Beans: Types and Tastes

I made an awesome crock pot fulla beans today. I used pinto, black eyed peas, navy beans and great northern beans.

I soaked them in a special stock for a few hours, then put them into the crock pot early this morning along with garlic, chili flakes, brown sugar and sea salt.

After that I added sausage, tons of ham and chicken thighs and left it alone for about 6 hours.

It turned out really good, there's heat from the chili, sweet from the sugar and it really goes well with the meats.

What type of beans are your favorite? Ever mixed beans? Damn black beans, think they're so much bigger than white beans.

Did you sort them to take out the gravels?

I recently got a bunch of kidney beans from a friend... Any ideas as to what I can do with them?

pumpkin bean soup

slow cookers don't get them hot enough. use a pressure cooker.

Garbanzo.

I noticed that mixing several sorts of beans is better than using just one. Also true with lentils.

Any dirt and gravel gets washed off when I'm soaking them usually, gritty beans are horrid. As for using a pressure cooker, I don't have one, the crock pot works great and is old, probably older than me (30,it was my grandma's).

I was tempted to make cornbread but I've made good progress on losing weight and I don't need to be taking steps back.

I also made a big bowl of beans.
Tastes better than it looks.

>Any dirt and gravel gets washed off when I'm soaking them usually,

You're playing a dangerous game. I find rocks like this all the time in my beans. Biting down on one of these will crack a tooth.

Hmmm,sobering words from a fellow bean fancier... I'll make sure to check them more thoroughly from now on, thank you for your advice.

do you live in a third world country?

take a white plate, and pour a handful of beans onto the plate and check for rocks that way.
>do you live in a third world country?
Every package of dried beans tells you to carefully sort for rocks. There's no avoiding rocks, beans are sorted mechanically and some rocks slip through.

this is true. I cook a lot of beans.

You should always sort through your beans before adding water to check for stones or dirt clods.

I always disliked the word "sort" for this. It makes it seem more bothersome than it is.
I just pour the beans over my hand while watching for anything different, it adds all of 30 seconds.

I made a cassoulet last week. It was delicious.
I'll be doing red bean and rice tomorrow.

I use beans for chili

any other bean then a green bean is a shit bean

What's the special stock?

I wanna get into trying more types of beans and bean dishes. I cook this recipe weekly it's by gordon ramsay but I use cannellini beans and it's one of my favorite things to eat. the recipes on youtube

Do you guys outside the UK have butter beans?
I mean, they're lima beans, but they're allowed to grow huge and they become softer and more floury than other beans. I love them, they add so much substance to a dish.

You watch your mouth there sir,clearly you haven't tried many beans in your day.

It's the same stock I used for the last two batches of crock pot beans I made. The flavor it imparts is really great.

All I know is that beans belong in chili

Do you cook the beans in the same stock you soak them in?

Well that's swell brad but what is it? Like recipe and shiiiit

A

SHIT

BEAN

Yup, clapper here and I love butter beans as well.
It's funny you call them floury, because I just met somebody the other day who makes his own flour from dry beans. He specifically mentioned using butter beans to make sugar-wafer type cookies.

This time I did, first time trying it that way and the results were decent. Next time I think I'm going to wash the beans first, then soak them though, rather than combining the soak and wash into one step.