Dry Aging Beef

Does anybody dry age their beef?

I realize that most quality steakhouses age their beef one way or another, and I'm wondering about doing it at home. The best steaks I've eaten have come from aged beef.

I'm wondering if home dry aging is a possibility for the common man. I have 3 fridges in my house so space isn't a problem but I don't want to spoil or otherwise ruin an expensive cut of beef. The following video is my jumping off point, any other of you guys tried this?

youtube.com/watch?v=1o7GTADAo1g

if you fuck it up you can get botulism and kill yourself.

leave it to the professionals.

I agree with what this guy is doing exept for one thing. You need to trim off the layer of mold before slicing the meat. By cutting right through that layer of mold into the steak you are contaminating the rest of it.

And if you fuck up driving you'll kill yourself.

I understand risks and I'm trying to mitigate them. That's why I'm trying to receive any experienced knowledge I can before undertaking this adventure.

A visible layer of mold or just the entire outside?

This dude also seems to have it just chilling in a fridge, not wrapped or anything. Is this correct or is he not showing steps?

I buy my dry aged beef. I won't buy it unless I see them cut the filthy first layer off. The meat closest to the funk always tastes the best!

Does anyone find a huge difference between dry ageing and wet ageing their meat? Curious as to what method might be superior or give better results

I've never dry aged my own beef. But I can agree that the aged beef is the best.

All the best steakhouses I've been too dry age their steaks.

If that's any answer.

Have you ever wet aged before? How would you compare the two?

When I'm having a beer and looking at the Zagat reviews posted on the walls for Top Steakhouse show me who is boss. That's how.

I fake dry age my beef.

I wrap it in paper tower and put it in the fridge, and I change the paper tower frequently. What this does is to essentially lower the moisture level of the mean. There is no mold involved.

Morton is wet aged. And it fucking sucks.

It's my least favorite non-cheapo steak house.

I either go for Luger's or Smith and Wolensky.

I'm pretty sure both go for dry aging as they are both based.

We dry age our own beef. Its really not all that hard. The biggest hurdle when it comes to doing it yourself at home is the expense. You really need a large piece of meat to work with. I'd recommend starting with a whole boneless rib roast but that's going to cost you at least a hundred and probably quite a bit more. I'm not really up to date on retail price for large cuts. You might has better luck if you know someone in the industry or if you know someone with cows or at your local slaughterhouse.

I'd also recommend starting out slow. Don't go for a 60 day old dry age because you probably will not like it and it will be a waste. I'd say no more than 30 days max and probably more like 15-20 for your first time. Its better to underage it that go too far and waste it.

There is a special vacuum sealed bag called UMAi Dry Bags that work well and aren't particularly expensive. Do a google on them. There are a lot of positive reviews. They'll work for dry cured sausages as well.

I heard you can just vacuum seal with basically any decent bag for dry ageing. This was honestly this first time I've seen someone not seal up their meat for dry ageing, I'm extremely new to this so I'm curious if the sealing of the meat and sticking it in the fridge will minimise the amount of mold but still age the meat well. Would this be true?

tee ayche eye es

we dry age in house at the steakhouse I work at and price is a big factor for the home chef. Luckily I do the ordering so I can just pay out of pocket to get some extra without any questions.

>That's why I'm trying to receive any experienced knowledge I can before undertaking this adventure.
Get as far away from Veeky Forums as possible.

There's a reason he's asking this shit to Veeky Forums and not fuckin /b/ or something
>Fuck off with your uselessness

inb4 bannd

Veeky Forums is never ever the place for advise on something that can legit kill you. And im including /k/ on this.

Well I mean like yea he could google or ask reddit or something but at least he's in the best place on Veeky Forums for somewhat relevant advice

>I understand risks and I'm trying to mitigate them.
you'll die.

dry aging is better but harder and there is more wastage

Those UMAi bags are designed with a certain amount of air permeability. But the instructions say you have to ensure you completely vacuum the air out. If you google it, you'll see they aren't just a standard vacuum seal bag. Reviews look good and I used it for a dry aged salami that came out great.

You either have to use that or have a dedicated refrigerator with a humidifier and humidistat because the air in a refrigerator without a permeable barrier like the UMAi bag is too dry and the outside will dry much more quickly than the interior, resulting in spoilage.

>inb4 UMAi shill

Cool. Make sure to post a follow-up from the hospital.

i dot know user
seems like i could just wing it

It's a 1000+ year old technique, It's not rocket science. Are you one of those pathetic weaklings that gets food poisoning 500 times a year?

The dude in that video just popped it in the fridge, uncovered and next to what looked like a case of beer and it was fine. Not a lot of measurement and maintenance it seems.

Shit, some people make beef jerky by blowing a fan over raw beef strips and they don't wind up hospitalized.

Beef jerky is marinated and pretty damn salty. It's also cut into very thin strips.
If you don't understand how these two processes contain very different amount of risk then you should not be doing this.

jerky is nothing like dry aging how have you not accidentally killed yourself trying to operate a toaster at this point?

Dude, seriously. Stop fucking with ageing or curing meat if you're not going to research authoritative sources. There are certain variables, namely temperature and humidity that must be controlled for safety. You can play russian roulette, but at some point the chamber will have a round.

The UMAi bag is a safe cheap way if you have refrigerator space without installing a humidifier/humidistat. If not, get your affairs in order.

It's all about experimentation you helmet wearing pussies. I've made some great stuff foodwise and in other areas of life just fucking around. I've also been seriously hurt and sick doing this but I'm still alive.

If you don't live a little and learn, and always shell out hard earned money to 'professionals' you'll never get anywhere.

>helmet wearing pussies

I can even meat products (pic related, stock and salmon) and cure my own meat. But I do it so I can comfortably offer it to guests without wondering if I'll kill them. And it's not hard to do. Some things are very stupid to play russian roulette with. If you like senseless gambling, go ahead. The human race already has a large amount of DNA that's expendable.

>That's why I'm trying to receive any experienced knowledge I can before undertaking this adventure.
>Asking Veeky Forums

You have a very well laid out plan, you'll be fine.

I'm about to go drive 120 on the interstate without my glasses after drinking a fifth of whiskey because /b/ told me it was a good idea....brb

Well I'm not some Reddit using faggot like you lot and I've been here for 10 some odd years. I can weed out the bullshit vs the truth and I use it to strengthen my own research. /diy/ is where I usually hang out.

Blindly following any advice is retarded.

There are plenty of diy setups with old refrigerators and stuff.

Basically what you need is to control the temperature and humidity and the humidity is what you'll have more trouble with at-home.

One of the most important factors is the cut of meat; you want a large less-prepped piece with fat cap intact because as it ages you just trim away any funky mould that develops and at the end you trim the whole thing down anyway to cut into individual steaks.

If you fuck up cooking you could get food poisoning and kill yourself!!!
Better just leave the tendy-making to professionals like mommy :^)

yuck lol
do you keep those jars next to the severed heads, Mr Bundy?

Wtf? I guess you can save the image if you think it might have value on /b/.

I'm pretty sure every one of our ancestors weren't butchers. All you have to do is carve off the rotten parts.

The most I've done is about a week with pre-cut steaks. All that amount of aging seems to do is remove surface moisture, resulting in a more concentrated beefy flavor. Obviously, however, you're losing water content and finished steak won't be as juicy as a result.

Dry aging us all fun and games until you're left with two hundred pounds of hard, furry, slimy fat caps to cut down in order to retrieve the tiny slivers of meat hidden within

It's a wonder I haven't been infected by some evolved mold and become patient zero for a fungal zombie apocalypse