Is it worth it?

In Australia, good quality smokers are pretty expensive , since smoking aren't that popular here and most good smokers are from the states. A Weber Smokey Mountain costs around $590 here.
Should I buy it? I've never smoked meat before, and I've only had smoked salmon. Does smoking really produce a different flavour when compared to grilling?

Yes.
Yes.

Smoked meat flavours come from your wood, different woods produce different flavours and are often blended.

Theres also your rub or seasoning and BBQ sauce. You can convert a regular grill, propane or charcoal into a smoker. Try that first. Practice using Pork since its cheaper than Beef. A boston butt is about $10 here. Also look into the different styles, Kansas, Carolina or Texas style.

>Does smoking really produce a different flavour when compared to grilling

Yep. Hot and fast produces a radically different flavor and texture than low n' slow

If smokers are so expensive, just buy an oak whiskey barrel and make your own. Part of what i love about smoking is the DIY - my store bought smoker was $100, but then i welded all the seams and made a bunch of other changes.

You should make one yourself

different woods.. different brines.. hell even soak my chips in apple juice sometimes before i burn them. you can create so many different flavors bound only by creativity.

Yeah that too. I was just giving basic info.

Yes. If you have a family it's a nice investment and spend some parent time with them. Even if you dont, smoked meat is GOAT and you could show your family what it's like. Very fun experience.

I've used a Smokey Mountain for a few years now, mostly at work. Love it. Mostly use it for St. Louis pork ribs. 8 ounces of white Oak per load.
Oak.
That's where it's at.

Like other anons have said, you can make your own smoker if you're handy. You can also smoke with a charcoal grill, but its more work than a proper smoker.

You should absolutely get into smoking meats though. Its really more of a hobby than just a method of cooking.

With some skill and practice, you can get a great quality smoked meat using just a kettle grill.

You'll need a water pan, and you'll want to keep your coals to one side as far from the meat as possible. Flavor comes from the rub and the wood you choose. Just lay soaked wood chips over the coals. Keep the lid close, and airflow to a minimum to keep the heat down. Weber has guides on how to do it on their website.

This is the method I used until I got an offset smoker.

>that pic

man skills. This is where everyone should start. I hate people that just run out and buy an auto smoker and then try to pass off the end results as if they actually have bad skills. Fucker, you used a prepackaged rub, shit meat, and a wood puck feeder. get out of here.

or mad skills. stupid new laptop keyboard...

Nah, go full on redneck tech instead.

Impressive!

this is genius

Very silly

was gonna say something like this is your best option
It's not hard to build a smoker for cheap

I've seen a filing cabinet used as an offset before. I think it's a better way to go The guy did it with an old potbelly stove for the wood. I wouldn't want direct heat in a box not designed for it. It'll corrode and warp too quickly

Ive used some premade rubs, i havent found one I enjoyed more than my own. And yeah ive known a few guys who bought electric smokers... the product really doesnt compare to mine using a weber, or my offset smoker.

>electric smokers... the product really doesnt compare to mine using a weber, or my offset smoker.

What a bunch of horseshit. The electric is for convenience so you can more simply keep a constant temperature. If their product wasn't as good as yours it was for other reasons, not the smoker. I've modified mine by adding an offset firebox in which I maintain the fire manually so I can cold smoke (see pic) but the meat chamber heat for hot smoking is electric thermostat. That way it's also simple to smoke my homemade sausages because you don't want the temp to exceed 160F when doing that.

The first picture was funny, that is just depressing.

It really isnt the same. Its a practically a fucking oven. Only idiots who cant control the temp get those, fire and wood is much better than your oven.

Didnt you make this same thread like a month ago? Same pic and everything?

Come on OP, get your shit together.

Make one.

This works perfectly! After I modified it...

An offset box allows you to generate far more smoke, and the heat is blown in via convection without the use of a fan. It's just a better way to do it. The last thing I want in the smoke box is a heating element that's going to collect carbon or moisture and alter my flavors.

yes. the flavour from the wood is infused to the meat.

in australia you grill for about half an hour to an hour and your meal is done.

>smoked meat is the ULTIMATE in slow food.

the meat is dry rubbed, then soked for 14+ HOURS so it creates its own marinade and the flavours from the wood infuse into the meat. australia has wood that isnt found in the usa so you will be getting flavours you cannot find anywhere else

Good point on the wood. I've visited Australia many times on work trips, and ever since, I've wondered, what would smoke kangaroo be like? It's easily available in any grocery store, cheaper than most meats on display, and just awesome. you have to cook it rare, or it gets nasty, but slow smoked? I bet it would be awesome.

What's your issue with automated temperature control? I don't understand your argument.

What the FUCK

They don't have a fucking argument. I'd like to see them maintain 160F for homemade andouille or kielbasa sausage for 8 hours to reach an internal of 154F without ending up with a dry, greasy piece of garbage.

When making the standard smoked meats like ribs, butts, chicken and briskets, you can fluctuate from 200F - 250F and still produce an acceptable product. With things like homemade sausage you don't have that luxury.

It's just a lot more convenient with electric, but I do like a separate firebox since I cold smoke. Some sperges believe they are better at regulating temperature than a computer chip thermostat, lel.

The one thing I'll give them is it's slightly cheaper, but with far less convenience and flexibility.

I forgot about this shit.

>They don't have a fucking argument.
I know, I just wanted let them say something stupid so that I could slam them.

Tazzo? Naw... Canadian Bacon.

Yeah, it's back bacon. I have done Tasso before. In a couple days I'll be cold smoking some belly bacon.