk to the God damn people working there. Maybe you'll actually make some friends.

Fuck me.

I'm sorry, but this is fucking hilarious.

This shit is not allowed at my restaurant

This or "tableside squatting" is also not allowed

Cell phone use during shift outside of work or emergency results in a reduction of shifts for two weeks.

I've spent a lot of time coming up with rules/code of conduct for our FOH staff and while they are strict and quite expansive we pay a full wage and have a very high level of staff retention.

You own a restaurant? or work at one? Tell me more about it! Do you enjoy your work? What do you think goes into making a successful restaurant?

I love hearing about restaurants. I work in food service but it's sort of for a chain, I try to give the best service possible without chatting people's ears off. We aren't exactly a sit down place, even though we bring the food out to eat in customers.

>boss takes us all out for lunch
>cute waitress openly flirts with me and only me in front of my coworkers

Too bad I was too autismal to ask her out

>not turning that into a threesome like my chinese dating sims

Up your game nigga

So i've been FoH for about 4 years, and I think what customers don't quite get is that any joke you have about the food or drinks about the restaurant I have heard hundreds of times before, i.e calling a finger bowl soup. What makes me laugh the most is when a customer breaks the fourth wall so to speak and just talks to me like a normal person, this is when we both have the most fun, and I don't have to resort to a script of jokes I know I can make robotically, which is unsatisfying as fuck

Go back, faggot

How do you break the fourth wall?

> hey user! What can I get for you?

Yup, flirted

A u t i s t

>regularly get flirted by waitresses
>get their numbers all the time
>girlfriend hates eating out due to the amount of flirting I get

Feels good to be a Chad

yeah I always stay away from that. Idk if im with a group I might end up being more chatty, but this time I was going alone to just have a nice quiet breakfast. That didn't end up happening though lol.

I always try to sympathise with the servers and tip well cuz I have to deal with asshole customers too.

I don't own the restaurants. I work for a privately owned restaurant group. I serve as the EC for one of the restaurants.(I'm also an ACF certified CdC(CCC) working on my CEC cert) For all intents and purposes it is mine since I control every facet of it. I also serve as CdC, which is my main title, for the restaurant group which mean that while each individual restaurant in the group has a different individual running the day to day operations the EC and I are over all of them and I handle menu dev, new openings, and things like that. I get paid salary plus I have a stake in the company.

I also own my own separate business which is mainly consulting, menu dev, and restaurant design but I also do private instruction as well as catering which is sub contracted out to the restaurant group for the time being since most of my time is spent in there and I don't have a whole lot of time to grow my business right now but it works out pretty well.

I have a ServSafe Proctors cert as well but that's mainly because its a lot cheaper to have me run classes for staff than outsourcing it.

I'd be happy to answer whatever questions you have.

I do really enjoy my work. I've been doing it for a decade now and its the best decision I ever made. I couldn't imagine doing anything else really.

That's really neat user! Thanks for sharing all that info. Seems like a good business to get into. Did you go to school for such a thing? How did you obtain those certifications?

Also are you in charge of hiring? What do you like best in an employee? What do you like least in one?

do they give it to you on the check in front of your gf? lol

Neither because he's full of shit

It was like a 50 year old dude

>he doesn't the best pleasure of a mmf threesome

I do all the hiring for my place as well as the hiring for new places. Hiring for the other restaurants is done by the EC & myself most of the time though sometimes he isn't always there.

I did not go to school & I think that going to school right now is a waste of money. Maybe not so much in the past but as saturated as the market is & with so many places offering degrees in it these days I just don't think its worth the money. If you do well & attend a good school you can sometimes get connections out of it though. At the very least I would recommend spending a few years in a kitchen to see if its something you really want to pursue before spending all that money on school. Too many people think its an easy career alternative if they can't hack it or don't want to do to a traditional college or think that because they like to cook at home for friends and family that they would be a good fit. Truth be told I've fired most of the culinary school kids I took a chance on.

The most important thing for me is a desire to learn and a good work ethic. I don't mind taking on someone who is green as long as they are really enthusiastic and really want to learn and I'd rather teach someone the right way from the beginning than to take someone on who I will have to reteach everything.

Most of my BOH staff is pretty static though. I hand picked my team when I first got in charge of the place with people who I worked with before and knew would do a great job and with the exception of a few who moved on to better things most are still there. When an opportunity does come up we usually promote from within but I do take on the occasional greenhorn from time to time and then sometimes we'll pass these guys on to other places so they can get more experience.

The other places are a little bit different and have higher turnover. Experience is always a good thing. I'd rather have someone on the line for 4 years than in CS for 4 but ultimately it depends on the person.

Thanks for the info. I've just been reading into a lot of this lately and i'm curious. I'm already in debt from going to college, and I have a degree, I'm just struggling to find a job atm in my field. I think experience is key in the industry you're in, from what I read you can be successful with or without school.

I am very interested in cooking and restaurants though and always like to learn more.

So you do the hiring huh? What would be some red flags for you as an employer?

Ran out of characters.

As for the certifications you can see them here as well as their requirements: acfchefs.org/ACF/Certify/Levels/ACF/Certify/Levels/

You don't have to go to school but you do have to know your shit and they can be pretty hard as you move up especially the practical though the exam portion is nothing to scoff at its no where close to the practical portion. I'll probably never get a CMC certification for instance. There are only a handful. You also have to recertify every so often and do "continuing education" in between which isn't that bad.

Its definitely worth doing and I've made a lot of connections. At the very least I would recommend becoming a member even if you don't certify right away.

I recently went to taco bell and the drive throughs of all the ones near me have all started starting off by asking "hi how are?" its not like they are just saying it as a greeting they really want to go through with the whole small talk exchange

pretty offsetting desu

yes, yes I know I am an autist

>waitress sits down at table with customers
>tableside squatting

I posted about these two specific things on Veeky Forums just a few weeks ago and nobody could relate, said they've never heard of such a thing, and I was ridiculed. Where were you guys to support me in my time of need? What the hell, I hate Veeky Forums now

Well, like I said, experience is good but it isn't everything. Show up, look professional, and tell them you want to learn. Someone will take you in. Start out at the places you want to work most and try to sit down with their chef or sous. Make sure to go in during mid-afternoon though before dinner service and after lunch service if they offer it. If they see you really want to learn a lot of them will take you on. A lot of people go to a restaurant to work because they can't get on anywhere else. You on the other hand would be there because you want to be there rather than anywhere else. That's a big plus in my book. Carry around a little pad and paper and write stuff down when you get on somewhere. Do a lot of research in your spare time. Pick up as many shifts as you can. You will have to work your way up but its still experience and you make friends there who can get you on at other places when you are ready for a change. Just be prepared to work your ass off. A hard working newbie is better than a lazy commis with a few years experience IMO. If you get on at a good place it can open up a lot of doors. Its not for everyone but if you try it and like it making a career out of it is definitely achievable but you do have to work at it.

It really depends on the person but a big red flag for me is someone who has worked at 20 places in 5 years or something like that. Sometimes places just don't fit with you but if you are quitting or getting fired every couple of months something is definitely wrong there. Hygiene is really important as well and the willingness to do anything and arrogance is red flag for me. I may be hiring you as a chef de partie but you're not too good to jump on dish and help out if you need to or clean the bathroom.

Sorry, man. I don't post as much as I used to years ago and I must have missed that one. Its definitely a thing though and I can't stand it.

>making friends with waiters/waitresses aka the low of the low
>the people who have zero talents
>the people whose money lies solely on tips
no thanks

OP here, im sorry user I would have if I was on then. I love these types of threads. I decided to make it after it happened to me just the other day at Denny's. I knew this was the right place to go.

Thanks user I really appreciate all the info, very useful stuff! I really appreciate you taking all the time to write this stuff out!

I don't go out to eat to make friends user, although I don't go out to be rude to the servers either. I just don't wanna hear them yap about shit I don't want to hear.