Cooking Bacon

Do you bake your bacon or pan fry it Veeky Forums?

I think there are benefits to both methods. Although when I precook bacon for sandwiches I like to bake it because I feels its more flavorful.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2guC4Badq2s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

For me it depends on how thick the bacon is. I cook thick cut bacon in the oven, but I cook thin cut bacon in a skillet.

Just took these out of the oven. I love how flat they are. They're crispy and filled with flavor!

Hmm i need to try this. Ive only baked thin bacon

It's called bakin, not fryin.

If I plan on eating it whole, I prefer to bake it. 400F (204C) for 18 minutes makes it perfectly crisp. I only use the skillet if I've chopped it up for soup or plan on using it as a topping.

I know the results are good so its a valid method, but...
Doesn't this fuck up your oven? I can imagine how brown and black burned on grease and polymerized fat coats every surface, including the glass. That shit is impossible to remove, no "self-cleaning" cycle can do it and I'm certainly not going to put on gloves and scrub with chemicals. My thousand dollar range is fairly new and still pristine. Maybe I'm wrong, but this seems like a bad idea if you care about your oven, also risking smoke and fire.
I will stick to the pan. Besides, I almost always re-use the pan and fat to cook something else immediately after the bacon comes out of it. You on the other hand will be left with a big mess of foil and a big greasy sheet that's harder to wash. Not to mention my fucking pets WILL make it their goal in life to get that foil out of the trash can.

I rarely bake bacon because I find the skillet to be faster and produces just as good results. That said, I've never had a problem removing brown and black burnt on grease from cooking any number of other things in the oven. The self-cleaning cycle works just fine for me.

Also, note that if you get proper bacon--that's actually been slowly cured and smoked--it won't shrink, curl, or splatter when you cook it. Splattering happens with cheap bacon that's made by injecting it with a curing solution. It runs through a machine with thousands of needles that inject it with flavored water. The water is what causes the splattering. Hot grease doesn't splatter on its own (picture a deep fryer, for example) It only splatters when water gets in it. Look at "how it's made: bacon" on youtube to see how most cheapass bacon is produced. That's where the real problem is. Get old-school bacon and you won't have that problem. I mail-order mine from Benton's. No splatter, and the taste is incomparable.

I was a janitor for a few years at a chemical free place. You mix baking soda into water to make a paste, rub it all over, and scrub your hot oven with a vinegar soaked steel wool. Eventually it comes off just fine. The heat is crucial as it creates steam to loosen grease and etc

>crispy bacon

dropped

Pan.
Put bacon in cold pan; cover with water
put on high heat
when the water evaporates it leaves a nice coating of fat on the bacon that begins to sizzle
when it sizzles at you then you turn down the heat.
Wait for bacon to color the way you like it

Crispy bacon on the outside and nice and tender in the middle.

you don't like crispy bacon?

How do you Americans enjoy such shitty, streaky bacon?

Not trolling, just genuinely wondering. Are decent cuts of back bacon hard to find?

>dropped

Dropped on your head as a child?

We have both belly bacon and streaky bacon.

I prefer the streaky bacon, the combination of fat and meat is more pleasurable to me than the leaner back bacon. But both of them have their uses.

Generally, if i'm just cooking a few sliced to have with my eggs in the morning I'll throw em in the skillet and use the bacon grease to cook the eggs.

I will bake bacon if I plan on making a large amount of it for sandwich toppings or chopped bacon for salads and whatnot

I'm amerifat and make my own back bacon from porkloins. Pic shows them smoking yesterday after a 2 week cure.

Having said that, I also have a belly curing right now that I'll be cold smoking in a few days. It's probably illegal for you to smoke meat in Albion, since your air has been unbreathable since the 1850's, but we still have clean air in most of our country.

Nice stuff fellow charcuteriebro. I've been mostly curing pork belly recently for the holidays as christmas gifts myself. Ending up curing, smoking and parceling out 30lbs of pork belly to make christmas bacon for friends.

Great stuff, and so unbelievably simple to do. Inexpensive too. The last whole belly I bought only cost $2.99/lb.

I really want to rig up a dedicated refrigerator with a humidifier/humidistat and digital thermostat so I could do some old world hams and dry cured sausages. I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap used refrigerator. Pic related, the pork belky prior to the application of the cure.

BAKIN BACON

>Pan.

Nice and hot!

OP here.

Ate some more of it today. I think I cooked it for a little too long. It was still full of flavor though, but broke incredibly easy.

I still think baked bacon is the best for sandwiches.

user likes to let his bacon swim before cooking it

ham isn't bacon, gord

Holy shit it's true
youtube.com/watch?v=2guC4Badq2s

inb4 over cooked

I grill it.

How is bacon such a meme in America when they do it so badly?

I am a complete pleb when it comes to bacon:

I just put it between two sheets of kitchen paper and put it in the microwave for a minute. The kitchenpaper soaks some of the grease which I like because I hate soggy bacon.

When you put it in for 2 minutes it becomes pure crisp which crumbles on touch but is savory and salty and can be used to dust other meals with.

>pass the pigs
patrician tier