Why does everyone take everything on this site as gospel

why does everyone take everything on this site as gospel

it's constantly publishing, inaccurate and contradicting information and no one seems to notice or care because it's seems "scientific" (it's not)

literally a fake news site

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2014/09/soaking-black-beans-faq.html
seriouseats.com/2016/09/salt-beans-cooking-soaking-water-good-or-bad.html
seriouseats.com/2016/10/beans-legumes-pulses-varieties-recipes-cooking-tips.html
seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-you-can-and-sometimes-should-refrigerate-tomatoes.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Qk7Ninm4a_8&t=2m9s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Give 1 example, only 1, where they contradicted themselves.

Protip: you can't.

anything written not by J. Kenji Alt-Cuck, a stoner failed Olive Garden line worker, is p. good.
anything he writes is highly suspect

they have an article about why you should never soak beans and another article about making the best chili ever and how integral it is to soak the beans in salt water

they also put up TWO articles about not refrigerating tomatoes that contradict actual science

and they're probably responsible for the sous vide meme garbage

the worst site

it's an all right site, but dan gritzer and kenji are leftists. they've both blocked me on twitter

It's honestly the best site online to get a recipe.
I suppose if you don't like it you can use allrecipes or food.com or whatever, but I seriously haven't had any problems with anything I've found on serious eats in a pinch vs. the alternatives
Though I'm much more inclined to use a cookbook when possible, sometimes I have to think something up on the fly and they come through the most.

>they have an article about why you should never soak beans
link

seriouseats.com/2014/09/soaking-black-beans-faq.html
This might also be relevant.
seriouseats.com/2016/09/salt-beans-cooking-soaking-water-good-or-bad.html

their steak site is beyond retarded also
their reason why some beef is "purple" reads like something an autist on Veeky Forums would make up for (you)s
>protip: most 1st world countries don't allow dark cutter beef for a good reason

>i don't know how to use a computer and need to be spoon fed the internet

seriouseats.com/2016/10/beans-legumes-pulses-varieties-recipes-cooking-tips.html

They didn't say never soak beans. They said it isn't absolutely necessary. As far as refrigerating tomatoes, anyone who's ever tried it with some left on the counter and some refrigerated for a couple days picked from the same vine at the same time knows immediately the refrigerated are inferior.

Drop your alt-right blinders and start looking at the world with clear eyes. The only reason you started this thread is because you're a bored /pol/tard who wants to find something liberal to gnash their teeth about. The rock you crawled out from under is ----------> thataway.

serious eats and epicurious are pretty solid jumping off points, kind of like chef john

You said they have an article about why you should never soak beans. What they actually said was;
>we've found that black beans (and likely other thin-skinned beans, such as black-eyed peas, pinto beans, and lentils) can actually fare better without a soak.

You stupid lying faggot

First artical says don't soak your black beans, second article says that you don't need to soak some beans, LIKE BLACK BEANS. Its literally the first sentence of the first paragraph of testing:

>Although some types of beans don't require soaking before cooking (most notably black beans), I typically soak my dried beans to cut down on cooking time and ensure that they cook more evenly. This means we have two different opportunities to add salt to the beans: during soaking and during cooking.

Learn to fucking read you sperg

i'm not lying. it's contradictory article to article
i'm not going to read 100 articles about beans to prove a point on a mexican cake farting bbs

If you don't understand how different types of beans can be cooked differently maybe you should find a different board.

You did lie though. So you are a liar.

>they have an article about why you should never soak beans and another article about making the best chili ever and how integral it is to soak the beans in salt water
This is resolved in the second article itself.
>Although some types of beans don't require soaking before cooking (most notably black beans), I typically soak my dried beans to cut down on cooking time and ensure that they cook more evenly.
It's simply that certain beans are physically harder than others and benefit from soaking like brown vs. white rice. I soak most of my beans for the flavor and time savings EXCEPT for black beans.

>they also put up TWO articles about not refrigerating tomatoes that contradict actual science
I know the study you are talking about that shows how the genes that create flavor in the ripening tomato switch off under extended exposure to cold. Kenji actually did write an article addressing it (and even contacted it's author):
seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-you-can-and-sometimes-should-refrigerate-tomatoes.html
So tl;dr refrigerate really ripe ones for up to 3 days but you must let them return to room temp before eating, and leave them out if bought under-ripe
He did not address the issue regarding texture though where refrigerated tomatoes become mealy

ive seen articles sjesting you presure cook beans rather than soak, or , in the case of black beans, skip the soak ....not seeing a "never soak ur beans" article tho

So the question now is, is OP a lying little bitch or too stupid to understand there are different types of beans?

my point isn't about fucking beans my point is that retards like you read words like "science" and "labs" and eat this garbage up as if it's either of those things

>my dog didn't fart that much when i didn't soak the beans so that's the best way. science!

>is OP a lying little bitch or too stupid to understand there are different types of beans?
He's actually both

Science is about testing a hypothesis and logically interpreting the results. Theres nothing contradictory about revising the interpretation with new evidence, especially with a new experiment

Lets try this one more time.

Some beans have thin skins, they soak up water easy and fast and become soft.

Some beans have thick skins, They don't soak up water as fast and need some extra time to get soft.

Just because you don't understand how an experiment works doesn't mean its garbage. Most people also understand that sometimes different people working for the same publication can have different opinions, but then again you don't seem as bright as most people

so you admit it's different blogger's opinions, not science

>and they're probably responsible for the sous vide meme garbage

You don't know how science works if you think differing opinions in any way weakens it.

Besides that not even what happened in the article. You don't have to soak thin skinned beans, you should soak thick skinned beans.

Jesus next thing we know you'll be shitposting on here about how fish and pork have to be cooked differently.

Serious eats is fine. Kenji's basically a millennial America's Test Kitchen who struck gold by being in the right place in the right time--basically, he was able to ride the wave of a cultural and demographic shift towards millennial men wanting to cook. His focus on science and his love of burgers and ramen and shit is the sweet spot for nerdy dudes who have never cooked before, didn't learn from their parents, and need a reliable source of relatively foolproof recipes that will give them the confidence they otherwise lack in the kitchen. Not that their recipes are necessarily perfect--there's a lot misses on the site, but the emphasis on science gives it a veneer of objectivity that let people trust him in a way they wouldn't trust other online sources, given how shitty the recipes on food.com and allrecipes are.

Also, probably by the accident of kenji's personal taste, there's a heavy emphasis on umami flavors, which appeal to a relatively unrefined palate of someone who has heretofore been subsisting on heavily processed food. He's like a less hip, less cheffy David Chang--had the right combination of attributes at the right time.

Is there a handy chart, article, or infographic available that categorizes the major types of beans according to generally recognized skin thickness? Kenji only had this to say in passing:
>we've found that black beans (and likely other thin-skinned beans, such as black-eyed peas, pinto beans, and lentils) can actually fare better without a soak.
What about lima, navy, kidney, etc.?

>science
>opinions
stop. chefsteps/serious eats is the go to website for idiots that want to appear like they know how to cook but really have zero fucking clue what they're doing. everyone knows this. you can read this bullshit all day long and you will still not know how to cook until you actually get in the kitchen and do something

also they're shills for anyone willing to pay them so why the fuck would anyone trust their garbage opinions anyway.

>hey guys, I don't understand anything about the scientific method so when someone applies science, it means they use the same methodology as evangelical christians and the alt-right.

>unironically believing seriouseats is science

>umami
kys

Try your own experiments, soak some and don't soak some and see how they come out.

>Kenji's basically a millennial America's Test Kitchen
youtube.com/watch?v=Qk7Ninm4a_8&t=2m9s

Why don't you post the last thing you cooked?

Picture isn't great but its some braised chicken thighs with wild rice. It's not much but I'm proud of it.

Im pretty sure you don't cook at all.

this is the last thing i took a picture of

clam chowder with softshell clams i dug and canned last spring

Nice howd it taste?

Are dumplings hard to make from scratch? I've never had the chance to try it out myself.

made from scratch, but not by me. buy them from some chink lady

This is a solid analysis post, nothing to add, just wanted to give you a (You) that isn't OP's autismal screeching

Thats disappointing to hear.

tasty like the sea

indulgent since the only dairy i had on hand was half and half

Not 100% on what that means

Honest to god I've almost entirely replaced milk with half and half in most of the recipes I use. Its worth the marginal extra calories.

yeah, well, maybe

I haven't read any of this thread because I'm not a faggot and I'm important, but yes I take this site as gospel. If kenji told me to soak beans in my anus before making chili, well goddammit, my anus will have beans in it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make mistakes, they're human, not robots but their quality is top notch and above the others so I will give them the benefit of the doubt most of the time.

chefsteps do have nice videos though, I really enjoy watching them.

The cream in half and half is light cream anyway so it's barely fattier

10/10 post. This should be stickied as shitpost repellent

>have never cooked before, didn't learn from their parents, and need a reliable source of relatively foolproof recipes that will give them the confidence they otherwise lack in the kitchen
What is every cookbook ever, bloviating twat?

Are those tomatoes on top? Fucking kill yourself

Up until maybe the last 5 years, I'd say all the classic cook books from the chefs of yesteryears were about 75% filled with things I'd never actually want to cook. I liked cooking when I was younger and my parents bought me some cook books in high school but I only made the same few things

I seriously want to make most of the meals on SE and FW when they don't require insanely expensive equipment or ingredients

J. Kenji López-Alt is a godsend, clear, concise, his videos are on average only 3 minutes long, so fuck you guys.

Have you tried his pressure cooker mushroom risotto or the roast potatoes ? There's no going back to these methods.

>I'm not going to read articles on this issue to educate myself before I state my opinion as fact
Are you actually this stupid?

This thread is basically just people trying to explain to OP that he's misunderstood the articles but OP doesn't understand science well enough to get it.

muh feelings >>>>> hard facts

they're obviously carrots

go calibrate your monitor

>>protip: most 1st world countries don't allow dark cutter beef for a good reason
You're right that they don't allow darker cuts, but it's not for a good reason. Rather to quell the ignorant public. Same reason tonnes of produce is thrown out daily for being "malformed". When I moved to the US from Australia I asked a local friend why all their carrots are perfectly shaped and more expensive (same in UK too although apparently it's an EU thing they have to abide... for now).

Wow you really have to spell everything out for these F L Y O V E R S.