Do Americans really eat in roadside diners?

Do Americans really eat in roadside diners?

Roadside diners usually have great liver and onions

Not so much anymore. It was a bigger thing before plane tickets were affordable to most people. Now, there are fewer than there were 30 years ago.

Do Americans really drink in bars where everybody knows your name?

> Is it the '50s still?

OP.. c'mon, man..

It has more to do with the interstates, I think. Now the only places to stop if you're on a road trip are chain gas stations and chain fast food at easy-on, easy-off stops.

yes. they're either complete garbage or incredibly good.

Do Americans really hang out in coffee shops with friends?

Of course. Especially when they have full time jobs that pay for mid-town Manhattan apartments.

This is literally the most accurate representation of how every non-flyover American spends their days.

I have had some really good liver and onions at old fashioned diners. But why is this the case? Why are they so good at it?

When I come across one on a trip I try to chef them out. Most joints I pass are Waffle Houses.

Do Americans really drink White Russians in bowling alleys?

Quick turnaround times on orders means that they're unlikely to overcook the onions.

I've never even been to a bowling alley that serves liquor

Do American adults really eat children's breakfast cereal?

Do Americans really consume government subsidised high fructose corn syrup?

No. Stop watching NYC based sitcoms.

>implying it's over cooked onions that ruin liver and onions

Liver is a bitch to cook. They have lots of practice I guess. I can't cook liver for shit, which sucks because I love eating it.

What sort of liver is most commonly cooked in the US?

yes

Beef for liver and onions. Chicken liver is probably the most consumed liver by volume in the US though.

I've never even been to a bowling alley that didn't serve liquor.

>tfw no one (You)s your post the first time so you post it again

In the millions of barrels by volume, yes. How do you think you become the fattest nation to have ever existed on the planet?

The answer to all of these is "yes", though not as much as we used to. All of these things were more common during the late 70's - early 90's.

Roadside Diners used to be far more common until the increase in prevalence of national and regional chains, diverts caused by the construction of major international highways which took traffic away from local roads, and the rise of cheap domestic air travel.

Bars and Coffee shops where people would hang out with friends used to be much more common, but the availability of domestic alchohol and shifting cultural values meant more and more Americans took their drinking home with them. Star Bucks more or less killed the local coffee shop, though it takes a jab at being itself a replacement modern scheduling and work culture doesn't allow the time for it.

Diners are part of the culture in a few places- they are usually Greek owned. Diner culture is alibe and well in New Jersey, for example. In Massachusetts, its more about what they call a "greasy spoon" - a breakfast and lunch type place that is closed for dinner. They make all their $ on weekend breakfasts.

As for hanging out in bars and coffee shops where everyone knows your name, yes it's a thing. In small towns it's just the only place so everyone goes there. In big cities like NY, people have tiny apartments and instead consider their bar and their coffee shop to be their living room. They don't hang out at home- they hang out in their city.

Do Americans really eat?

I suspect we may never know for sure

roadside diners are kind of a northern east coast thing

around chicago, we have some roadside diners, but the iconic chicago restaurant is probably a place that serves italian beef, hot dogs/bratwurst, gyros, hamburgers, and chicken sandwiches

that or the disgusting meme-tier "pizza" soup

typical menu

portillos is a representative chain, but it's to chicago gyro places as denny's is to proper diners.