Best

Californian > Chilean > French > Italian

I'd have to go by region, but the one thing I do know is that California wins overall for beer.

california wine is really only drinkable in the $30+ range and most of it is way overpriced

so if you're rich, then you are entitled to your opinion, otherwise, you are objectively wrong. affordable california wine is vile

french, spanish, and italian are best bang for buck, tons and tons of good bottles between $10-20. chilean is ok too but there's too much garbage to sort through. but at least it's not as bad as aussie wine where it's literally all garbage, no exceptions inb4 muh grange, nope, haven't had it but it's probably shit

On what basis? California wine is expensive and is mostly single varietal stuff. Chilean wine I'm not super familiar with but again mostly single varietal stuff, never really sounds super interesting to me. Why are we putting them ahead of France and Italy?

>Local or homemade>Californian > Chilean > French > Italian

Wine from the Washington Columbia Valley is pretty good.

If I was going to be a farmer that is where I would do it. Plenty of water and sunshine. I had 7 foot plus tomato plants without with no problem. Just got to make sure your plants get water or they will be gone in a few days it is so dry there.

> is mostly single varietal stuff
It actually isn't, it's just that california wine drinkers are stupid and literally cannot process information correctly. So you end up with "peeno nwar" that's actually only 51% pinot noir, doesn't taste like pinot noir, but who cares? In America it is my freedom to be lied to!

Sure you get your rebellious mavericks like bonny doon winery where they actually tell you what's in there, but any time you hear a california wine drinker express a like or dislike for a grape, you can basically assume that they don't know what they're even saying.

Is that why Australians win all the awards?

is that like the wisconsin international cheese competition where all the entrants are from wisconsin?

Willamette Valley > California

>wine snobs

gtfo. yellowtail beats all your expensive, overpriced bitter shit

>yellowtail

I find baby duck red wine is a great bang for my buck

Yeah, Californian wine isn't really in my radar for the most part due to cost and availability but remembered hearing about Pinot Noir that's actually largely Syrah after posting that. Anyways making a blend and labeling it as a single varietal is definitely pretty gay

Yellowtail shill pls go and stay go

>hearing about Pinot Noir that's actually largely Syrah after posting that. Anyways making a blend and labeling it as a single varietal
is this legal!!??!!

>retard doesn't just buy grape juice and some rubbing alcohol

winefags still pay 10$+

get on that real cheap ship
$2.50 a bottle

bit of hyperbole but basically correct. california rules are some of the most relaxed in the world when it comes to grape variety vs. percent in the bottle. the reason for this is that in california, more than in most places, the name of the grape is the "brand", so to speak. the way wine was marketed and sold was very different from in europe where putting the name of a place told the consumer that it was made from grapes X, Y, and Z, in variable percentages according to the year, but always oaked in such-and-such a way, and the grapes would likely be particularly sweet because X, or bitter because Y, etc. europe has been drinking wine since ancient history so there was no need for explanation, it would be like explaining to a macdonalds customer that ketchup is over there and it's free. you see the region, you know what that is. you don't want it? you pick that other region because of its distinguishing characteristics that everyone knows and no one needs to point out.

california wine drinkers are different. they don't come pre-packaged with a set of unwritten rules, that is too much. this is not europe. the california wine man needs and wants simple. too many words confuse him. so simple is what he will got. consumers are targeted as "pink zin people", "cabernet people", "chardonnay people", etc. and research has found that these people are fanatically loyal to their "brand". a pinot noir drinker who normally buys a $20 bottle can be convinced to spend $40 if the message is right, but he WILL NOT be convinced to buy cabernet because he's a pinot noir man and he will only consider bottles that have the words "pinot" and "noir" on the label.

but when the brand becomes larger than its capacity to satisfy all who seek its image, what to do about the man who sees himself as a pinot noir man, but doesn't like pinot noir? well, you make a blend that satisfies his taste by adding 25% petite sirah. welcome to california.

I know you're meming but there people who think rubbing alcohol is the same as beer/wine/etc alchohol.

Argentinian > Italian > French > Californian > Chilean.

Not that Chilean wine is bad... on the contrary. But I feel like it's a bit too acid for my tastes.

Whats the best tasting box wine that is still a good value?

Hopefully they don't confuse the two when drinking
that could be dangerous!

Yes need info for research.

Australian wine is literally and unironically the best.

For just a late night beverage,

Spanish Rioja > All.

Don't @ me.

Well yeah. It's not like Chile, France or Italy are known as beer countries.

>Australian
Good banter

>Argentinian
hahahahahaha
Chilean is Best, fucking based wine, then France, then Italian, then Californian

Wine is gay and pretentious as fuck. I only ever use it for deglazing shit or making sangria. I'm basically forced to drink the shit every now and then when the gf and I visit a fancy restaurant but the whole time I'd much rather be drinking water

This guy knows what the fuck he's talking about

Oregon Pinot Noir > Everything

Oregon actually makes really good pinot noir and merlot.

It's quite subjective, but I like Argie wine. It's the perfect middle ground between too sweet and too sour for me.

Love Rioja! Such great tasting wines, the one I have currently is just a rich explosion of blackberry, quite amazing.

Really want to try PNW wines generally. Any reccs are welcomed.

For me, France is still top-tier... can't beat classic Bordeaux reds, Burgundian Chardonnay, and value Rhônes (which are my favourite). Other than that Argentinian wines are my favourite value wines. New Zealand is super great is you're looking for tropical fruit whites, same with South Africa if you want cheaper and underrated.

I opened this thread planning to do a this > this > this, but ended up rambling. To me, regions have their differences in flavours that I can't really rank, depends on what you're looking for.

Chilean? are you fucking retarded? You opinion is obviously not very popular given current pricing and consumption trends but it certainly is interesting. Chilean wine can be good but making a blanket statement like it is better than Italian and french wine seems rather shortsighted.

>Born and raised in Sonoma, Napa and Mendocino counties
>Everyone around me grows up to become a wine snob
>It's alright, I enjoy cooking with it more than drinking it. I prefer bourbon.
>I'm treated as a fucking pariah because I'm not a wino.

Best wine I ever had was from Moldova. Cheat as shit, because Moldova, but very tasty. I miss Chisinau.

I cant find a wine that taste good to me..? am i broke? Im like fuck this back to beer.

Seriously, sombody recomend a style of wine that a noob would enjoy.. and dont say mascotto . yuk

Merlot

why is this..?