Beef Jerky

I love beef jerky but it is expensive to purchase at stores, and would like to make my own.
Right now I am choosing which dehydrator to purchase, and I am probably gonna get this one.

amazon.com/gp/product/B008H2OELY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Would appreciate any form of beef jerky advice! It's going to be my first time making it.

Other urls found in this thread:

instructables.com/id/Box-Fan-Jerky/
shop.alaskasbestsalmonjerky.com/storefront.aspx
westpalmbeach.beefjerkyoutlet.com/index.php/salmon-jerky/smoked-salmon-jerky.html?options=cart
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump

instructables.com/id/Box-Fan-Jerky/

It's a better option than dehydrator's because there's no heating element in them and that ends up cooking the meat. This drys it naturally and it's how Alton Brown does it.

>it's how Alton Brown does it.
I thought he uses a box fan, furnace filters and bungee cord

Salmon jerky is infinitely better

Don't you have to heat the meat to 160 F to kill the bacteria?

How?

It's too bad we can only consume one or the other amirite

Health/ingredients, taste, and quality.

No you can consume both of course just realize salmon jerky is superior and if you disagree you should go play with sausages.

Is Salmon cheaper? I don't really see it much around my area. I am willing to try it! Should last longer since it has less fat if any.

I think it might be actually. It is pretty common here. I live on the west coast of Canada but you can easily find it in Washington/Oregon too I think. Not as common outside the west coast I think but you can always order some. I personally love the peppered and spicy versions.

Yea your area would be good for that, I live in South FL, we are far far away from Salmon lol.
They sell it online? I would like to try it.

Oh yeah definitely. You could probably find some on amazon.

None on Amazon.

shop.alaskasbestsalmonjerky.com/storefront.aspx

I've personally never tried this brand so I can't vouch for it but they do ship.

It's expensive as fuck. 16.99 for 1 ounce, no thanks.

Yeah I was actually really surprised by that. In Vancouver the Salmon jerky is cheap as fuck. 1 delicious long stick of jerky is like 90 cents. Other packs have like 12 strips for 5 or 6 bucks. I am guessing because it is shipped from Alaska it's that expensive but try to search around for something cheaper maybe try Seattle.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for sure. Should be interesting to try.

Maybe it would be better to make my own if I can ever find some Salmon at a good price.

Any ideas how I should season it?

Possibly. I don't know much about making salmon jerky but in terms of seasoning I think just pepper or teriyaki would be good. Teriyaki salmon jerky is really common around here and it tastes fucking good.

Fuck buying a dehydrator. You can just dry them in your oven no problemo.

Now, a smoker on the other hand, that's a whole nother ballpark.

Thanks sounds good, maybe I'll season it the same way I would beef jerky.

How would I do it in my shitty oven? Can't be as good as a dehydrator.
I need to check if I even have an oven anymore, might have thrown it out.

Dehydrator- and oven-prepared beef jerky is 100% indistinguishable. In the end, what you have are strips of dried meat. A dehydrator doesn't infuse it with any additional flavor, unlike a smoker, which will make your beef jerky into sex.

Oven jerky is easy as fucking pie. Hang your beef strips up on a tray like pic related (not my pic) and set the oven on a very low heat (20 degrees celcius or so) and leave them in there for 4 hours. Assuming of course you've marinated the strips beforehand. Bada bing, oven jerky.

Honestly, you're gonna be blowing enough dough on the beef alone, buying a dehydrator is just a waste of money.

I go to this place often for all different jerkys

Salmon price isnt bad
3oz for 12.99
6oz for 17.99

westpalmbeach.beefjerkyoutlet.com/index.php/salmon-jerky/smoked-salmon-jerky.html?options=cart

Only issue is that my normal stove oven is full of pans and shit, and my regular small stove can't hang them like that.

What does the fan on the dehydrator do?

Anyways I would do it if I could.

Still somewhat expensive. Better off making my own man.

20 degrees celcius is room temperature

4 hours in the oven is a long time. Set the temperature too high and you'll end up cooking them before you dehydrate them. That's why you set the temperature low.

Yeah i know its not cheap. Their beef jerkys is cheaper 9.99 for 4 ounces. All different flavors.

That is quite expensive as well. I hate that all these companies over charge for jerky. Same reason why I want to make my own.

Lol 20 C is 68 F, that is cold to the touch. It has to be 160-175 F.

What I have available is a toaster oven actually. That can't really fit much jerky at all, it's very very small. I think a dehydrator is my best option right now.

You're a retard. Ovens don't even do 20 degrees because that's literally colder than it would be in the kitchen itself.

I dunno your shitty metric system. Sounded reasonable. I dunno, 40 degrees then.

Why the fuck would you even use Celsius if you don't know how, and there's no reason to think OP isn't American? Also discarded your post because clearly you're willing to give your opinion even when you don't know what you're talking about.

I assumed the OP was british for some reason. Relax, faggot. Cooking isn't something carved in fucking stone. Especially not when it comes to fucking beef jerky, like the simplest god damn thing to make in the world. It's not rocket science. Put your oven on a low temperature and dry the meat in it. If you can't figure out how to operate an oven you shouldn't even be in the kitchen in the first place.

You americans are so fucking stupid, honestly.

Reasons OP is American:
>he uses amazon.com, in England we use amazon.co.uk
>we don't even eat beef jerky in England

Reasons to think OP is British:
>???

Boy, you sure are mad.

She also said she lived in Florida

sausages are delicious wtf..........

Fellow vancouverite, where do you get your jerky?

>she
Wat?

Yeah, my girlfriend dumped me today. At least I can take solace in the fact that Trump supporters like you have destroyed your own fucking country, and you're on the road to obscurity.

Sorry life handed you a bag of shit, user, and I'm not about to start having a political debate with you, but you'll get over it. You should find perhaps more productive methods to vent your anger, though, but I'm sure you don't care about my opinion. Best of luck to you, chump.

All men know how to make beef jerky plus they don't have to double check to see if they have a functional oven.

I had to make sure if I even had one you huge faggot. I do in fact have one, but it's a toaster oven, basically useless.

I do know how to make jerky anyways.

Face it bro, you act type like a girl.

A dehydrator? What about your oven?

No my nigga.

My regular oven is fucking full of pans and shit and my toaster oven is way to fucking small.

Granville Island is great when I have a chance. Urban Fare has some pretty good stuff as well, Whole Foods too although I barely ever shop at whole foods. You?

She keeps all her things in the oven and mommy would be mad if she used the oven for 4 hours.

>tfw your husband pawns household appliances and you have to frequently check to see if you can cook/do laundry that week

Fuck off dude, really.

>My regular oven is fucking full of pans and shit
why
my apt is tiny and i still don't do this

Dunno. My family just does that, it's more of a culture thing I guess.

and which culture would that be

Hispanic

My guess is that she has to go back

>She
Okay

chinese and any other culture that doesn't rely on ovens for cooking

does this mean kitchens in china don't have ovens?

Typical smallish home kitchens don't have ovens. Maybe a tiny toaster oven for heating up bread and pastries. Pretty much all home cooking is done on stovetop. And besides that, home cooking is pretty rare since kitchens are fucking tiny and eating out is dirt cheap and convenient.

They usually have to check to see if they have one

Marinate a flank steak, cut into strips according to the size you want, then set on foil in the sun. The sun both cooks and dehydrates it. After about 2 days it will be fine. Same process as a food dehydrator.

There is high humidity here and the weather is all of the place. There is also plenty of bugs.
Not a good idea at all!