Squash thread

Does Veeky Forums like squash?
what's your favorite type? recipe?
I like roasted butternut with some salt, pepper, cumin. easy and tasty as fuck.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qQbtPCC2TYU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I love zucchini. I don't even season it, that's how much I love zucchini.

I'll squash you mate

My favorite by far is spaghetti squash. Bake it, scoop the guts out, mix with marinara, put back in the squash, top with peppers, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini, add more marinara, top with provolone, and bake some more. Not some faggot vegetarian, I will eat a steak or chicken breast on the side.

i canned a giant pumkin in the fall

mostly make cookies with it

I had squash for the first time last week. It looked like it had been shredded or something akin to hashbrowns. What kind of squash is that?

baked buttercup is to me the greatest of all squash

A well roasted squash is god tier. Cube with cooked beetroot, sundried tomatoes, cooked chestnuts, feta, some mild greens and a wholegrain mustard dressing and you have yourself a fucking great salad.

Probably spaghetti squash

That's butternut pumpkin, not squash

I have two butternuts. Never cooked them before. How do?

Easiest way is to cut them in half, scoop the shit out, salt, pepper, oil, put them flat side down on a pan, and bake until soft. Once they are cooked the meat scoops right out. It's a lot easier than peeling them raw. You can also steam them if you don't want extra calories from oil. Just have to cut them into one inch thick slabs.

how do you prepare the flesh after cooking? do you add anything or eat it plain?

That's up to you. It's like sweet potato. I would try it plain first, and then decide what to do with it next time. I like cumin seed on mine, but I really like cumin seed. Mashing is an option as well. They are really good tho. I picked one up this evening to cook with supper tomorrow.

plain is fine, butter and pepper makes it noticeably better but it's basically just a sweet mush so you can do with it what you will

Toss with cumin, throw in oven, cook some garlic and onion, add stock, add squash, blender the fuck out of it. Soup.

I love leaving whole squashes in the oven for a few hours... Just make sure to puncture them with something or they'll explode.

I love it. I usually use it to make soup:

-cut squashes in half, scoop out seeds. Roast in oven.
-meanwhile cook some mirepoix and chorizo in the soup pot
-scoop out the cooked squash, add to the soup pot. Pour in stock.
-bring to a simmer, puree, season.

Butternut and zucchini.

Soup from butternut and a very specialized dish with Vermont cheddar with the zucchini. Some of my most knockout dishes use squash.

youtube.com/watch?v=qQbtPCC2TYU

My favourite way to do it

acorn squash roasted w/butter & brown sugar is pretty good desu

You can make some pretty good soup with squash. I don't have a recipe but my aunt's recipe is pretty tasty. It looks like baby food, but it's good.

what would be a good knife for processing large squashes?

like a cleaver? i have no idea

Depends on the squash. Most you can cut with an ordinary Chef's knife. Some harder ones might require a cleaver.

Cooked squash cuts like butter.

i did this 25lb fucker with a chef knife and it sucked

That's a big bastard. I certainly wouldn't call that "most" squash.

My favorites are butternut squash and acorn squash. I love making butternut squash risotto, and the acorn squash I like to bake coated in a honey glaze.

I just rock in the knife until its stuck then bang the whole thing on the counter.

you fuck pumpkins?

you don't?

I fuck other people's jack-o-lanterns

For butternut, I just peel them with a wide peeler and use a sharp chef's knife. No biggy. But if you're like the average homecook, your knife isn't sharp enough to cut something as soft as human flesh.

>but user, sharp knives are dangerous!

i ate them alot in november
mainly roasted
desu i prefer potato/sweet potato as my main starch
squashes have a weird texture, on the plus side they are pretty low in calories for their weight, but i dont find them anywhere near as satisfying.

bottom verdict
sweet potato>butternutsquash

Those pattypan squashes, steam the shit out of them, mix with butter, salt, and pepper. They get so soft you have to slurp them up, uuuugh so good but i can't get them till late summer, OP you bitch

oh plus they look like a preschooler tried to build a ufo so thats good too