Hotplates

Pic not related.

I want a hotplate, it looks like most of the best reviewed ones on amazon are induction based.

I've never used one of these types of stoves or anything, is it much more of a pain in the ass than just having an electric coil?

pic looks related to me. It's even named "hotplate2.jpg"

Induction stoves only work with ferrous metals, so you can only use steel cookware with it.

If you have any cookware that's made of aluminum, glass, or ceramic, it won't work.

If you have steel cookware with a bottom that's made of a different material (like copper bottoms), you will get varying results, depending on the type of hotplate you have, and how thick the cookware's bottom material is.

Also induction sucks donkey cock for controlling temperature because it has to cycle on and off to control temp at all, and that's retarded.

I used hot plates for daily cooking for years and tried a lot of them. The best ones are the most popular, cheapest and basic ones. They all function the same for the first 6 months and break within a year of daily use, and none of them are worth fixing. The high ratings are from people being impressed by how nifty they look on the counter. Don't buy a fancy induction one unless you really care about how it looks over utility and economy.

You need cookware that is ferromagnetic, otherwise they won't work. But they can be pretty great once you get used to them. They heat up large volumes of stuff in half the time an electric top would require. The biggest drawback is that they can only be very poorly regulated at the low end of the power scale, that is done by full power/off in various intervalls. Sucks for when you want to simmer stuff, like a Bolognese, or for sensitive stuff like porridge, fine sauces or pudding.

I'm so happy to have gas in my new apartment. Cooking is so much more fun.

Works for Microwave

Am unfamiliar with this asian space technology.

What exactly is this thing used for?

Heating pans.

induction is meant for people who can't be trusted around real stoves, such as children, drunks, drug addicts, and the mentally infirm. it keeps the insurance premiums down which is very important if you own a restaurant, since the restaurant industry basically runs on drunks, drug addicts, and the mentally infirm

stop insulting gordon ramsey, user. It's not nice

>children
what does using children in the restaurant do to insurance premiums?

>since the restaurant industry basically runs on drunks, drug addicts, and the mentally infirm
Mexico never sends us their best.

Microwaves are shitty for precision cooking also.

HE WILL NOT DIVIDE US

If you don't care about fire code. You can use a stove that connects to a propane tank

if i put a slab of iron on an induction cooker could i heat my aluminum canner with it?

The short answer is "Yes, probably."

The long answer is that it would probably be easier and cheaper to use a traditional electric coil hotplate.

Induction cookers are typically more expensive, and using an iron slab to indirectly heat non-ferrous objects is likely to be less efficient than just getting a cheap electric coil hotplate and heating aluminum directly.

If you're going to be attempting to can, don't jury rig a "maybe this will work" deal. Find out from authoritative sources, either the manufacturer in writing or better yet the USDA. Canning can be perfectly safe and I do it all the time. But there's no guesswork involved.

i thought about that but i can't find one with a large enough diameter

i didn't know they let illiterates use canners

OP what is that in the picture?

>didn't know they let illiterates use canners

Please jury rig something without authoritative confirmation and can a bunch of stuff so we're sure your DNA is not passed on.

>critical think is bad

He's got you there op

Is that a hot plate in the picture?? asking for a friend