Japanese suntori whiskey is a meme or a real deal?

Japanese suntori whiskey is a meme or a real deal?

Other urls found in this thread:

canadiandutycalculator.ca/index.php
youtu.be/UF3bRXDMXdU?t=3s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anything over $40 a bottle is a meme

Japanese whiskey in general is the real deal.

Now that we've heard from the broke ass niggers, anyone with a job care to weigh in?

CUTTO CUTTO CUTTO CUTTO

I was thinking about getting a bottle sent over here but eh. I've got a hobo's sense of taste when it comes to booze so most fine spirits go over my head

>being this delusional
I know you desperately want to believe that you didn't waste money on your expensive whiskey but it's true. Alcohol is alcohol. Yeah, the really cheap stuff will taste like shit, but once you hit like $40-$50 a bottle, you're paying the maximum you can for any actual care or time that went into distilling it. Anything more than that and you're paying for exclusivity and brand recognition. Same way with wine. The $20 wine I buy at the store tastes exactly the same if not better than some faggy $300 bottle.

>t. someone who makes $250,000 a year as a harbor pilot
I live in a 5000 sq ft home and drive a Mercedes. I would never, ever, ever spend more than $60-$80 on a bottle of booze and that's only if I'm giving it as a gift. When guests come over, I just serve them wine/spirits out of a decanter and they all pretend like they're drinking Pappy Van Winkle when really it's just Wild Turkey.

There's a reason Japanese whiskey wins awards. It's because it's delicious. Granted I've never spent more than $60 on Japanese stuff and it wasn't Suntory, it was well worth the price.

I have a great job. I'm just not stupid enough to think that a bottle of alcohol is worth more than $40. It's not. There are lots of great bottles to get for $40 or less, but to you they are junk because they don't meet your "minimum price." It's a joke. The only reason anything costs that much is because they know dumb fucks like you are retarded enough to buy it.

t. retard that has no idea what hes talking about

I don't even drink, thanks for getting so triggered though, dumbass. Have fun driving to your pretend job in your imaginary Mercedes.

>Now that we've heard from the broke ass niggers, anyone with a job care to weigh in?
it's for weeaboos. Pour enough money into any company and you might duplicate or create something of quality. Why you'd pay to import it is beyond me. I has won taste tests as "best japanese ___", the nature of which is speculatively not impartial when there is no competition. When it comes to whisky, it's about preference outside of aging.
You pick whatever balance of flavors you want. If you are a newb drinker, you might enjoy taking it easy on peat and smoke, and go irish. The older drinker doesn't mind it, and even craves it. Smoothness on the tongue can happen from sweetness or longer aging both, do you want that price? or that adulteration?

There's a massive difference in taste between sub-$40 scotch whisky, and bottles above $40. This applies to most whiskys.

Wine is a good example of paying much more than $10-12 is a waste of money, since while the quality improves, the difference is negligible to the average wine drinker

You two don't know shit and I know for a fact you don't make any money, because those are the comments of a retard.

Just by the by, harbour pilots don't make that much.

t. ex-3rd engineer who used to shit all over pilots like you before finding a real job ashore.

op here, the liquor store near me has several suntories for $40-$60. No need to import. What's so special about Japanese whisky?

It's really just something exotic.

the floral scent of hibiki can really throw you off and give it the halo effect.

I usually save it for gifting, while I drink Jameson at home.

I'm an engineer as well. Money isn't an issue. I have no problem spending cash on something actually worth the money, like a good steak. But alcohol isn't worth it. You keep telling yourself there's a huge difference, because you have to in order to justify throwing that much money away on a bottle of whiskey. You have probably tried a few really cheap shitty bottles and hated them, tried someone's really expensive bottle, and decided only really expensive shit tastes good. You never even really explored anything in the $40 range. I bet you don't even let yourself have more than 2 drinks a night because you know you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between your bottle and one that cost a fraction of the price on your third drink. You probably also drink alone, because no one else could possibly appreciate your liquor, so it's not worth sharing. What a sad life you must live...

>harbor pilots don't make that much
Yes they do? $250k isn't even that much, all things considered. The guys in Oakland and shit can easily make like $400,000 a year. And I'm not going to take shit from a fucking 3rd eng probably straight from the academy, you don't know shit.
t. dumbass who bought into marketing hype and doesn't want to believe he wasted his money

What is your go to liquor? Just curious.

It's made very well and competitive with plenty of actual scotch brands

Was given a bottle of suntori by my asshole boss. He likes waving his money in our faces. I get paid well and i would never by something like this for myself. I am a well paid nurse, who works in plastic surgery. Just dont like throwing my money away.

>Was given a bottle of suntori by my asshole boss.
Wew I wish my boss was that much of an asshole!

I buy a case every 6 months or so

kek I was waiting for this response.

Classic inferiority complex kicking in navigators.

Let me give you a quick rundown. You work a dead-end job because you can't do anything else, well, except maybe sail a ferry. That's what you're gonna do for the rest of your life. Let that sink in for a moment.

You job consists of arriving on a ship, telling a steersman whether to turn 10 degrees to port, or starboard. You come aboard and they give you some coffee, maybe some food. The ship doesn't need you, but local maritime regulations require you to be there, and this eats you up inside. The captain still has responsibility for the ship, and doesn't even need you there.

Then, when it's time for you to leave the vessel, maybe, just maybe, you hope you fall in the water between the ship and the pilot boat, because that'll be the most exciting thing that's happened to you all year. Then you can tell your colleagues what happened and they can all oooh and ahh.

Oh, also, I'm a navigator, but decided it was too fucking boring, so I took up marine engineering. I have a world of jobs available to me, while you're stuck with maybe three different paths you can take.

Ferry captain, pilot, and working for a maritime authority.

KEK navigators, never change. So glad I got out of the marine industry.

You have no idea what its like working for a plastic surgeon.
He gave it to me and reminds me of it constantly. He does thing soley to feel superior. He shares stories of his terrible japanese vacays. He makes sexual remarks about every woman we see. He thinks we are friends and i want to hit him with a dump truck.

He sounds like a ghostbusters Rick Moranis type...

Mix that with cousin eddy from vacation, with a hefty dose of bill lumberg from office space and you got it.

I prefer to drink $9.00 Evan Williams over any whiskey. Fight me.

I tried this Japanese shit (OP's pic, Yamazaki, and Hakushu). It's not bad. But I still don't prefer it to Evan Williams. The novelty is mildly interesting, too, and I like the bottles themselves.

eh, I hear it's good stuff but way overpriced.

No point in fighting over limited supplies of meme whiskey.

$40 is already "ultra-premium" territory.

had some a few nights ago
well worth it

$40 is the average price for a bottle of spirits here in Australia.

>The ship doesn't need you
You're talking out of your fucking ass, dipshit. Most of the ships I pilot are filled with chinks and Flips. Those retards can barely tell their left foot from their right, if it weren't for pilots you'd have a major oil spill or disaster every other week like they do in the third world. Pilotage isn't a dead end job, I just told you I make about $250,000 a year. Being a pilot is about as good as it can get in terms of maritime careers. Engineers are basically worthless parasites that live in the basement all day. Actually, scratch that, they sit on their ass in the mess hall all day since nowadays the only person down in engineering is some poor oiler to watch the gauges and make sure they don't hit the red, and to call the engineer who SHOULD be on watch if something happens.

I also don't even think you're actually in the industry because nobody calls mates "navigators." What's the matter, academy wouldn't take you? :(

A 60$ bottle of Canadian whiskey.

$47 at my local liquor store for a single bottle. I get it for less because I buy by the case. It was only $35 a bottle when I first started drinking it. Also I'm Canadian, and I like Canadian whiskey.

is beer expensive as well?

Their country is on par with the Irish as having a drinking problem. I don't think so.

Right, so you criticize someone buying liquor over 40$ a bottle, but do it yourself. Even with a case discount it will still be over 40 a bottle.

A pint at the bar is usually 5 bucks and a glass bottle of beer is about the same, 24 packs are usually like 50 buck.

Beer isn't too expensive but spirits are pricey as fuck to keep the boongs from buying it and killing themselves with it, nowadays the boongs drink methylated spirits since they can't afford real booze

Considering it's $47 Canadian, and the cheapest bottle we can get up here is still over $20, yes. I wouldn't pay over $40 a bottle. I would buy something else. I would buy a $6000 bottle if it was on sale for $40 or less, because it cost me $40 or less. I paid $40 or less, so it is a bottle that cost $40 or less. Is that a difficult thing to understand?

>I drink Jameson at home.
same.
Once upon a time, when Irish figured out the roman bath style of toasting groats without needing to get peat and smoke flavors into it, it was finest around. Now everyone acts like single malt is somehow tastier, or more smoke is better, or that peaty is yummy. Both are taints. Sherry casks have been charred so long that irish whiskey can be really good at 10 years, not another ten years later. To each their own of course, but don't assume that price or advertising or even "awards" are the end all be all. It's preference.

Oh, and you're right. It works out to $42.43 with tax and deposit per bottle. So if you want to be a nitpick and call me a hypocrite over tax and deposit, go right ahead. doesnt change the fact that I pay $480cdn for a case of 12 before tax and deposit...

>You have no idea what its like working for a plastic surgeon.
He has a personality disorder. Be sure. Not saying to pity him, but if it helps you to understand him, there ya go.

yo thanks for this thread OP, I was wondering the same thing a bit ago.

But most people don't buy cases of booze, and we're talking about single bottle stuff, not case price. You are a hypocrite since you buy an almost 50$ bottle of whiskey.

Yeah I saw a 750ml bottle of that shit at Costco the other day and thought, "hmm, maybe I'll give that a try for once..." the I say the $60+ price tag and said fuck it.

But I don't pay almost $50. If I couldn't get it for less, I would buy something else. No matter how much faggotry you come up with, it doesn't change the fact that I'm not paying that much. If I see something interesting on sale, I will buy it if it's in my price range. I often check the liquor store because they sometimes have my whiskey on sale for $35. So once again, I will not pay over $40 for a bottle of liquor.

And even if I did buy something for $50, it's still not even remotely close to these faggots who think a good bottle of scotch starts at over $100us

I bought that once on a weeb binge and honestly wish I had just saved the money up for a better whisky.

You did the math yourself. Even with the case discount you're paying over 40. I'm not coming up with anything, you're just an idiot who posted a 50$ bottle of booze while complaining about someone else buying a 50$ bottle of booze.

What volume bottle?
$40 a pint? a fifth? a handle?

>be me
>go to liquor store
>offer to buy a case for $40 per bottle to manager
>manager agrees
>leave with case

Satisfied? Or does only the sensation of a large black cock in your ass satisfy the depths of your faggotry?

750ml or roughly 26oz

I bought a bottle the other day spur of the moment and got buyer's remorse as soon as I drank it. It's not bad, but not great either. Fairly young and could've used more aging. Def not worth the $60+ that I paid... more marketing than substance. I'd be just as happy with some Buffalo Trace or Four Roses Small Batch.

Let me try to explain it like this; a bottle of pappy van winkle is not a meme. Paying $80 for a bottle of pappy van winkle is a meme. It's good. It's actually fantastic. But it isn't worth $80 for a bottle.

Japanese Scotch is fucking garbage. Just drink cognac.

And here comes the cock worshipping.
Dude you're a hypocrite. Get over it. You did the math yourself.
Also, a bottle of Yamazaki 12 is the same price as wisers 18 in my area. I can't imagine you getting it cheaper than me, while in canada.

>Japanese scotch

Heh, yeah man I hate Canadian bourbon

I don't have anything of value to contribute to the conversation, but I'll say this: the bottle is pretty cool.

>can't imagine getting Canadian whiskey cheaper in Canada

How fucking retarded are you? Honestly? I bet your mom never paid more than $10 a bottle when she was pregnant with you. Once again, what the bottle is doesn't matter. How much you pay matters. I have never bought a bottle of weisers for more than $40 plus tax and deposit. i have never bought any liquor for over $40. I have tried lots, and nothing was so oh my god fantastic that I had to have it at any cost. Would you like to continue spouting your retarded logic? Does it make you feel better for schilling out your parents hard earned cash for booze that isn't worth half of what you paid for it?

>what are taxes
Also see Your shit being made in canada doesn't somehow make the taxes on it lower. A 6 pack of stone ipa is more expensive in California than in minnesota due to taxes, yet it's made in california.
I don't understand why you're so mad that I'm calling you out for buying overpriced whiskey (according to you).

>itt

Poorfags who pretend they are rich

I'm not sure what your American taxes have to do with the taxes I pay here in Alberta. That's in Canada by the way. If you want to check it out for yourself, just find USA and then move your finger north. North is up btw. I'm not sure why the concept of me paying $40 for a bottle of liquor makes me a hypocrite just because you can't get the same bottle for $40. So I can only drink liquors that are only available everywhere in the world for $40 or less or I'm a hypocrite? Is that what you're implying here?

You're a hypocrite because you're paying OVER 40$ for your booze. 42$ per bottle at case price is more than 40$. Not sure why this is so hard for you to understand. Also, here's a calculator for you canadiandutycalculator.ca/index.php
You're paying 45$ after tax for a "35$" bottle of 40% whiskey.

>hurt you're a hypocrite because you don't include tax and deposit in the price you are willing to pay

Someone could be sucking another mans cock while reading your post and they would remove the cock from their mouth just to audiably call you a faggot...

I just did this. Holy shit what a faggot.

Kek I used your shitty sale price as the cost. Not even the 45$ the bottle normally is. When taxes are that high, yeah you should include them. I can say I bought a 6 pack for 8$ because 7.99 is maybe 9$ after tax here. Not fucking 20$ you retard.

this is you, isn't it?

youtu.be/UF3bRXDMXdU?t=3s

Also, what is up with you and cocks, dude? It's fucking weird.

Whatever you say champ.

>I got called out on Veeky Forums and lost, the post
That was fun. Goodnight.

Your life makes me sad... I will have a drink in your honour.

Just go to an upscale bar/restaurant and they'll probably have at least one of them. Try it for like 14 dollars and then if, like me you aren't impressed, you save money and get that checked off the "list".

It was similar enough to an irish whisky that I couldn't justify the 20 dollar markup.

Do people drink Yellow Spot?

Hibiki and other NAS JPN whiskies are massively overpriced thanks to Jim Murray.
If you get a chance try Nikka from the barrel or some of the higher end Yoichi's and Yamazakis.
>t. pleb with no experience with craft liquor
Wew

We don't have many craft liquors in Alberta. Even if we did, it doesn't mean I'm going to support someone charging 3 times what their booze is worth just because they can only make limited quantities.

Oh i know he does. I am married to a mental health pro. Plus i did a rotation in that field. I am a surgical nurse with a bad back. I had to work for whoever would take me. I should not complain to much. It is just hard working for such a person. Drinking that jap whiskey now.

>craft liquor
>some guy with no experience
>4 month old whiskey
>$129.99 a bottle
kek

The Japanese Harmony one in the pic is a meme, but the other Hibiki are legit.

>buying NAS whisky that isn't open in its age
>ever
Not my fault that your retarded.

I'm really bad with expensive whisky, not because of my personal tastes or anything, but because I'll buy a bottle and never drink it because I don't want to "waste" it.

I drink to get drunk. I'm not some jew lover who buys overpriced schwill so I can tell myself I'm better than other people while I cuddle my anime body pillow and cum in my fedora.

>tfw in western australia aka once-upon-a-time-boomtown-for-people-who-spend-their-money-in-melbourne-or-bali and pints still cost $10

I got a bottle of the Hibiki 12 a few years ago back when it was £35 a bottle. Still got about a quarter left. I think it is very nice, if a little generic. I remember thinking I would pick up another bottle when I saw it on offer as it was a bit expensive. Bottle is gorgeous and will be kept once the whisky is finished.

However now that the prices have become frankly stupid and it has been replaced with a no age statement version, it just isn't worth it. Granted I haven't tried the NAS one but I bet it isn't as good as the 12 was. When you look at what scotch you can buy for the price of the Japanese stuff, it just isn't comparable which is a real shame.

Short version - it is good, but way overpriced.

everything japanese is a meme. japanese people are memes, japanese culture is memes, japan itself is a meme

>not even sure if japan is really a country

>Sherry casks
Plenty of scotches now use sherry casks as well. They're breddy gud.

For relaxing times...

CLOSE MY EYES
FEEL ME OUT

It's called Nippon so no, Japan isn't a country.

So calling them nips isn't actually racist?

LIP MY STOCKING
LIP MY STOCKING

Japanese whiskeys are very smooth and clean. If they are peated then it's usually subtle and complementary to the overall flavour. They are probably better than Bourbons overall.

How big is your anime/manga collection?

How many of your cousins have you fucked?

But now that we've heard from the poorfags and armchair connoisseurs, allow someone who actually possesses and consumes the stuff to speak:

It's good. It's smoother than most whiskeys on the market. It's true some people buy it because they're weebs and think anything from Japan is GOAT, but it is actually fantastic stuff. Not the best whiskey I've ever had, but for $40-$80 a bottle, it's about right. Okay, you poorfags can continue your squabble on how generic Jack is the superior whiskey.

Forgot pic

>ashamed fat weeb virgin detected
Nice laminate wood computer desk "richfag"

Self-hating weebs are the funniest kind of weebs
I don't think it's so much that as it is the whisky community's aching desire for something special and different in an otherwise fairly boring, repetitive, suffocating small pond. You can only put out so many iterations of peat-smoke-in-bourbon-casks, peat-smoke-in-sherry-casks, peat-smoke-in-port-casks, x10, x12, x15, x18 years, cask strength, standard strength, chill filtered yadda yadda before you ask yourself: is this all there is?

The thing is people who get really deep into whisky tend to do so because they feel some kind of stigma against trying stuff that doesn't fit a narrow definition of manly/classy. So despite their natural human instinct to try other stuff, they are afraid to branch out. The sudden rush of interest in Japanese whisky is just a socially acceptable outlet for an instinct that could otherwise lead to trying and liking stuff that's "for fags". Such as alcoholic beverages that are not brown and made from a small number of socially dictated grains.

I used to really like Japanese whisky but that was back when you could get say a Yoichi 15 for like a hundred twenty or so. Nowadays that gets you maybe a 750 of Yamazaki 12, so it's like... why even bother anymore. It's good but it's not THAT good.

tl;dr Japanese whisky is the Fogo de Chao of whisky. It provides a "safe" outlet for repressed people who want to try something exotic, but not ACTUALLY exotic just the appearance of being exotic.

I've had $170 scotch that wasn't as good as $20 rum.

Same volume, but the scotch was awful despite its price.

Evan Williams is the second best Bourbon I've had, only to Jim Beam white.