I must be literally retarded

I must be literally retarded.

How the fuck do you make pancakes that are fat and fluffy like in all the pictures I see online? Whenever I make them they always turn out flat and sad like anime girls. I can make just about anything except some fucking pancakes. I might as well give up and just make crepes and pretend that's how God intended them.

Other urls found in this thread:

epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/giant-sunday-pancakes-473
youtube.com/watch?v=2iWUUcW08ac
finecooking.com/articles/bake-with-buttermilk.aspx
youtube.com/watch?v=WTmmTReqDtw
youtu.be/2iWUUcW08ac
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You're probably overmixing. Also, you are probably using a boxed pancake batter...

I've tried both boxed and homemade.

Did you try yeast pancakes? Did you use the proper flour? Are you overmixing? Are you dumping the batter in all at once? Or doing a slow pour like you are suppose to so it piles up rather than spreads out?

The eggs man, gotta separate 'em.

try this one

Ingredients

3 large free-range eggs
115 g plain flour
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
140 ml milk

Method

1 First separate the eggs, putting the whites into one bowl and the yolks into another.
2 Add the flour, baking powder and milk to the yolks and mix to a smooth thick batter.
3 Whisk the whites with 1 pinch of sea salt until they form stiff peaks, then fold into the batter – it is now ready to use.

Never fails me. Turns out almost as thikk as your pic.

sift the dry ingredients and don't overstir.

>they always turn out flat and sad like anime girls

organic kek

The real question should be, "why would you want to?" The best pancakes are no more than 1/4" thick, period. I wouldn't even eat what is shown in your pic and if it was served to me in a restaurant, I'd refuse to pay for it.

I have never made pancakes like this, though I kinda remember a friend after having made some say that he used sodium instead of baking powder. Maybe try that?
I might be wrong though.

>ctrl+f lid, no results
lid

Because I already know how to make thin pancakes.

How will I learn that THICC is worse if I never get to eat it?

baking powder pumps up the fluff, fyi...

Have you tried using leaf lard?

Start the day before, and let your batter chill in the fridge overnight. If you want thick pancakes you need thick batter.

I just used this recipe the other day to make pancakes for me and the bf.

epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/giant-sunday-pancakes-473

They were pretty fluffy, but you have to make sure the oil in your pan is very hot when you slowly pour the batter in to prevent it from spreading out. I also think it helps to pour in some batter, let it spread a bit, about 30 seconds later pour more batter on, so that the bottom is already cooked and the pancake won't spread.

I also second what this user says about separating the eggs. It works for cakes and frosting.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I used vegetable shortening instead of butter as a cooking oil because the butter would brown and burn without getting hot enough to keep the pancake batter in one place.

Use clarified butter or lard then. Vegetable shortening is shit and is to lard what margarine is to butter.

Can you use duck fat?

This!

Whisked whites are the only way to go if you want something like your picture.

Depends on if you are making sweet pancakes or savory pancakes.

consult our boi matty
youtube.com/watch?v=2iWUUcW08ac

If I wanted to add a little sweetness to this would vanilla extract fuck anything up? (shit at cooking sweet things / baking) or should I just rely on the syrup to sweeten.

Yeah.. more baking powder. Double whatever any recipe calls for.

Also, you can mix up the batter a little thick (just a little) and use egg rings. grease the egg rigns and when you flip, flip the whole thing rings and all.

The egg white bullshit that people are talking about here is a fucking meme.

But don't over beat the shit... and don't let the batter sit. mix it and make the pancakes within 7 seconds of mixing.

>this egg white bullshit is a fucking meme
>use egg rings

do ho ho

Are you confusing a "meme" with a "novelty item"?

STIFF
T
I
F
F

Reverse image search says these are called "soufflé pancakes" and most recipes involve raising flour and beaten egg whites.
Some involve mayonnaise.

PEAKS
E
A
K
S

How much do you want to spend on pancakes?

>they always turn out flat and sad

too much liquid

>turn out flat and sad like anime girls
Im gonna need an example

try making yeast pancakes. they are god tier.

My go to is a Cook's Illustrated recipe for "best buttermilk pancakes" which makes pretty thick (but not like freakishly thick or anything) nice, fluffy pancakes. I don't remember it off hand but you can probably find it online, it has sour cream in it which is a bit unusual but should make it pretty obvious if you have the right one. Anyways key is not to overmix, mix it just enough to combine the wet and dry ingredients so it's still lumpy with some streaks of flour still visible and then to let the batter sit for about 10 min before frying it up; I'm pretty sure both techniques probably help no matter what recipe you're using

If you use whisked egg whites, why the need for baking soda?

Just use less wet mix. That's it

Do you have a rice cooker?

Just use whatever boxed mix you have and pour that shit right in there with a bit of butter at the bottom.

You're welcome.

Are those even cooked in the middle? When they get set down on the plate it looks like there's a band of raw dough running through the centre.

>they always turn out flat and sad like anime girls

sodium would not react well with the water, I think

Flat pancakes are better. I wish the "light and fluffy" meme would die.

>raw in the middle like Jack made them

depends on the used extract, just scrape off some. fresh vanilla to be 100% fine, I like to include some lemon zest as well

I am a failure.

RAW PANCAKES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

thanks for the omelette recipe famalam

what are you using to mix

Is buttermilk not available in your gulag? Swap buttermilk for milk and add 1/4 tsp baking soda. If you want fluffy pancakes, then don't add so much liquid. Use a cast iron griddle which is nice and hot. Rub it with oil before you introduce the batter. Maybe 90 seconds a side. VOILA! Pancakes! Serve with real butter and real maple syrup, NEVER fake pancake syrup.

1 1/4 C AP flour
1 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

1 egg
2 T vegetable oil
1 C buttermilk

Whisk dry ingredients

Mix wet ingredients

Combine and let sit a couple/three minutes.

>Rub it with oil before you introduce the batter
If you're making pancakes you're gonna need bacon anyway, just cook some bacon in the cast iron first and then cook the pancakes in the bacon grease.

Supermarket Buttermilk hasn't been traditional buttermilk since the late 80's. It's not the same byproduct of butter making like it was when the buttermilk recipe was invented. If you can get "real buttermilk" from a dairy then go for it; you'll know it's real because it will have yellow flecks of butter in it.

Most people mix milk with sour cream to get the same "fake" buttermilk found in supermarkets.

I'm guessing thats why has sour cream in it. That recipe also has 2 types of leveners (baking powder and soda).

Don't do that. Fat pancakes are not tasty. But if you really want to, add more yeast.

>too much liquid
>Just use less wet mix. That's it

This, the thicker your batter the thicker your pancakes

seems like a lot of fucking around when you could just cook your batter in these specially designed batter-cooking receptacles.

if it's too thick you'll end up making flour tortillas.

I usually do a ~1:0.9 ratio of flour to milk, but then I never make my pancakes that obscenely fat

It depends on the flour, but I like to cover pancakes so the steam helps it cook a bit faster before i flip it. Too many times I have eaten pancakes that are tasty 2 mm deep with mush in the middle.

Does anyone put brown sugar on top of one side so it can caramelize? I only do a patch of it or two as it seems to interfere with the cake browning.

Like... sodium metal? Yeah definitely do it.

Then it's just a fucking cake.
Pancakes are made in pans.
Like some kind of pan cake.

You can find some good recipes by searching for 'Scotch pancakes' or 'drop scones'

>Supermarket Buttermilk hasn't been traditional buttermilk since the late 80's. It's not the same byproduct of butter making like it was when the buttermilk recipe was invented.
That's why you buy this from the baking supplies aisle instead, if you aren't going to drink it straight.
finecooking.com/articles/bake-with-buttermilk.aspx
youtube.com/watch?v=WTmmTReqDtw

A fucking metal spatula on a teflon pan

Ruining the food, the pan, the spatula, your health and nature, all at once

>caring about pancakes

fuckin' why?

Dutch babies are where it's at.

So what I'm gleaning from the thread-
>Use buttermilk, egg whites, yeast, and baking powder in addition to pancake mix, preferably not something like Bisquik
>Cook/steam in pan in molds and make sure they're not gooey in the center
>Pour batter immediately after stirring to incorporation and nothing more

Am I missing anything? Wanna try them this morning, it's all snowy outside and I'm not sure if all the advice works together / applies at all alone

>in addition to pancake mix
why not just make it from scratch at that point....

use a mould

That's what I meant, I just mean the actual batter

youtu.be/2iWUUcW08ac