Sloooow Cooker

Are slow cookers/crockpots a meme? Do they actually produce tastier food that just simmering stuff in a pot?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html#comment-anchor-300054
youtube.com/watch?v=BRm9X7VI3eQ
thesweethome.com/reviews/best-pressure-cooker/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I want to know this too. I usually use a big pot on with a low gas heat, but what are the advantages with slow cookers?

I'm way too paranoid to leave a burner on all night or when I'm not at home. With a slow cooker you don't risk burning your house down.

Also, it's good for students who don't have a stove

lower electricity bills. Collagen on a tough meat cut breaks down over 8 hours like a terrorist trying to enter an American Airport.

Pretty dope desu

Great for simmering tomato sauces like Bolognase or chili for ages. Great to throw a couple racks of ribs in our even a full chicken. It really does make cooking retaradly easy.

Just like everything in your kitchen, great for certain things but useless for others.

more efficient, already in a pot to store it in. less pots to clean.

I've made ribs in the pot. What's your recipe?

*I've never

throw ribs in cooker, throw some other things in, throw some spices in, press cook.

They're good for shit like chilis and slow cooking meats.

Crock Pots were originally call Bean Pots, that's what they're best at. I like Crock Pot oatmeal, kick off steel-cut AKA pinhead oats about 10pm, wake up to delicious ultra-cheap food. Add honey.

Fewer.

Crock pots are degenerate.

You sound like a working class chump. I bet you thought it would be a great "investment", how you would wake up to a warm, healthy breakfast to start off your long day. Maybe, you even had a couple thoughts about all the other nifty little uses you could find for the thing, how it would help you cook healthier meals in general, shed a couple pounds off the old gut, boost your confidence around work and with the ladies. Yeah, maybe that slow cooker would start your life cooking again, wouldn't it? I can see your strained hands holding the box and reading through it carefully at the store. A little bit pricey, but you're the type of guy who thinks everything is more than you can spend, aren't you. And look what happened to you. Look what the slow cooker did to you. Fucked you over, and made you clean it like a useless bitch. You don't even fucking like oatmeal. Piece of shit, you've been repeating those three words your whole life, haven't you. Yeah, how was work after that piece of shit fucked you over? I bet it was on your mind the whole day, you probably didn't say shit to nobody. Can't be telling people about your mistakes. How your little fix yourself plan, failed you. Don't want people to start thinking you're the failure. You're the piece of shit, all along. You don't want that do you? You don't want to be the piece of shit everybody secretly whispers about, do you? Was your father a piece of shit like you? I bet he never had a slow cooker. He had a woman, a house, a damn good job. I bet it's slow cooking you the fuck alive, isn't it. Comparing yourself to him. How one day when all the steam runs our of your life, you'll discover how you're nothing more than burnt shit to be scrapped off and thrown in the trash.

I agree, he sounded like a fag. The trump pepe only furthered my suspicion

salsa chicken

This.
I made some really good pulled pork chick with apple barbeque with my slowcooker but fucked up big time and ended up ruining a plate of spicy coleslaw.

make a beef stew with lots of potatoes and onion and carrot and maybe celery. nice and hearty, nothing like it. the beef just falls apart and the veggies are tender and flavorful too.

what price range am I looking at for a good one?

I have been given several over the years, and I don't ever use them. I use an oven.

Is it me, or does everything that gets cooked in a crock pot end up tasting like it was cooked in a crock pot?
It's a strange phenomena
Even when you brown your meats beforehand

I get better results just braising in a pan over the stove

I find they're great for making chicken stock. I collect and freeze the bones from several rotisserie chickens, and then add the bones/mirepoix/several cups of water. Let that cook on low for ~10 hours, turn it up to high and leave the lid cracked for 2-3 hours to thicken. It always works well.

They're comfy to use. Throw your ingredients in, set time, and go do your thing.

Its not about tastier at all. Its about convenience and safety when you leave the kitchen or sleep.
Of course you can do it in a stove top pot, but this is a little safer and very easy.

Same. Mine also has a probe function that's somewhat handy.

I usually bust mine out during late Feb early March for some good ol' crawfish etouffee.
I'm getting hard just thinking about it

I think this whole board is in a slow cooker.

>ITT: an insular flyover who have never used something as commonplace as a crockpot.
I can only imagine the STATE of your life.

who started this stupid thing about asking if stuff is a "meme"? it's gay and retarded. stop posting if you have to ask stupid questions.
what is your concern with slow cookers/crockpots?
what's the fucking question?
quit acting like an autistic nigger.

>Do they actually produce tastier food that just simmering stuff in a pot?

Nope. It's the exact same thing.

Grill friend made me 5lb of pulled pork and I ate it all in two days

I have no regrets

>slow cooking like a true flyover pleb

LOL

seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html#comment-anchor-300054

its not about being tastier. its about the convenience, lets you set it and forget when you have other shit to do, have to leave the house, or your stovetop/oven is just occupied with other shit

Slow cooker burn is a slow burn

Dutch oven baked in an oven is always better, but a crock pot is easier and uses less electricity. I use when I cook something while I'm at work every now and again.

I have excellent experience with them cooking meat. Super tender every fucking time. Making pulled pork is like a dream

this
Ham and beef just fall apart after a few hours in a crock pot. I like to cook a country ham and when it's done, take it out and cook pinto beans in the ham juice. Very good stuff.

im about to make youtube.com/watch?v=BRm9X7VI3eQ and i'm pretty sure it's going to be just fine after i smoke it to go into a crock pot instead of the oven or back on a grill.
crock pots are the shit.

i second this.
i almost always smoke my pork shoulders, but for everything else roast-wise, the slow cooker is badass.

your mom is a degenerate

I started with a crock pot, but then I did the match and you use less fuel with a pressure cooker, and the flavor gets pushed into your ingredients

Put your everything in that magic machine.

Great if you hunt and killed a particularly tough animal. It has other uses for those that don't, but since I do it's usually my go-to for that. It can tame even the toughest deer haunch.

how do you make sure these things dont become a literal bomb though? I'm scared of them but it's because I don't know anything about them.

get an electric one.

thesweethome.com/reviews/best-pressure-cooker/

I use them for chili generally.

Makes chili super easy and tasty in my opinion.

That's one of my fave pastas, up there with gorilla warfare

fuck off newfag

I don't even read these pastas. I've never read this one. Still, I just chuckled and kept scrolling.

Pressure cookers have a valve on top to regulate the pressure, and a second safety valve in case the main one gets blocked. As long as you can see daylight through the valve before you start, and you don't fill it full enough to get plugged with food, it won't explode.

Great for large portions of lean meat. Otherwise do regular, small, thinner cuts for taste

Is this a spicy new meme?

It saves time and money. Takes awhile to get used to. I'm still trying to perfect my Chili, it always ends up over cooked and grainy in texture.

>Should I buy a crockpot like a stupid overweight mayonnaise-american
>Oooooorrrrrrrrrrrrr should I just buy a pressure cooker like a normal human being

Hmm, tough choice guys.

I think they both have their uses. You can leave a dip or appetizer in a slow cooker on warm if you're having a party. My slow cooker also does pressure cooking

So your pressure cooker also does slow cooking?

>slow cooker vs pressure cooker

fucking plebs

>not an overweight mayonnaie-american
>serves cheese dip by the galon from a crocpot
>as an appetizer
Thanks for the laughs, hamplanet.

>You can leave a dip in a slow cooker on warm

>being such a shut-in that you literally cannot fathom a scenario where you would bring food to a gathering that should stay warm

You can find a decent one for $20 USA.
There are larger sizes, and multiple pot ones that let you cook 3 things at once.
There are pricier ones, they have extra bells and whistles.
I got mine for $40 at Sam's club, 6 quart with a low and high setting with 4 timer options. It came with a 1 quart dip warmer.

It's basically sitting it's it's own broth so yes. The whole point of the slow cooker is that the meat is broken down to a crumble because isn't meant to be cooked that long. Because it breaks down it absorbs everything in the pot taking the flavor instead of being a seperate sauce.

A for effort, but basic crockpots are like $20. throw in a $2/pound cheap chuck meat and you have your protein. They are pretty good

i dont know about tastier but its nice to be able to put stuff in it in the morning and have a hot meal ready for me when i come home after a day at the office right when i walk in the door

shut up bitch

Convenience of just setting the crock pot and walking away
Safer than leaving an open flame running for long periods of time, especially unattended
more even heating since the ceramic will hold the heat and warm from all sides
great for transporting stuff for the same reason, the ceramic will hold heat and keep it warm longer plus if needed you can just plug it in and set it to warm

The usefulness will vary wildly depending on what you need it for and how much you spent on the thing, but it does have advantages sometimes.

Poor college student here. Made some chili for the first time in a slow cooker. Cost maybe $12 for meat, canned beans and tomatoes, onion, and garlic. I already had the spices. Total victory, because, while it's not 5 star fine dining, it was tasty, relatively inexpensive and I have dinner for the rest of the week now. Not to mention it was incredibly easy.

Next on my list to try in the slow cooker is some sort of pasta dish or casserole. It really is quite foolproof, so long as you set a timer.

The primary function of a crockpot is to have something like beans, stew/soup, or a roast cook over the course of a workday without worrying about setting your home on fire to be ready to serve when you get home. It is good for those sort of things and you can google recipes online.

Where the fuck did you get the idea that it was a meme? Slowcookers have been a thing since at least the 80s, and are generally a good convenience item.

I mainly use them for chili and stews

Nice pasta, can I save it ?

>$2/pound
That kind of price means nasty ass CAFO meat around these parts. Decent chuck from responsibly raised animals costs around $10/lb. I'd rather just go vegetarian if there's no good meat.

I put in a pork roast, chop up some onions and cabbage and a mixture of broth and water, then season and maybe throw in some paprika and carraway seeds

What's the difference between crock pot, slow cooker, and pressure cooker?
other than what the name implies of course

Pretty sure crock pot and slow cookers are the same thing.

A Pressure Cooker is capable of slow cooking and at the same time can also Pressure Cook which speeds up the cooking process.

If you're only going to buy one get the Pressure Cooker.

crock pot is a specific brand name of slow cooker. they're the same thing. All they do is mimic having a pot sitting on the stove on a very low heat.

A pressure cooker, as the name implies, has a lid that locks down and cooks the food under pressure. That lets the temperature get above the boiling point of water. It's the literal opposite of a slow cooker. It cooks hot and fast. They are also used for home canning of foods because they can get hot enough to ensure that the contents of the jars are sterile.

This. I would never leave my house with a pot simmering on the stove.

I make a crockpot spaghetti sauce that's really good. I also use it to make basic stews. Just rough chop everything the night before, toss it in the crockpot before i go to work and cook on slow for 8 hours. Also great for making pulled chicken breast bbq. That being said, I'm pretty lazy and don't use mine that often and they take up a lot of space so i keep mine on a closet shelve and tend to forget about it.

>A Pressure Cooker is capable of slow cooking

For most pressure cookers that is not true.

Though you can get some automated ones that can do both.

>This. I would never leave my house with a pot simmering on the stove.

This is so strange to hear. Why are people OK with leaving one kind of heating appliance alone unattended but are afraid of leaving another heating appliance unattended? Seems strange.

Are you aware that your water heater is working constantly even while you're away?

>warm food obviously equals a crocpot full of cheese dip
I'm sorry trailertrash-kun, but there's no talking yourself out of this one now. You're so white trash that even Honey Boo Boo would be ashamed to live in the same park as you.

Because an open flame can get blown out, filling your house with gas.

>filling your house with gas
No. It can blow out, yes, but it can not fill your house with gas. The bimetal valve closes the gas supply if there's no flame. I'm not saying it's a good idea to leave a gas stove unattended.

So why aren't people with gas stoves paranoid about their pilot light?

Or about their gas central heating?

Or about their gas water heater?

without reading the thread, yes and no. they are good for certain people and for certain situations for sure. so no.

but, like, holy fuck there are so many god awful slow-cooker recipes out there. completely inedible garbage recipes and endless amounts of slow-cooker recipe books and magazines, so many it will make your mother fucking head spin. so in that sense, yes it is a meme.

I use mine for chicken mostly

Slow cooked chicken thighs are amazing even with just some shitty bbq sauce

For breasts I usually make shredded chicken and then put it in whatever for the next few days. On top of salad or in a tortilla usually

Thanks. I have some chicken thighs and was thinking of making them in my cooker.

Nah, plenty of older stoves have flames that can get blown out.

Because a low flame on top of a cooker is easy to get blown own by an open window or an ant farting

Usually searing (a most necessary step) meat takes too long in the morning so I'd rather just save stews and roasts for weekends. Some desserts are good though.

If you get the cheap ones. My family saved for an expensive(ish) metal one and it tastes great. I feel kind of ashamed of it at the same time cause it makes me feel like we are becoming one with the burgers

A slow cooker regulates itself to temps from 190 to 250 (Fahrenheit, and more/less, depending on brand, setting, etc) while a gas flame, be it ever so small, is a much higher temperature.

A hand towel (for example) dislodged by a cat and fallen against a slow cooker will just sit there and be hot while the same situation can lead to a house fire once there is a flame involved, even a small one. A dried-out meal, cooked too long with cover ajar perhaps, just dries and darkens and gets gross in a crockpot while on your stove it will really char, and smoke, and burn.

Anyone notice slow cooker meals have a distinct smell to them? It's not like a "new" smell either. My pot is 3-4 years old and it still happens.

They will produce the same food as just simmering in a pot.
Low-end crockpots, no real difference. High-end crockpots will maintain a certain temp though, which makes them superior to just simmering on a stove.

I thought it was dangerous to cook beans in a crockpot because they don't get hot enough.

>carrots become soft
>potatoes and carrots soak up the flavor of the meat
Fucking delicious

I live in Los Angeles.

A dude weed friend of mine made ribs with cannabutter and they were surprisingly tasty, I use it mostly for chilis because my stove is shit.

Meh, it happens.

When I go to a Subway restaurant, every sandwich smells the same. Tuna, BLT, Meatball, Veggie, they all smell the same.

I'm going to make London Broil in my slow cooker tomorrow. Beef broth and some Guinness, plus onion and garlic powder. I hope it's not weird.

Sounds awesome got a recipe there user?

1. Get ingredients
2. Dump in slow cooker