Rice General

Do you wash your rice before your prepare it? Why or why not?

How do you prepare your rice?

Do you have a favorite brand of rice?

U N E N R I C H E D

>Do you wash your rice before your prepare it? Why or why not?
I always wash my rice, it doesnt take particularly long.
>How do you prepare your rice?
Zojirushi
>Do you have a favorite brand of rice?
No real favorite, there is a Korean grocery store about 2 miles away and they have some nicer rice brands for $15-25 for 15-20lbs of good quality short, medium, long, brown, etc rice.
I have been getting Sekka Extra Fancy medium grain for awhile since it's cheap and good after a rinse.

I eat a lot of basmati rice. Can't even remember the brand but it's the stuff that comes in a big canvas sack with a picture of Mt. Everest on it or something.

I use a 1:1 or 2:3 ratio of rice to water, depending on how much I'm making. Rinse the rice quickly before making it, then dump it into vigorously boiling water, stir for a few seconds, then lower to a simmer and cover. Let it simmer for 15-18 minutes (again, depending on how much you're making). Remove from heat and leave covered for 5 minutes. Remove cover, flake with a fork.

It's fuckin delicious, easily the best type of rice to use when you're eating just plain rice as a side or whatever. It's also really good to add a tablespoon of white sugar and a tablespoon of rice vinegar to make a sticky almost "Japanese" style rice.

i buy a 25 lb bag of cal-rose from costco. i think i'm going to switch when i'm done with this bag, though.

i wash it some times. if i wash it, i do 1:1 by volume. if i don't then it's 1:1 plus a half cup or so of water. i usually add a little salt or soy sauce to water.

i cook 4 cups (dry) at a time in a big dutch oven. then portion it out. it makes a week's worth of food.

>General

A Korean lady told me to wash the rice three times and only three times and it will always come out good, so I did it and never looked back

I have washed my rice more than 3 times, but after that it's really not doing much of anything.

>Do you wash your rice before your prepare it? Why or why not?
Yes, because my rice is so cheap that I don't trust it and the packaging also tells me to do so.

I've learned how to boil and eyeball it. The only issue I have is that crispy rice always sticks to the bottom of the pan, I've got no idea how to fix this. Any help Veeky Forums?

Cheap, white.

>>How do you prepare your rice?
>I've learned how to boil and eyeball it.
I should've said 1.5:1 ratio of water:rice. Usually no extra salt or seasoning.

Do you wash the rice for cleanliness or flavor? I've always washed my rice, but just because that's what I was taught to do and never really thought about it

It will tend to cause crusty bits in the rice especially in a rice cooker.

hello, me

I don't wash it, I like it starchy. But not too much, so I pan-fry it just a bit before pouring in the water. 2:1 water:rice, low heat, until all water is gone. No favorite brand or type, I can't really tell them apart.

>sticky bottoms
Turn heat down once you can't see any water, and stir it occasionally.

What? This ain't a risotto.

He just needs to turn down his heat is all. You don't need to stir plain rice at all and it comes out better when you don't.

>shit's sticking to the bottom
>better not stir it to prevent the things in contact with the bottom from touching it too long and thus sticking to it
???

UR GANNA MASH UP THE RICE INTO MASHED RICE

Got a rice cooked last week. It's pretty damn good. I wash my rice before cooking it until the water coming off is clearish

>gently scraping a wooden or silicone utensil along the bottom of the pot once or twicr
>taking a fork to it for 20 min and turning it into a fine paste
You're allowed to only pick one user

I've got one issue with my rice - when I season it, store some of it in the fridge, and reheat it later, I can no longer taste the seasoning. Why is this? How can I fix it?

What are the main types of rice consumed per country/culture? I mean japanese use short grain rice mainly (AFAIK) but what about koreans chinese, cantonese etc

Turn heat down try using butter or margarine

I cook a giant pot at the start of every week. I get hungry around 10 pm so I will often eat a bowl of rice with an egg or two on it before bed

Huge fan of omelettes. Cold cuts are great but even just cheese is good to go.

Japanese and Korean use short grain, sea I think use long, Chinese idk

No
No
No

Short grain is starting to be trendy in China mainly because "muh Koreans eat it" but many still eat long grain.

I wash the rice sometimes, usually just to see that all the rice is wet and the water is a little less cloudy. I recently tried using a much bigger rice cooker, and I noticed it was spluttering and making a mess as the rice was boiling.

Ive got a cheap Black and Decker rice cooker, and it always ends up with a crusty layer of rice at the bottom. What am I doing wrong?

Yes, partially because that's how I was taught, partially because I just want to.

After washing, let it soak in water for a while until the grains are all white. Dump it all into nipponese rice cooker, although sometimes I just let it soak in there as well. Bring water level up to about half an inch above the rice and start cooking.

No favourite brand, just whatever nip or gook stuff is cheap but still looks trustworthy at the grocer. I think the stuff around here is all grown in California anyway.

Not washing your rice

I always wash it out 3 times.

Wash it until it's no longer cloudy, cruncyness is almost always too much starch in your water.

I give it one rinse just to eliminate the floaters.

Try using more water

>wash rice
>put rice in cooking pan
>salt, pepper, some bay leafs
>add water and cook till rice absorbed it all
>rest for 15 min
>take bay leafs out
>fluff it
>walk the dinosaur

Washing more might help slightly, but I think that is generally unavoidable with a cheaper rice cooker. Just cook slightly more rice than you actually want to eat or get a better rice cooker.

I hope you're freezing the rice for day 2-7. Even though I've had 2-3 day old rice without any problems, it doesn't taste fresh after a certain point and is apparently dangerous.

>Turn heat down try using butter or margarine

When do you add the butter and how much?

I usually rinse the rice several times, bring it to the boil, once it reaches boil drain the rice and re-fill with fresh water again and bring that to a simmer, then let it stand until it absorbs all the water.

>I hope you're freezing the rice for day 2-7.
>freezing rice
You can do that?

Holy shit, like is their a guide for what food you can freeze and when? I'd save so much time if I could cook for the week and microwave my entire meal in a single container rather than having to microwave so much shit separately.

Ive put butter in the water and eyed it

Are you me? Are we rice soulmates?

>wash your rice before your prepare it
I've never done that what does it change ?

Removes the starchyness.

Washing rice has always been fairly important, but I find it even more important if you're buying super cheap generic rice as it's got tons of starch on it.

Yes rinse ~3 times to make the rice more chewy and less starchy. Unless you want to make a risotto or something.

Zojirushi.

I like premium Thai long grain. Basmati occasionally is nice and short grain for cooking rice porridge, Japanese style.

Basmati or Long Grain?

Anything is better than long grain at least in my opinion

Fuck you.

Basmati is a long grain rice.

No Fuck you
You know what I mean

I place cooked white rice in sandwich bags and reheat them in a microwave in a bowl for like 2 minutes for fresh steamed rice.

I don't wash it since I make sticky rice dishes for white rice and want vitamin retention for whole rices & white rice. If I'm doing a fried rice, I wash it until the water is clear.

I bring the water to a boil with the rice in it. As soon as it is roiling, I put it into a thermal cooker I made and set the timer for about 40 minutes. No need for a rice cooker, no need to stand around, and it never ever sticks. For sticky rice I use 3:1 ratio of cups of water to cup of white rice.

For reheating, I use my bamboo steamer.

Lundberg for everything that isn't white rice. For white rice, I just get whatever brand there is at the store that is in the 20lbs bag and that is almost always a short rice.

>pic related, still in the thermal cooker.

For Jasmin or Bismati rice.

1. Weigh rice by grams ( 400g for me, which gives me multiple servings)
2. Wash rice in strainer under sink with cold water and toss in pot.
3. Add 1.5 times the weight of rice in ml of water to pot and cover. (400g x 1.5 = 600 ML of cold water)
4. Bring to a boil.
5. Once at a boil, turn heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Turn off heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
7. Uncover, fluff, and serve. Works like a charm.

How is "wash the rice 3 times" distinct from "wash it for a long time"?

The idea is to remove all the starch that clings to rice after it has been polished to being white rice. Washing in 3 changes of water helps ensure no recontamination. If you are using a fine sieve and hosing it down using a sprayer then wash it until the water is relatively clear.

so i just put my rice in cold water for 2 minutes and then it's good or is there anything special i should do ?

Reading this thread made me realize most of you are so incompetent you can't even cook RICE.

This is a cooking board, what is wrong with all of you?

t. functioning adult

This is how I do it with the large thermal cooker.

When I wash rice I use the sprayer attachment on the sink and hose the hell out of it until the water is clear. This takes 2-4 changes of water in the pot. This help prevent it from being a sticky mess. It makes it fluffier.

You should offer how you prepare rice. Offering negative criticism without offering proper information about why or without an alternative is merely trolling and ego stroking.

What herbs are your favorite for risotto

>you can't even cook RICE.

>This is a cooking board, what is wrong with all of you?

Reading this thread should make you realise that rice can be prepared in many ways as there are many types of rice. Even if there is a basic way of doing it, there are many subtle variations that can be payed attention to and for the purpose of that rice. Basmati rice for a curry would be prepared differently to sushi rice for instance. Long grain vs brown rice. Whether you want to make risotto or not. Whether the rice you want is stickier or not.

You claim you're a 'functioning adult' but really you come across as a irate dweeb who wants to assert some kind of superiority if only for your own sake of self.

Yes

I hope you're covering the pot while the rice is cooking because the texture is shit otherwise (your photo related)

i only use arborio and carnaroli

>arborio
Isnt that for Risotto?

>letting out steam

i only make risotto

No judgement was just curious.

I'm a fan of short grain sushi rice myself.

My thoughts exactly. Is there some sort of middle ground?

I've spotted a problem, if you stir the rice the water gets redistributed weirdly and therefore you can no longer eyeball it (too much of the rice is on top of the water). Any solutions Veeky Forums?

Don't stir

Pressure cook it in spicy chicken broth. 6 minutes under pressure and done!

U N
E

N

R

I

C

H

E

D

Just re-learn how much water to eyeball. Here's what I do:

-rinse rice
-place rice in the cooking pot, add water.
-shake pot so that the rice is in an even layer.
-add more water as needed by eye

perfect every time.

>>too much of the rice is on top of the water)

What? the rice shouldn't float.

We do that out of superstition, though. I bet she also told you to pat down the bowl as you fill it with water to your wrist. It's completely unnecessary. Just soak it for half an hour before cooking and, run through strainer. That's all it needs.

No, I don't wash my rice. I've never even thought about it, I guess I assumed you weren't supposed to for the same reason you're not supposed to rinse cooked pasta.

2:1 water:rice, just like oatmeal. I use a rice cooker and it comes out perfect and sticky every single time. I like to add butter and salt, or soy sauce, or garlic salt and cheddar cheese. In that order.

I don't have a favorite brand but I like the flavor and appeal of long-grain jasmine.

Are you retarded? What sort of way is that to make rice?

Yeah, if you want like a kilo of rice

you're going to get cancer. Stop microwaving things in plastic bags you dolt

I've noticed that midwestern americans add butter to their rice. I don't know why they do this, but it's certainly a thing.

Adding butter isn't unusual, it's adding butter during the cooking process i'm confused about.

So you're too stupid to do simple math in order to reduce a recipe.

Got it.

take pot
add oil film to bottom
turn on heat to high
put in rice
add salt
stir until rice is salt and oil glazed
add 2:1 ratio of water
close pot
wait until water is no longer visible
put on low heat
wait 6 mins

done.

source.
just made rice

>Long grain vs brown rice

>it's adding butter during the cooking process i'm confused about.

Well, some people add oil to pasta water. And as we agree it is a thing for some people to add butter to rice. So surely some people would add butter during the cooking process.

I don't. I don't see the point. But it seems reasonable that some people might do that given what other kinds of crazy shit we see people do.

eggg

jasmine rice master race

He says he microwaves them in a bowl, ya big dumb dummy.

>3:2

I wanna stop teaching when I get here, but y'all can't ratio correctly.

Jasmine rice is usually my go to, but I eat like 3 or 4 full pots a week, since I some days eat literally nothing but rice, so it's more habit since i've been eating it since I was a kid living in thailand.

I was thinking of trying some shorter grain rices too, my local asian market got a whole shipment of new kinds of rice and is offering a deal if you buy one of each bag. They're only 4 lbs each so it's not like they'd go to waste or anything if I didn't like them.

As for rinsing, always. Till water runs clear. My mom never rinsed rice, but that always bothered me because, living in thailand, you'd still occasionally get husks when you made it, so I always rinse my rice out of habit more than out of desire to remove starches.

Yeah, so it doesn't taste like shit or go all mushy

Boil it in a pan then eat it

I buy the biggest bag of brown rice I can

After cooking rice on my own I only make basmati now.
Wash once, then cook.

HAHAH 10/10

or you can just get japanese rice

>mathematics

I only eat jasmine rice. Washing it is pointless.

I'm ashamed. I appear to have overcooked my rice and it is now nearly mush. I was watching it the whole time. It looks like I've lost my eyeballing skill. It's still ok to eat though right? I don't think I've ever heard of the dangers of overcooked rice.

you were watching it the whole time?
as in you kept lifting up the lid?

>you were watching it the whole time?
>as in you kept lifting up the lid?
I lifted the lid whenever it was going to boil over.

AH FUCK I'VE JUST REALISED I FUCKED UP THE RATIOS. False alarm.

see pic

any white basmati really. 8 mins in the microwave

>microwave