Al/ck/ thread. Going into day 10. What's the longest you guys have ever stayed sober

al/ck/ thread. Going into day 10. What's the longest you guys have ever stayed sober.

In the past 5 years or so, probably about 4 days. Actively making a change now though, planning no alcohol during the week and moderation at the weekend.

Tried moderation a couple of nights ago and after a a few drinks I thought fuck it and opened a bottle of wine, then more drinks after. Can't go on like that, not sustainable at all and must be really bad for me.

I haven't been sober for more than a month straight in 9 years.
The last time I was sober for a month was in Q1 of 2016. Needless to say I still drink every day, but I have mostly cut out liquor. Bottle of wine or a shit ton of beer anyway.

I can't do moderation. Or I won't however you wanna think about it. The longest I did was just over 2 months then went on a bender and lost my job.

23 years. I didn't discover the joy of alcohol until I was 23.

Non autistic answer, like 14 days.

I haven't gone a day without drinking in months

2015 was the first year where I knew for certain that I drank every single night.
>tfw

It's day 3 without booze, just got paid and already contemplating about getting booze.

How do you guys stay sober? I have issues with my kidneys and should stop but the problem is I get bored and unmotivated and then I just want to drink. I can't hang out with my friends because that will only lead to more heavy drinking since they're also alcoholics.

Dude it's gotta be so hard to have multiple alcoholic friends, I can't even imagine. My best friend is, but if all my friends were there would probably just be no hope for me.

When I'm drinking I stay away from my friends who are alcoholics, so if I went and hungout with them I'd drink anyways. I'm probably fucked either way but here's hoping. See what happens when I get paid lol.

How good would a few coldies be right about now... My mouth is salivating just thinking about it.
That sweet buzz..

Sober for a week now. Thought about not drinking this month which went well for two weeks and then I went out with friends once and ended up drinking for five days straight which resulted in a horrible hangover. Drinking really isn't good for me but then again I hate my life when I'm sober.

Since I became an alky? I dunno. Like ten days maybe?
Right now? 4 days but not trying too hard. Already planning on getting some booze today.

The problem is, when I drink, for some reason I have to get wasted. So I end up spending a lot of money (canadian, so ten times the price here), and drinking way too much.

Longest I've been sober in the past 5 years is 16 days. I probably drank 330/365 days last year. When I can buy weed I spend a lot less money on piss but weed isn't always easy to get. I want to lose weight but beer is the cheapest thing and comes in reasonable portions. I mean wine is cheaper but I'll suck a goon sack dry in 2 days which is like 3x the alcohol of a six pack of beer each night. A bottle of straight lasts me two days as well and in Straya the cheapest shit is $35 a bottle. So I'm doomed to either an ever expanding gut or complete abstinence. If there's alcohol in my house I will drink it. No moderation.

sober now. just moved across the state. only $11
life is miserable and i want to die but a few days off alcohol is actually picking me up.

I'm on day 31 now. Got drunk the night before New Year's Eve.

Since the start of the year I have had 0 carbs and 0 alcohol.

322 days as of today. Was about to lose my job and house. My grandpa finally died following a long, painful ordeal after drunkenly breaking his back. I went on one last bender after that and decided to quit for good after 10 years of drinking very hard. Went to rehab. Now, work is good, family is not bad. I have a car again after a DUI in 2011. Sobriety has been great. Buying myself pic related in March 14th as a little gift to myself

I stayed sober for three months at the beginning of 2016. I felt bored, depressed, angry, bitter. All the things that being sober is supposed to do didn't happen for me. I didn't feel unburdened or like my eyes had been opened. I felt like I was wasting time and not doing something that I enjoy doing.

I was encouraged by a friend who had been sober for almost two years. She had been a hardcore alcoholic like me back when we were close, then we drifted apart and finally reunited because of our sobriety. And we both broke our sobriety together, after weighing out the pros and cons.

At the very least, I can say that taking a long break from drinking led to me cutting back in a big way. I used to be a twice-a-week binge drinker, then I cut down to just Friday nights and today I only get buzzed maybe once a week. But giving up drinking completely is for the birds, as far as I'm concerned. I just don't think the benefits of sobriety are really so great, especially if you're already a functioning alcoholic or a dry drunk.

Also, I'd like to share this with you guys because you may have had a similar thought.

I got out of a detox center a couple years ago and had this thought that I could never quit drinking entirely because I'd never be able to toast at my daughter's wedding. I have no kids, no wife. It was just an excuse to drink again. When I went to rehab last year, at the first outside AA meeting we went to, an older guy said the EXACT SAME FUCKING THING. That he couldn't completely quit because he'd never be able to toast at his daughter's wedding. He had no kids or a wife at the time, either. It was an excuse to drink again that day.

Fucking dumb shit we tell ourselves

Daughterposter is that you?

That's the dumbest, straightest, most retarded breeder logic I've ever heard. Fathers who "give their daughters away" and obsess over the ceremony of handing her over to another man so he can fuck her are the worst kind of pimp incestuous pedophilic scum.

No
Ok. You kinda missed the point

im sober today

gonna find out in a few hours if ive lost my job or not to due to drinking

regardless, I feel good.

Well, I realize that you were just saying this sort of thing to rationalize your refusal to go full sober. But there are people who actually think about that kind of thing sincerely.

Gotcha. I assume you're talking about Trump

I wasn't, but maybe I was.

Maybe a week in 2016. No hope of going any longer this year.

$21.99 for a fifth of bum-tier rotgut here in Canada. Nearly $100 a month for a fifth per week. I'd be spending at least 200-250 to drink as much as I want, but I need to save money. Fucking liquor regulations.

Fingers crossed that liquor becomes even cheaper here in Trump's America.

Been sober for about two days.
I almost don't count getting blackout drunk on Saturday, because I passed out and was awake and sober again all before 5PM.

So, if we don't count Saturday, it's been almost two weeks! :)

In the last 7 or 8 years, probably about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. I always end up relapsing because of living in conditions that make me fucking miserable and I'm poor at coping.

Not sure how you think that's going to happen since Trump doesn't like alcohol. I think his brother drank himself to death. He might try to ban it outright.

Well, I actually don't think it's going to happen or that anything else even accidentally good will happen as a result of this administration, but I'm trying to find a silver lining ;_;

3 months

well done mate

>le Trump is bad meme
Stop it.

>le trump is not so bad meme
Please, stop it.

Trump might just get impeached and replaced with his VP who's a gigantic jesusfag. In that case, you're fucked.

Here's your silver lining: every time the trump does anything regarding US policy the value of Bitcoin surges up $100

I was sober from birth until my eighteenth birthday

Thanks

Is that a frog?

I started seeing a therapist, and I'm coming up on a year of being sober. I don't drink caffeine, or do any drugs including weed or cigarettes. Got back in school and have a 4.0 GPA. I started bicycling last week. All of the hard stuff is over. Feels good. Now I just have to finish my degree and find a job. Me 2.0 is going to do things the right way this time. Looking forward to it.

>former lardass weighed 280+ at some point
>virgin with no social skills
>drop to 180 in a little over a year but still insecure
>meet cute vietnamese girl at school and spill my life story to her
>get too scared when we hang out so I always make sure we both drink
>end up just cuddling while buzzed
>too afraid to do anything with her sober

I'm afraid that I'm gonna become alcoholic because I have no confidence and use drinking as a means to not feel judged around her.

Stop using alcohol as a social crutch now

>this is how the average Veeky Forums user talks now
Become an hero, you flaming faggot.

>might get impeached
I'm not even trying to be combative here, but that just isn't going to happen.

exactly my thoughts
what the fuck happened?

Day 1 of trying not to drink anything during the week. I am bored as fuck and it is only 8pm. What do?

Go to the gym.
Push yourself hard.
Go home.
Collapse into blessed sleep.

Already been today, thinking I might start going in the evening instead for exactly this reason. Thankfully am feeling pretty tired now so early night in bed.

Sweet.
Keep it up, you don't need liquor.

Reinstall Desert Combat and fly the apache around El Alamein

work is trying to force me into treatment and is trying to get me to sign a contract saying that I am, whether it be AA or otherwise

I hate meetings and get nothing from them.

what do, ck?

you think cirrhosis and liver cancer are fun? the fuck is wrong with you people?

>what do, ck?
If you want to keep your life together, then it's quite obvious that you need to get help

>fun
Not one single alcoholic will tell you that it's fun. It starts that way, sure, but it becomes the exact opposite

fair enough. it just seems a gross invasion of privacy to be forced into a meeting, especially out of work.

they also want written documentation saying that I am indeed attending meetings.

ive been to 20 meetings or so and have never heard of such a thing even happening

any input?

Get a sponsor to write your notes, I guess. Are they offering to help you with any kind of treatment other than AA?

Honestly, the real question is, do you even want to quit?

>ive been to 20 meetings or so and have never heard of such a thing even happening
I've heard of court ordered AA, but I've never seen how they monitored it

Did two separate two week sober streaks last year just to prove to myself that I could do it. Lately I've been so stressed at work though that I feel like I need at least a six pack to get to sleep. It would probably be a good time to try another one of those two week streaks.

I don't want to go to any sort of in patient rehab treatment. doctor put me on valium short term but work wont let me back until I have written documentation that I am getting help. WEEKLY. wtf?

I don't want a sponsor. I don't really want anything to do with AA. I find no help in sitting in a room with a bunch of sob stories. half the people there relapse every fucking month anyways

yeah I'm really confused. I tried to stress the ANONYMOUS part to my employer but they were like ''lol nah we have heard you can get notes''

glad people who have never been to a meeting know more about them than I do

>it just seems a gross invasion of privacy to be forced into a meeting, especially out of work.
Seems like they're being pretty generous considering they could just can your ass.

If you have insurance and/or can afford it, see a therapist. Sounds like you don't really want to quit

If you mean not gotten drunk, 3 weeks in recent memory, having on avg 1.5 drinks per week. If you mean not had a single drink, 1 week. This is in the past several years.

>tfw I'm not a weakling and am fully in control of my desire to drink
>enjoy drinks a few times a month, and never drink in excess
>never have to deal with uncontrollable urges to get drunk

Not sure if I got lucky in regards to this or if most people are just addicts waiting to happen.

30 years.

Op what is going on in your picture. For some reason I am aroused.

wow, just wow. I'm literally shaking right now

gtfo of my board you incest-hating pedophobe

I've tried alcohol once and it tasted like piss.
How can you even drink that?

Longest I've ever stayed sober was 6 months. Drinking is just such a part of life, though, since I've been drinking since I was in jr. high, and it's such a part of my culture, I can't stay sober forever. Now, I just drink on the weekends, but I drink a lot. I stick to just beer and wine, though, I have cut out the hard liquor.

can a nigga get a rim shot?

If I'm really busy I stay sober around a month or so, then I get back to drinking. I think that's fine. I don't seem to make up for the time I was sober, although I did finish 3x 750ML of 38% alcohol last week. Hmm sounds like a lot actually, drank 12 beers as well. Oh well.

longest i went was around 9 months.
ive been messing up so much recently.........i cant stop myself from drinking again after a 5-6 days.

ive got to attend my group therapy tomorrow. and at the moment i would rather fucking kill myself. back at rock bottom.

sorry to bring the mood down. but i dont talk to people normally, at all, and im very lonely and want to die.
i feel dead inside.
thanks for keeping my company.

since i started drinking nightly? maybe half a week, after i drunk drove my car and flipped it. i dont think anythings going to stop it unless i get a girl and a steady job that im proud of

You're not going to get a girl and a steady job if you continue to drink

I was only able to get sober due to having a severe stomach illness I couldn't hold much down our in for like 3 weeks, alcohol made it way worse and any time I drank it I became hypotensive and would fall over.

I was like 28 atvthe time. After that I just enjoy it every once in a while.

We were all like that at some point. Keep on drinking and "controlling" it, not gonna end badly at all.

Drank a fifth to a liter of more of whiskey a day for past 7 years. Went into detox 8 days ago and got out 4.....want to drink so fucking bad right now; but holding off until May so my liver can heal

Jesus Christ trying to sleep sober is hard. Trying to pass out with your brain running a mile a minute sucks.

In week 2 of rehab, 13 days clean
Been drinking heavily for 3-4 years.
It's an uphill battle everyday, anons
Definitely consider at least partial hospitalization if you can. It's worth it to regain the control that alcohol takes away.

I have not taken off one day this year anons I need help.
>be me great business
>run it on my own
>make a lot of money
>pound a pint of vodka on my way home 2 blocks from home
>drink beer with supper so no one suspects shit
I am a drunk and I need help
Suggestions my friends?

how the hell do you guys afford that shit?

>most people are just addicts waiting to happen.

Well, you said it yourself.

Taper off

>how the hell do you guys afford that shit?

My drinking habit of roughly a liter a day for every day an entire year cost me 10 bucks a day for rotgut canadian whiskey

so that was only $3,650 a year (I make well over 100k though, so it's easy for me....also did it when I made 47k/yr though)

How do you suggest user?

Each night, drink slightly less

Lmao breh, I remember feeling like that. It's still fun for me but i certainly drink more than I should and it's starting to effect my life

I went 5 days during a move, it was too stressful and other things were on my mind. Well kind of, but I was too exhausted to go and buy, and knew I'd fall asleep too quickly.

Otherwise, I take 2 days off every week, don't drink on weekends unless it's an actual occasion. My 2 days proves to me that I'm not so super weak that I give into my "oh shit It's Sunday, their hours suck today" (live in the south) or "oh fuck yeah Saturday morning, nothing to do, I can get drunk"

Oh I agree. The hardest part is the willpower. To get bloggy for a second, if it's in the house I'm going to drink it. No willpower this way, I bought it, I can drink it, whatever excuse.

purchase smaller amounts of booze, of course. At least with me, once I'm actually drunk and out of alcohol, that's it, I don't think about it.
If you're a bottle guy instead of beer, you do this other thing I did.
Drink until you feel good. This isn't about absolute limits, but like I couldn't finish a 750ml myself, I'd feel a certain way and say "okay I'm done", then mark the bottle a tiny bit lower with a marker. That's where I'd absolutely quit for the night.

and then in the mornings, I'd wake up and have booze left. great feeling, I don't have to go out and buy more. It's marking the bottle and obeying it, you know you're drunk enough and you're rewarding yourself in the future, you'll appreciate it even more the next day rather than getting black out drunk

Good luck m8. If you can do moderation power to you. I dont seem to have that off-switch.

My marriage started failing. On top of that a physical/blood work at the VA showed my liver and kidneys were going to shit. Eventually my wife kicked me out until I sobered up. Said if I came home drunk again we were done. Whole life just went to hell.

Rock on man. Sorry about your loss tho

What do you think made sobriety suck for you?

Managed not to drink last night, feel pretty good today actually. Maybe I can stick to this.

like 5 years i think

What are withdrawal symptoms like guys? Cause I really can't tell if I'm having them or the shit Chinese food I had last night made me sick.

Depends on how heavily and how long you have drank
Usually you'd experience tremors, nausea, excessive sweating, and anxiety at best
At worst you could have seizures, DT, and death
Go to a doctor or a rehab clinic for a (hopefully) free assessment

Well I have thrown up twice, had nausea and stomach pains/gas as well as being really cold, slight fever, really thirsty. I don't think I have withdrawal symptoms because I had a swig of bourbon to see if the symptoms went away, and they didn't. I ended up throwing it up about 20 minutes later. Doesn't matter anyway, if I keep going down this path, I'll end up with real withdrawal symptoms. I just can't fucking sleep at night for the life of me

It could very well be withdrawal
How long have you been drinking and how much?

Reading this thread freaks me out. No more weekday drinking. Saturdays only. I really don't want to fuck up my life even more than I already have (non-alcohol related)

Year and a half. Generally a bit less than a pint a night

Although last August and October I didn't touch a drop