Beer general

I've been into craft beer for about 6 years now, but I've recently been getting really into it.

I'm open to any recommendations that are widely available in the US or at least New York. I like pretty much everything, but I'm not too crazy about meme IPAs or meme stouts.

Other urls found in this thread:

mensjournal.com/food-drink/articles/brewery-buyouts-rock-the-list-of-2015s-biggest-american-craft-brewers-w201499
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Oh and people on here say that New York's craft scene is lacking, but they make up a lot of the big names here which I've tried personally. I've had a lot of great beers brewed here in New York.

forgot link

mensjournal.com/food-drink/articles/brewery-buyouts-rock-the-list-of-2015s-biggest-american-craft-brewers-w201499

bump

That's because that list is biggest breweries, which has nothing to do with quality. It makes sense that breweries up in the super populated part of the country would be big and lucrative.

That said, I'm sure there's plenty of good beer in New York. Lacking compared to California, Michigan, and Oregon doesn't mean there isn't enough beer to keep a person happy. I think just about every state in the union has enough of its own production to get a dude by at this point.

Recommendations don't work if you don't know what you like, or if we don't know what's available where you are. Just go down the BA top 250, I guess.

This list is interesting. I would have been able to guess the top four, down to exact order, pretty easily. Pretty sure I would have gotten 9/10 of the top 10 even, but I didn't know Shiner had a parent company.

But then at 5 is Minhas. Literally never heard of it in my life. Even went to the website, and nothing at all is recognizable.

We get it, you're from new york.

new york's craft scene was lacking until this year. there's so much good shit there now. suarez, other half, sand city, lic, etc

NORTH CAROLINA REPORTING

Beer is Heist - Citraquench'l

Wisconsinite here and didnt recognize the name but I did recognize some of their products.
they sell notoriously bad lagers that taste like stale malt liquor and piss.

the Milwaukee niggers must be huge fans or something.

Currently

>craft beer
this website is for legal adults.

It's inherently juvenile to be triggered by things that you don't like.

Anyone tried pic related?

I had it on tap a couple night ago and am still on the fence. Something about the bitterness of the chocolate and the bitterness of the hops just don't work together.

im disappointed they would put out a meme beer like this to be honest fampai

Like beer.

>Chocolate
>Coffee
>IPA

triggered

I've never heard of Minhas either. I think they make both shitty beers as well aa crafts.

Is Yuengling a good example if what American beer was like in the olden says?

And something I see repeated around here a lot, is that American beer wasn't shitty until WWII, but Budweiser, Pabst, Miller, and Coors have been around for well over 100 years

All I know is that Yuengling has some of the best beer on the market. Even better than half of these craft breweries.

I posted a pic drinking Yuengling the other day and got negative responses.

You're surrounded by hipsters. What do you expect?

It's good stuff. Would be even better if it didn't come in green bottles.

You got honest responses. It's a locally made coors.

It's way better than Coors. It tastes like actual beer and not adjuncty.

Because it's not actually good.

Was in New York recently (upstate) and they had lots of great craft beer. Apparently the finger lakes region is prime hips growing territory. Empire state brewing company had some great IPAs.

I live in the based Southeast. Sweetwater brewing company in Atlanta is the GOAT

I honestly prefer coors.

Anyone on Veeky Forums like Orpheus? Probably my favorite Atlanta brewery, along with Creature Comforts. Transmigration of Souls is a great IPA but I love their saisons and they recently released a pretty great Imperial stout.

I had Sweetwater IPA the other day, was prettt good

Had to drink some nice beers tonight. Started with this one!

come to me with something that rivals Heady Topper and then we can talk.

Not a super big fan of this one though but i hear that people prefer it over Heady!

>meme stouts

But stouts aren't even memes. Are you referring to some stout in particular?

This next one i had might fit that bill in his mind i guess.
Awesome porter nevertheless. Bit bitter on the aftertaste!

While you all are at it can someone recommend me a good brown ale? I need something to drink other than Old Brown Dog.

This one doesn't do it for me either.
Heady is still where it's at.

>stouts aren't memes
You're a fucking idiot, son.

Yeah... Enjoy By is usually really solid, but this time it felt like they really jumped the shark.

Focal is okay- certainly in the same ballpark as far as complexity and body's I could see somebody preferring it to Heady.

Pic related is my current favorite.

Yeah no. Coffee beers need to be stouts or strong ales, not pale ales. Also the coffee should be cold brewed to give a good coffee flavor without imparting bitterness.

>pic related from Alligash in Maine is the best coffee beer

Probably never will have a chance to try any Treehouse so color me jelly!

Stouts is where it is at for me right now with the cold winter days and all! This one was one of the best coffee ones i ever had!

yeah no. there are a couple really good coffee beers that are not stouts. goose island fulton street blend is a perfect example

don't be jealous man. A friend of mine who consults to breweries (he's my source for Heady, Treehouse and all the other hard to get stuff) had a really interesting take - based on the investment into beer, science and horticulture, the cutting edge stuff we drink now will be crap in 5 years. Just like with food, we're in the middle of a beer revolution, but its not just in brewing recipes. the ingredients are getting better - and that means exponentially better beer.

I'm not really into fancy craft beers but nothing takes me back better then a pint of Stella.

Which craft beer would you recommend to my refined wife beating pallate?

>disagrees with my characterization that good coffee beers need to be be stouts or strong ales, not ale ales
>cites coffee beer that is a blonde ale and falls exactly into one of the two categories i mentioned as being a good backbone for coffee beer
>doesn't realize that he completely agrees with me

its all good bro. Cheers.

if you like stella, try a craft lager. Lots of nice floral and herbal notes without the malty backbone and grapefruit rind bitterness that you get in most craft IPA.

>329 Lager
>Dogfish head Piercing Pils
>Lagunitas Pils
>Bells Lager of the Lakes

and this isn't exactly a craft beer, but as far as floral flavor profile goes, Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat is like drinking a glass of flowers.

nice one mate, I'll take note of the ones you listed for the next time i go down to the shop

pro brewer here, brewing currently brewing a 30bbl batch of pale ale. happy to answer any questions if people care. from california so I know much more about the west coast than the rest of the world.

Dry hopped?

yep. pretty much all our pale beers are dry hopped. IPA, pale, blonde, etc. this one is mostly simcoe and citra.

This brewery is truly a magical place. If you ever visit there, get the cheese curds and for the love of God drink Crack the Skye.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can determine the AAU of my homegrown hops? I made a Steam Beer that was supposed to be fairly malty and just added the same amount of homegrown hops figuring they wouldn't be that bitter, but I essentially ended up with an IPA brewed with California Lager yeast.

That's a tricky one. I would guess you'd have to send a sample of your hops into a lab to get them tested. Depending on where you live, there may be a local independent yeast manufacturing lab nearby that could do this test for you.

Honestly, I believe that fresh/wet hops are best used as whirlpool (aroma) hops, instead of bittering hops. At the brewery we'll fill large nylon bags with hops, and steep them for ~30 minutes once the boil has ended. You want the aromatic qualities of your fresh hops as opposed to bittering, so the AA% doesn't really matter. Most professional brewers that I know follow this school of thought.

If you're bent on using them for bittering and don't want to send them in to a lab, I'd ballpark it by looking at the AA of hops of the same variety online.

North or South?

Currently applying for brewery jobs in Norcal.

norcal, bay area

Ah, I'm a bit inland from you.

I prefer cider. Will people judge me for this? Pictured is what I drink.

People judge me because i like ale, but then again anyone I drink with already likes me so it's just bantz.

How exactly? They taste good and stouts aren't always super bitter

BANTZ??

back to /pol/ with you....

I always wondered if people thought I was a sook, like a guy buying vodka cruisers or Somersby.

Is there anything better? Tfw Michigander.

Based beer, senpai-a-lams. Atlanta, Georgia represent, /ck!

When I worked at a pizzeria/bar in Florida they would give us a pitcher or two of usually yeungling at the end of every night.

Drinking the yeungling of Minnesota. Not very good, but drinkable and locally made so I buy it over other macros and convince myself it's worth it.

Anyone got that pic of a godly Lager Pepe vs a homelss IPA wojak?

picked up a couple 4 packs of these yesterday for my bday. looking forward to drinking a couple of them tonight.

Cracker.

If u are in guadalajara mexico you should try Steinbock. They got 5 different beers brewed by a German brewer! They got a pale ale, a stout, a rauchbier, a doppelbock and a weizen. All of them are really good!

>tfw it's in every liquor store near me for 10$
You from NY or something? I know their taxes are pretty steep.

Imperial stouts are definitely memes

Brooklyn Brown Ale

california. this is the first time these cans have made it out here. the 4-pack IPA trend is booming right now so there are some big markups... also this was from a specialty beer store that pretty much always has a high markup. not mad about it, they sold out in a couple of hours

Yuengling actually is good, though.

I read the list of top 20 most popular beers in the USA and I was surprised I saw Coors Light as #2, I don't see that many people drink it.

I knew Bud Light would be number 1, and while not surprised I don't get how people love something so flavorless.

If you live in FL and can find it, Central 28 is awesome. Show Pigeon IPA is my favorite, but they usually have the Up River APA at most bars in central FL.

This is their limited El Bulli, which is a really thick coffee stout made from Trilogy coffee nearby the brewery.

Beer is not particularly expensive in New York.

yeah its good if you like drinking grainy, mealy water

It tastes pretty good, stop being a snobby faggot. It ain't no Keystone Light.

I'd pay 15$ for it anyway desu senpai. It's worth it in flavor, but not alcohol.

honestly it doesn't. it has an offensive grainy taste. i'd rather drink one of the mass-produced american lagers like Bud versus this stuff.

just turned 21
what should i buy

Anyone been to Yakima WA? Seeing almost the entire hop production in the us is pretty neat.

>tek syndicate
Lmao

Yeah, I grew up near there. Went back for Thanksgiving.