Cabbage question

Quick check. I'm pretty confident that you can eat most of a cabbage raw, but what about the leaves? I understand that you'd have to wash/soak them first, but are they safe to eat?

Slice them up and use them for stir fry, or cook them to soften and then make cabbage rolls. Yes they are safe. They are the same material as the head you want to eat, but have less than enticing flavor when raw.

You can also use them for soup.

spicy cabbage potato soup ft user

Holy fuck, have you ever heard of Cole slaw?

>Holy fuck, have you ever heard of Cole slaw?
That's white pinky shit is made of cabbage?

>but what about the leaves

The WHOLE thing is LEAVES jesus christ

just kill yourself now and save the world from your existence

The only reason not to use the outer leaves is that they tend to be rather bitter compared to the rest of the cabbage.They're fine to eat, but will be tough if eaten raw. I rarely even see the outer leaves on cabbages from the store, and when I get them from the farmers market, I just use the outer leaves in a smoothie.

>The WHOLE thing is LEAVES jesus christ
What?

You can pretty much eat any vegetable raw. Besides a few beans. And maybe potatoes.

>You can pretty much eat any vegetable raw.
True, but you can't always eat all of the vegetable raw. For example, every carrot I've ever bought had instruction to top and tail it.

Did it say why? The carrot tops should be fine to eat.

he is confused because 90% of a cabbage is cabbage leaves and this has made him angry

>Did it say why? The carrot tops should be fine to eat.
Nope.

Are you fucking stupid? I'm trying to tell OP that cabbage actually IS the leaves. It's not like the outer layer is made of some foreign toxic substance. They are just rough and shitty to eat. OP is apparently buying carrots that come with instructions. He has to be a troll.

You sound upset

Anyway OP don't do it I shit my pants for days because I ate it raw

I know parsnip leaves, a member of the carrot family, are toxic. Do not eat those.

I've tried eating cabbage raw but the taste is just too fucking strong for me, is their anyway around this without just fucking cooking it?

just fucking cook it faggot

Chop it up, put a shitload of lemon juice on it, a little olive oil and vinegar. You can also add grated carrot.

>Chop it up,
Does that really achieve much? If anything that'd just mean I have to endure the taste for longer.

>just fucking cook it faggot
What's the laziest way that I can do this?

No that is incorrect. Parsnip greens are fine, but potato leaves, a member of the parsnip family, is toxic.

That doesn't make any sense
And if you feel like you're "enduring" the taste, why bother eating it at all.

Get a big pot and put water and salt in it, and then put the head of cabbage in it and cook it until it is cooked a little or a lot. You don't really have to cut it if you have a big pot.

You can also cut a piece off and put it in the microwave with a little water in the dish

Strange. I wonder why the last packet of parsnip seeds I bought warned against eating the greens because they were toxic. I guess it was just the distribution of alternative facts by a corporation for some sinister motive.

>why bother eating it at all.
Because it's cheap, healthy, and hopefully has potential.

Maybe this is a more Veeky Forums question, but in terms of calories, what should the serving sizes for cabbage be? When I think in terms of mass, I start to realise that I'd usually eat a lot more of a non-leafy vegetable than a non-leafy one.

are cabbages just big sprouts? or are sprouts small cabbages?

Have you ever learnt to read? Op is asking about the moss green, fiberous husk like leaves that surround the cabbage itself.
Or perhaps you've never seen a cabbage that hasn't without the husk like leaves on the outside, sometimes grocery stores remove them. In that case, I suppose I'll see you in the fast food threads.

Pic related

*that isn't without

Forgot to answer: You can eat them, but they're bitter and don't crisp up like kale when baked, which I've tried. If you really want you can use them as filler in a stir fry that has sweet vegetables in the mix

>Pic related
Cool.

>buying whole rhubarb
>leaves look the same as beet leaves
>almost eat them
>roommate freaks out

they are poison