Calling all back of house l

It's a slow Tuesday... anyone have stories from working back of house? Dishwashers all the way to sous chef.
>pic related only reason I even come back to this hell hole

I work out back of back of house

working in kitchens gave me a cocaine problem.

>be me
>work at a restaurant
>the place is family run
>one day a long term client dies and they all are attending the funeral
>coincidentally my fellow cook shows up with two swords
>begin to go through the food and find what we can slice in the air out back
>find all these bad potatoes and slice them in the air

Sounds pretty lame when I write it out but it was a fun day especially with friends there.

Also

>have a dumb coworker, we'll call him Shane
>Shane is constantly dumb and easily angered
>we have bells for service in different parts of the building
>there's a gift shop out to the side in a separate room but usually the clerk comes to the main room
>Shane keeps coming to our room and annoys us
>we get a second bell and whenever he comes in we press it
>he runs back and wonders why no one is there
>he is getting suspicious
>we tell him it's like how you check your phone thinking it vibrated
>he buys it
>we fuck with him for days like this and finally he catches us
>absolutely loses it and curses us out and walks out of the store leaving his shift
>boss comes in, we tell him the story, he laughs his ass off and uses it as an excuse to fire him

I have stories about green people going on a test run/trial if that interest you.

Do tell, I love me some trial by fire stories.

>guy at work is constantly in the storage room
>we suspect him of being on his phone, or eating crap
>he is pretty useless overall
>one day we are retrieving something from the basement
>look and see an open chocolate bar, a jersey milk chocolate bar which is half eaten
>believe it is this dumb coworker of ours that nobody likes, he's one of those people you don't like without really knowing why
>draw pic related on a tin we use for storing recyclables
>he finds it and complains to management
>next day we have a meeting about workplace bullying

I'm also interested

I haven't got there yet, currently binge drinking before and after every shift though... should be on to drugs soon

Serious question...
Why do you do this shit, when easy factory assembly work is available at $15 - $18/hour?
I cant think of a single reason to work food service unless you are an illegal alien or your location is so isolated you have no other choice.

All's well that ends well

10/10 i will try that

Well working in the kitchen is my 2nd job. I do it for spending money, while my main job is for bills. Plus everywhere says they hire felons but their full of shit

She hot?
One time our fry cook forgot to turn the fryer off before cleaning it, it caught fire and he panicked and he dumped a bucket of water on it. The owner came back all pissed off because the whole restaurant filled with steam

I worked as a dishwasher in a mexican joint owned by an italian when I was 15. Lied about my age and got the job. My first lay happened there with a slut waitress who was 30 and liked young dick. Life was even fairly good when I was a poor kid.

Slow times I had to do shit like sort the rocks out of pinto beans and wash vegetables. When service was in full swing on weekends, I fucking busted my ass and was a grease covered slob. You could not wash it off easily. My grandmother, who I lived with, took pity on me and made some lye soap I could use to get clean. Those were some fun and brutal times.

>first day on job as night cook
>walk into kitchen
>lunch cook says watch the line for me
>grabs a large oval and a spoon
>pulls out 5 lortabs
>crushes that shit on the reach-in line
>snorts entire plate of crushed lortab
>doesnt offer me any
>calls later that night and asks me to cover his opening shift
>tell him no cuz no snorts
>tfw fired next day
>pic related

Kek, they are some fucking jews with their happy. But they get paid shit, so maybe it's uderstandable.

I got into it when I was 14, currently a uni student and work part time at a restaurant.

What makes it enjoyable is usually the people, if you work with shitty people you won't enjoy it but if you work with nice people it is great. I think the same applies to any job. You meet a diverse range of people instead of generic suburbanites.

I work at a restaurant that is part of a golf course, and the amount of nonsense you can do after hours is ridiculous. Golf cart racing, chasing down people illegally on the course just to fuck with them, etc

Depends where you work though, my place is family owned and so on.

Also hot girls

Fuck Shane! Little bitch ass

I can remember one time when I first got into the industry that there was an extremely slow night, like one or two customers over the 4 hours of dinner shift. It went like this
>Be dishwasher
>middle of winter
>No customers, nothing to do, everything is clean as fuck
>The Sous chef is dicking around using one of the two office chairs on wheels and having another line cook push him around
>Front and back of house laughing
Sous makes armor outta tin foil, a tin foil helmet and a tinfoil sword.
>Challenges me to a jousting match
>They know I'm a fucking nerd and like that fantasy shit
>Accept his challenge
>Make own tinfoil knight shit and get other chair
>The time has come
>We each get on opposite sides of the line serving area and ram full on into each other I go careening into a server the sous hits the wall that was behind me.
>Everyone laughing except the collateral damage server
>We close early that night and I go home with a bitching headache.
>Worth the fucking fifteen minutes of entertainment in that boring ass night.

kek, if it really happened.

Yeah and also pregnant, so her ass and tits bigger

Like fruit ninja!

Very much this. It's all on the people you work around. I work at a open mic restaurant so a lot of drunk college kids.

leave before you develop a drug addiction, please.
My brain is fucked, I've been sober a year in February and I can't get my life together. I had to move into my parents attic, and i haven't left the attic in over a month.

I like the semi-unprofessional working environment. Most of the time it's just bantz with the bros while hammering out orders of delicious food while also snacking on said food. I make 13 dollars an hour warshing dishes at one job. Factories, I'm assuming, have workplace guidelines and shit so you can't fuck around and bullshit with your friends while you work.

No factories in this college town. It was this or literally burning tires.

Stop blaming the drugs and your life might get better.

I used to do hard drugs, but I've been clean for 5 years. I still work in a kitchen, but all I do is blaze anymore. I don't even drink alcohol. I get a few jabs about it sometimes, but overall no one really gives a shit. The kitchen I'm currently in is pretty odd though because there aren't any hard drug users and only a couple alcoholics. The alcoholics don't drink on the job like my friends and I used to when I was an alcoholic. A couple of the guys have never even done an illegal drug in their life. Most of them come from money and went to cooking school out of a love for food. This is the first "higher" end kitchen (not a shithole) that I've worked in, so maybe things are different at this level, but I'm pretty sure I just lucked out and it's a rare thing.

Because its what I love doing. I couldn't imagine doing anything else. I work all the time and I don't mind it one bit. Its hard work but enjoyable. I also make way more than 18/hr.

thanks, will try. good advice

i have done literally this before

also
>dismantle a hollow metal broom
>attach the hollow broomstick to a fully charged CO2 canister
>mount said canister onto an office chair
>jam wine cork into the end of the broomstick
>wheel the CO2 cannon around wearing cardboard box helmets
>chanting the melody from Ride of the Valkyries
>firing corks at waitresses
>sous chef ' do you smell that? you smell that? hashbrowns, son. nothing else in the world smells like that. i love the smell of hashbrowns in the morning'
>mfw

So you gonna fuck her? Or is she just something nice to look at? I would be so fucking into her if she was actually good on the line

Oh so you're a cuck. LMFAO.

>get first job working in shitty by-the-slice pizza place
>owner never there, when he shows up to drop off supplies he looks insane. red in the face and sweating with bug eyes, never talks to anyone unless he suddenly starts screaming like a lunatic.
>everyone working there is an idiot, including me
>woman who hired me leaves to have a baby a month later and they put the retarded drug addict mexican manlet in charge
>keeps stealing from the register and bragging about it to everyone
>suddenly new manager shows up, shipped in from another location in another state
>pretty sure she's actually from "corporate" and investigating to find out who is stealing from the register
>bitch is creepy. constantly smiling and fake nice to everyone, but eyes look like a demon is hiding inside her
>somehow mexmanlet makes friends with her and they buddy up
>over the course of a month, everyone gets fired for bullshit reasons
>I come in one day to check the new schedule and I'm not on it
>walk over to them to find out wtf?
>mexmanlet starts up with "I cant believe you did that, user." with a sickening fake disappointed expression.
>bitch manager says I'm fired for "leaving her all alone" after a closing shift when I asked her, after I had finished all my closing duities, if I could leave, and she said "Yes", because "I said it sarcastically and I couldn't believe you just left!" Fucking Bullshit.
>get a new better paying job two days later thanks to a friend, no harm done
>not sure if stupid cunt ever figured out her friend was the thief, but a few months later the place closes down
>read in the local paper that they are in trouble for not paying proper taxes
>find out from someone who came into work after me that they didn't get their last few paychecks
>rumor starts going around that the place was actually a drug laundering front, and the boss was connected to some cocaine cartel

I want to but her boyfriend is a muscle head

So this user is right I'm a cuck

Got a few stories, one about a deliveryman who is a complete asshole most of the time and alright half of the time. And an italian girl who is trying to sleep with everyone in the store

I recognize this.

What is this from?

Who the fuck wears jeans in the kitchen?

>Dishwasher at a waterfront restaurant, usually fairly busy during the weekends and quiet during the week
>2 weeks ago I'm finally getting full time work, working dinner service monday to thursday on my own.
>Should be easy since they're never even half full on a weekday.
>Barely any staff because the management doesn't need them, fair enough
>Suddenly at 8pm on a monday the restaurant is completely full, something like 200 covers and only like 2 waiters
>Back of house is completely swamped, I'm there until like 4am cleaning the place up
>This goes on for a week, they never bring in more staff

I only found out what happened, the owner cut a deal with a local security firm to send all of the customers at a local music festival across town to our restaurant, and didn't tell management. Honestly felt like quitting.

fucking n00b, you don't get to ask for dabs on your first night, and you cover shifts until you earn your respect, you deserved to get wrecked

A kitchen owned by a Persian

looks like leggings printed to look like jeans

who the fuck wears leggins in the kitchen?

ratchets

They definately are jeggins, I own a couple for around the house. They're great you should try them! But in a kitchen they're just stupid.

Unf

>grill cook at Outback Steakhouse for one year
>opened another well known steak chain in my shitty little town in Arizona
I'm basically an ice-cold emotionless fucker who sticks his fingers in everybody''s assholes. Ask me anything.

Please tell me you don't wash your hands after sticking your fingers in assholes

Veeky Forums is a male only forum. Please stop posting here. Cooking is a male skill.

I got pj pants that look like jeans at a glance. Pretty good if you have to run an unexpected errand after you've already changed off into your comfy clothes.

i can tell by the boots thats a ratchet-ass bitch.

stay away friends.

I do fucking nothing

i make beautiful food, work in one of the best golf courses in the area, I golf for free my work does my laundry and I look like a professional compared to guys wearing bowling shirts that say 'vic' while they stamp metal

yeah I only make $13 an hour but I also didn't graduate high school

not to mention I eat an obscene amount of free fine foods from leftovers of a $10,000 buffet of filet mignon

i've been carrying the steward team for two years at my property with near zero chance of promotion. they keep hring-and-firing less-qualified people than me for basic-bitch morning pantry work. i actually asked the sous chef if our insurance covered doctor-assisted suicide today.

two years without movement is unacceptable

if you aren't growing your dying, talk to them about a promotion or find a better restaurant

Or go manage an Arby's, so many times have I wanted to quit to go manage a fry joint and just be in charge of retards and eat French fries all day

Because it's fun and there's a good amount of lesbians

My coworker who is a piece of shit.

working on this, but i'm already AT the best venue within 100 miles of where i live.
i've already been management at a pizza shack. i really don't enjoy being a tard-wrangler.
i have previous experience doing line work at less-impressive venues, but that stuff was years back and i can only get so much value out of text and reference manuals without practical application (ie. technique, professional chef, flavor bible, ratio, etc.).

i think i'm probably just gonna bail after this summer. got some shit i have to get paid off, then i can fuck off to somewhere else.

I'm from a poor as fuck town and been doing factor work for 6 years. I only get paid $9 an hour, so working in a restaurant is something I'm trying to get into to supplement my income.

I'm in Arizona too. Whereabouts?

>easy factory assembly work is available at $15 - $18/hour?
it takes YEARS to get into Dow, DuPont, or GM. like the time you spend working a shitjob while you're on the waiting list for that Nexteer plant could be spent working a shitjob and going to college.

if they're not investing in you after that much time, you need to leave. if you're going so far as to buy technical manuals trying to improve yourself, you should consider a degree in hospitality management (arts degrees are garbage if you don't come from money).