Is high end cookware worth it?

I mostly use cast iron lodge cookware and debuyer carbon steel pans but I need to get a nice stock pot a couple of sauce pans and a good stainless skillet. I am fairly new to cooking but I want to get good at it.

I have looked at demeyere Atlantis and it seems to be the best. Is it worth it? $1500 for a stock pot two sauce pans and two skillets with lids.

I was looking at the De buyer primary stainless which is designed for commercial applications is this any good?

Is commercial cookware the way to go?

I would strongly prefer plain looking cookware. I prefer function over form.

I'm planning on buying cookware once and possibly adding pieces as needed I don't want to feel the need to upgrade later on.

I will be using this on a cheap coil stove and later on a gas unit.

What brands and lines are worth looking at? I prefer to have pieces made in a first world country.

Other urls found in this thread:

kijiji.ca/v-kitchen-dining/winnipeg/vintage-never-used-copper-pot-set/1233711487?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

user.

Literally go to walmart and buy a stockpot that will last you 50 years for 15 dollars.

All that matters with a stockpot is that it be narrow and large enough to suit your stock needs. Spending that much money on a stockpot isn't nessecary.

if you want to flush money down the toilet buy ruffoni

it's made by pure white people in the italian alps, so even though it basically performs about as well as rachel ray cookware from walmart, it will show off to all your friends that you have more money than common sense

Main thing you'll get with higher end cookware is actual insulation between the handle and the cooking surface.

That and it will stand up to abuse more.

That's an insane price.

all-clad exists.
Not highend not walmart chinese stainless.

This is a hobby for me and good quality equipment seems to make it all more enjoyable.

I guess what I'm after at the end of the day is the best price/performance ration.

I know thin pots burn shit and have poor characteristics from experience.

Is thicker better? Is there such a thing as too thick?

I just searched Ruffoni and wow.

That's some crazy shit right there.

It depends upon what purpose the vessel serves.

In a stockpot, where you'll mainly be boiling shit, the thickness isn't really important. However, in a saucepot or other specialized tools like that, your main concern isn't thickness so much as composition - you want the pot to distribute heat evenly.

>In a stockpot, where you'll mainly be boiling shit, the thickness isn't really important

don't listen to this guy unless all you ever eat is pasta, you use a stockpot for stews, and you'll be browning meat. you want a good performing stockpot. I made this mistake by listening to the memes, the memes are lies. the bottom and sidewalls of your stockpot are no less important than the bottom and sidewallls of a saute pan

>making stews in anything not made of cast iron

it's funny you should say that, the only reason I bought my french oven was because I got fucked over by the "buy a shitty stockpot" meme

but in retrospect I should have just got an all clad stockpot

So should I just get the thickest cookware I can afford/find?

There seems to be layers of conductive material sandwiched between layers of stainless on the bottom of decent cookware.

Is more layers better? What's the preferred material?

Or a slowcooker.

>So should I just get the thickest cookware I can afford/find?
all else being equal, but it rarely is
>There seems to be layers of conductive material sandwiched between layers of stainless on the bottom of decent cookware.
yeah that's for induction, you don't really need that. monometallic base with an inner steel lining is technically going to perform better
>Is more layers better?
not really, it just makes it more expensive
>What's the preferred material?
copper, then aluminum, then a huge ass gap in performance, then way down there you'll see carbon steel and iron. the vast majority of copper is crap though, the only modern copper worth buying is falk, bourgeat, duparquet, the m250 line from mauviel (and no other line from them), and soy turkiye

I'm so fucking glad my grandmother left me her entire copper collection.

Easily 15-20 assorted pieces. All from the 1970s or earlier.

kijiji.ca/v-kitchen-dining/winnipeg/vintage-never-used-copper-pot-set/1233711487?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Is this set any good for $350?

You sound like a working class chump. I bet you thought it would be a great "investment", how you would wake up to a warm, healthy breakfast to start off your long day. Maybe, you even had a couple thoughts about all the other nifty little uses you could find for the thing, how it would help you cook healthier meals in general, shed a couple pounds off the old gut, boost your confidence around work and with the ladies. Yeah, maybe that slow cooker would start your life cooking again, wouldn't it? I can see your strained hands holding the box and reading through it carefully at the store. A little bit pricey, but you're the type of guy who thinks everything is more than you can spend, aren't you. And look what happened to you. Look what the slow cooker did to you. Fucked you over, and made you clean it like a useless bitch. You don't even fucking like oatmeal. Piece of shit, you've been repeating those three words your whole life, haven't you. Yeah, how was work after that piece of shit fucked you over? I bet it was on your mind the whole day, you probably didn't say shit to nobody. Can't be telling people about your mistakes. How your little fix yourself plan, failed you. Don't want people to start thinking you're the failure. You're the piece of shit, all along. You don't want that do you? You don't want to be the piece of shit everybody secretly whispers about, do you? Was your father a piece of shit like you? I bet he never had a slow cooker. He had a woman, a house, a damn good job. I bet it's slow cooking you the fuck alive, isn't it. Comparing yourself to him. How one day when all the steam runs our of your life, you'll discover how you're nothing more than burnt shit to be scrapped off and thrown in the trash.

it's shit, do not buy

Would need to see it to tell for sure, If there are any brand markings that would help.

OP, gonna have to ask you: How expensive/good is your cooktop? Is it Viking/wolf range tier or are you using the sears roebuck apartment collection.

no, you can tell it's shit, probably a portugal set, for display (it would be possible to cook on but they will not perform any better than gas station cookware)

>wolf range
I actually have a wolf. It's breddy gud.

Parents bought it for me as a gift.

Shit coil apartment stove.

I just got out of a long term live in relationship and moved into a cheap bachelor apt.

When I buy a decent house later this year I will be purchasing a commercial gas range and stove.

OP, I think a le cruset style pot somewhere between 4-6qt is indispensible for frying and for browning roasts, and making some soups that you might simmer a while. The double duty of baking is nice.
For stock pot, there is a need to boil some noodles sometimes, so decide if 4 or 6qt is better for your other uses.
I don't use either of the above for stock. I use a pressure cooker, and finding a good one can be hard nowadays. They seem to be unpopular in the US and kind of hard to get of any quality at a decent price.

For a skillet, I have a flat one that has a lid which I love for everyday browning of chops or items I might to deglaze or go further in a one pot meal idea. The stainless is nice for acidic sauces, whether kraut or tomatoes. An alternative is something smaller or more wok or saucier shapes of various sizes. For either skillet, a glass lid isn't a bad idea. You can see when steam ends, eye ball some cooking without losing heat, such as for rice casseroles. A tight lid is also important here, so ignore any with holes.

Saucepans? Try to get some that nest, or might have interchangeable lids. All clad has nice bottoms but the lids are bleh. Take a look at Macy's sales with addtl coupons as well as closeouts, and also look at Marshalls if you don't need matchymatchy sets.

For all of this advice, I forgot to say if money is no object, consider that cleanup sucks for some things, and I find that they are absolutely required for some frying pans, as well as saucepans. I want to want to clean up, so if the surface doesn't add anything to my amazing final product, I'll go with nonstick. Just know that no matter which high end brand you buy, it won't be lifetime as nonstick, but you'll reach for that pan more often than you think,and find it worth the price.

Then buy that house/gas range first. It'll make shit pots/pans work better.

Pick related from modernist cuisine.
Thickness and hob size/pan ratio is most important in cooking.