Official Tea Thread

No tea bags allowed. This thread is about drinking real tea, if you're still using bags then you need to reassess your life.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Z0Bk4lJWBe8
yunnansourcing.com/en/greentea/3475-certified-organic-matcha-green-tea-powder-usda-and-eu-certified.html
oolongowl.com/tag/matcha/
pastebin.com/SWNA0rLX
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Who here /grwentea/?

In al seriousness, what is the hest way to store it?
Glass jar? Does it have to not be transparent?
Wooden box?

>tea bags
Fuck you the ones I get at the cafe by work aren't bad. Also I don't want to be an autist who carries a teapot to work.

I met a girl at a conference that brought her coffee grinder...

I love /diy/ so I would probably make something to be the pretentious tea drinker I am but without anyone noticing

>No tea bags allowed
Sorry pal but the only good kind of Earl Grey comes in bags.

Something transparent is probably a bad idea. Just make sure its completely sealed and has no access to sunlight. If you have it in a glass jar in a pantry it'd probably be fine.
It being sealed is most important. Keeps out bugs, other smells, open air.

>Also I don't want to be an autist who carries a teapot to work.
You can just get a tea cup with an infuser.

Fuck y'all. I make tea using my aeropress.

What does /tea/ think of a pot like this? Is it worth using or would it be better to use a separate strainer?

I love that design of tea pot, and it would work well. I personally use a french press so the leaves can properly expand and agitate in the water while steeping.

I pop my digital thermometer in a pot of water then take it out when it hits the desired temp for the tea. Brew in the french press then serve after 2-3 min. Perfect every fucking time.

One of those hario hand grinders? Or did she bring an electric burr grinder...

what to look for in a tea table? or what could serve as a ghetto makeshift tea table?

Rec me some loose-leaf tea?

I enjoy Chai, Earl Grey, Irish Breakfast...

I don't know, I'm a pleb. REC ME SOME SHIT NIGGAS. Gotta be rich in flavor though.

do japs actually care about tea ceremony as much as anime has led me to believe

>do japs actually care about tea ceremony as much as anime has led me to believe
nobody who knows is willing to go through an answering ceremony to reply

Either way, if I saw a girl do this I would find it extremely attractive

If you're just getting into tea and want my recommendation, I say get some milky oolong (jin xuan). It's oolong with a natural creamy floral flavor, sometimes steamed over milk to enhance the flavor further. It's sublime but also inexpensive and relatively easy to find. I can almost guarantee you will love it.

Jesus you autists can be pretentious about anything. And British

I like early grey but mostly drink English breakfast.

Gunpowder green has been my favorite for the past couple weeks. Also have sunflower honey for it which works well.

does tea go back? cause I have some from the straight up 90s

Bad? It depends on the type and how it's stored, but yes it can become stale.

Currently i use a bread cutting board that fits snug into a metal baking dish, works great, i'm having a large one made out of glazed clay soon

I prefer the spiral strainer ones but I dont really care about sediment/leaf bits escaping, one like yours would work better if you do care as it has a finer mesh

Recommend me a thermometer pls

I can't fucking get my tea kettle clean. stored in on top of a cupboard and when I took it down it was mysteriously completely covered in grease. and despite scrubbing it all over with soap shit just smells bad when I pour hot water into it.

Just get a kettle with different temperature setting for each type of tea.

youtu.be/Z0Bk4lJWBe8

I already have a kettle without that

Do they not make kettles that you can just set the temperature on instead of using presets?

Just go buy one of those metal stick thermometers, that's what I use.

Posted this before, bought loose leaf and because reasons it lost most of its flavor; could I compensate by using more leaves or would that release a shitton on tannins

Right now, I'm drinking an Imperial Blend, that's 40% Assam, 40% Darjeeling, and 20% Earl Grey. Perfect for mid-morning and noontime drinking. But, I always start my day with a very strong pot of Assam (with a little milk). Later in the day, I drink mostly green teas, and at night I drink herbal tisanes because I'm a life-long insomniac.

>get some dong ding
>first time I have tried a tea where the leaves where rolled into tiny balls
>no idea how much to use
>look on the package
>use 2 heaping teaspoons per cup of 90ºC water
>seems a bit much
>ill just use 1.5 teaspoons
>even that is way to much
>leaves can't even unfurl fully
>inside of teapot is a massive tangle of leaves

I fully admit to reading that at first as get some ding dong and I laughed far harder than I should have. I feel you on the tea that's rolled into balls though, fucked it up like the first two cups before I said fuck it and just googled what other people used.

So, not sure if related, but it IS about tea, so...

After visiting Japan last year and loving the Matcha I got there, I ordered some on ebay from Japan.

Now the seller has almost 1k of positive reviews and it looks high quality. But at the bottom, according to google translate, it says Sell-by date (basically) with pic related numbers.

I researched some and can only find that officially, in japan the date is written like here in Euro, so d-m-y. But I got my doubts that someone who seems professional sold me 4 year old Matcha...

do they write sell-by/best-before dates as y-m-d? On my other edible things I bought in Japan and brought here like sweets and things, they certainly don't :P

When I lived in Tokyo for five years working as an animator for a well known studio I would drink matcha everyday.

is it just me or does twinnings earl grey taste like ass

all i get from it is sour oranges (ie B E R G A M O T)

I was on twinnings english breakfast for a while there an enjoying it, now i get this earl grey and its trash

redpill me on supermarket teas Veeky Forums

I had tea once

It was awful

you'll never be a graceful young lady with that attitude.

Twinings English Breakfast is kind of trash; the leaves are so small that you have to brew it for about two minutes or it just gets disgusting. Their lady grey is good, though.

Are we talking loose leaf?

prebagged stuff, supermarket tea

Lipton's can be okay, generally I would avoid it. Otherwise hard to recommend a brand since I don't know if it exists where you are.

Twinings is in my opinons okay if you can get the slightly weirder things. My mum drinks their Lady Grey like mad. Yorkshire Tea is only for when people you don't care for come over... :P

I love me some earl grey in the morning. Its loose leaf so i have hemp tea bags that i steep them in

>ebay

Bro please stop

yunnansourcing.com/en/greentea/3475-certified-organic-matcha-green-tea-powder-usda-and-eu-certified.html

Meanwhile the food hipsters are paying $30 for a 80g tin because they only know memes

They exist, but why would you need any other temperature?

I don't know, but when I do I want to have a kettle that can provide it. Before I got into tea I would have asked why you need anything other than a pot on the stove or a microwave to heat up water.

+ it's got enough space for the leaves to circulate and separate
- the leaves won't dry in the bottom of that if you're trying to keep them for later infusions so you'll have to transfer them to something else if you want to keep them for more infusions

I like a one with a mesh bottom too so you can dry it right in the mesh thing.

What. You can't heat unpresurized water more than ~100°.

Any good white Tea recommendations? It's the only kind I don't have much of.

Those numbers are in Fahrenheit, water boils at 212 °F.

silver needle

wow that site is cheap. is the quality okay?

Ooh. I see now. It was destroying my brain. Now I just feel stupid.

My favorite tea is earl grey, but sometimes it makes me feel a little funny in the head
It's from caffeine I suppose
Is there a earl grey like tea with less caffeine?

That site is very nice but they specialize in puer and yunnanese teas, wouldnt buy matcha from them
oolongowl.com/tag/matcha/
Read a few reviews from thhis website on matchas in your pricerange and make your pick

Bai Mudan is pretty fucking good without the price of silver needle

you can get decaffeinated earl grey

more leaves - sure.
longer steep time - no. that's where you'll get the tannins

This is NOT japanese matcha, it is made from chinese tea and has, according to reviews a different profile to it.

Check the pastebin for japanese tea vendors.
pastebin.com/SWNA0rLX

depends on the amount of water. for a gaiwan, use 6 grams. I'd always recommend oolongs in a gaiwan since you can really control many of the factors that make oolongs cool (short steeps but much can be resteeped many more times that other teas etc.) where did you get your dong ding from? I'm looking for a good bang for buck Taiwan oolong suplier.