Is it even possible to buy store bought ice cream that doesn't leave a horrible chemical aftertaste in your mouth?

Is it even possible to buy store bought ice cream that doesn't leave a horrible chemical aftertaste in your mouth?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SozZHZAWS64
youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5TMj4c5FE
foodsafetynews.com/2016/09/blue-bell-recalls-ice-cream-for-listeria-blames-supplier/
foodsafetynews.com/2017/01/cookie-dough-producer-on-notice-from-fda-for-listeria-issues/
foodsafetynews.com/2017/02/cookie-dough-company-closes-in-wake-of-recalls-for-listeria/
foodsafetynews.com/2016/12/blue-bell-asks-fda-if-it-can-return-testing-to-industry-norm/
movpod.in/nmwa0fz7i8sp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose
news.psu.edu/story/284556/2013/08/20/research/multiple-genes-manage-how-people-taste-sweeteners
youtube.com/watch?v=QZmYXcSX2zc
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ben and jerrys

Chalky. Not as much as the really cheap shit, but still noticeable.

Or Haagen Daas.

I dont experience that

Quit having autism

>store bought.

if you mean supermarket, well there's your problem.

Skip the fake fruit flavors and anything with HFCS (which tastes like Sugar Daddy's) or no calorie sweeteners (which taste like chemicals).

Pretty much all commercial ice creams have hydrocolloid stabilizer systems in them, but some are more well-learned than others. Hydrocolloids don't taste like anything.... They just have this weird, slimey mouthfeel.

Tillamook

*well-excecuted

Fucking autocorrect.

My PNW niggaaaa
FunFact: Tillamook's 'Utterly Chocolate' has a higher percentage of fat than all of their other ice creams. It's actually near the 'premium' grading standard, but the same price as all of the other flavors!

>mouthfeel
Neck yourself

Expressing that mouthfeel like a true mouth jobber!

>chemical aftertaste
>chemical

What does this even mean?

Do you know what a chemical is?

Well breyers is the dogshit of ice cream so don't assume all store ice cream is that level of awful

>Neck yourself
Kill yourself

Stop buying the genetically engineered, Phish-approved garbage made in Vermont. That crap is trash. Shit, I trust the Amish to make better ice cream than filthy hippies.

He means a bitter taste like you might find in soap or other cleaning/utility products, and you knew that.

>Or Haagen Daas.
The nonsense pseudo-european name shits me. Where I am there's one that I think is a knock-off of Häagen Daas or whatever the fuck it is, comes out about as bad if not worse

I promise you I never have and likely never will see so much edge this densely crammed into just a few words.

Thing is, it's mostly correct

Lol

I don't know what "chemical aftertaste" means, but the main problem with store-bought ice creams is that they are whipped up and then have stiffeners added to them so not only do you get less cream per bite, but you also can never truly get a good spoonful of half-melted ice cream in your mouth, which is what tastes the best.

blue bell, but you might get a flesh eating virus or some shit

is it even possible to buy store bought ice cream that melts?
youtube.com/watch?v=SozZHZAWS64

Look for "all natural" ingredients, like milk, cream, eggs, sugar, and avoid things like carageenan, locust bean gum, guar gum, xanthan gum, etc. Aldi's Specially Selected chocolate and vanilla ice creams are really good, especially for the price.

Is it even possible to buy store bought ice cream?
youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5TMj4c5FE

>B-but this time it was our flavor supplier we swear
foodsafetynews.com/2016/09/blue-bell-recalls-ice-cream-for-listeria-blames-supplier/
SEPTEMBER 21, 2016
>Within days of heralding their products’ return to grocery stores in three states, officials with Blue Bell Creameries quietly recalled two flavors of cookie dough ice cream from 10 states because of Listeria concerns.

>Discovered to have had Listeria monocytogenes problems at its production facilities in recent years, Blue Bell remains under federal investigation related to a deadly multi-state outbreak that temporarily halted the company’s operations in 2015.

>This time, though, the Listeria contamination is believed to be the fault of a company supplier — Aspen Hills Inc. — according to a notice Blue Bell posted Wednesday. Blue Bell reports distributing the recalled “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough” and “Cookie Two Step” flavored ice cream in 10 states Based in Garner, IA, Aspen Hills is a supplier of cookie dough for food companies.

foodsafetynews.com/2017/01/cookie-dough-producer-on-notice-from-fda-for-listeria-issues/
JANUARY 27, 2017
>Thomas and Nancy Lundeen, co-owners of Aspen Hills Inc. may never look at Groundhog’s Day the same again. They’ve got until then to respond to an FDA warning letter about Listeria in their cookie dough and production plant — give or take a day depending on how long it took an overnight service to deliver the letter.

>A spokesman for Aspen Hills said earlier this week that the company is “working on its response” to the Food and Drug Administration. He did not provide information about the operational status of the cookie dough production lines or other activities at the Iowa facility.

(A FEW DAYS LATER)

foodsafetynews.com/2017/02/cookie-dough-company-closes-in-wake-of-recalls-for-listeria/
FEBRUARY 5, 2017
>The owners of a cookie dough company responsible for recalls of Blue Bell and Blue Bunny ice cream and other products in 2016 have ceased operations, thanking the FDA for its oversight. The recalls and investigation began in September 2016 when Blue Bell found Listeria contamination in its cookie dough ice cream that had been made with dough from Aspen Hills Inc.

>Jon Austin, a spokesman for Aspen Hills owners Thomas and Nancy Lundeen, released a statement on their behalf late this past week, after the couple responded to a warning letter from the Food and Drug Administration.

>“After much consideration, our owners have decided to end their involvement in the company and are actively looking to wind up their affairs through a sale or other orderly disposition. While that process is underway, we have ceased production as of the end of December,” Austin said.
TALK ABOUT FAST RESPONSE. FUCKING WEASEL COWARDS..

That doesn't let Blue Bell off the contamination hook though (for the second time a year)
TEST YOUR FREAKING PROD-
foodsafetynews.com/2016/12/blue-bell-asks-fda-if-it-can-return-testing-to-industry-norm/
DECEMBER 31, 2016
>Blue Bell Creameries wants the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to release it from certain food safety precautions imposed after its ice cream was linked to a deadly Listeria outbreak, seeking permission for less expensive practices it refers to as “the industry norm.”

>Attorney Joseph Levitt made the request to FDA on behalf of Blue Bell. The company contends it is losing millions of dollars worth of ice cream because of a requirement that it must destroy products that have preliminary positive test results for pathogens.

>“What we are asking the FDA to do is release us from having to destroy product based on preliminary finished product testing in favor of validated and confirmed finished product testing that is more in line with the industry norm,” according to a statement from the company.
I just had some chocolate blue bell today. DAMN IT.
DAMN IT ALL.
I'M NOT SUPPORTING THIS ANYMORE.

>hmm i haven't eaten ice cream in years
>bought store brand pecan ice cream
>checked to make sure it's not "frozen dairy dessert"
>starts off ok
>the air whipping is so blatantly obvious it doesn't even melt in your mouth right
>sharp salty tinge starts coming up right after swallowing
>it's like a gross chemical recreation of pecan
>weird salty flavor starts tasting like grease and it gets lodged in the roof of my nasal cavity somehow and it won't go away
>throw away the rest

don't cheap out on ice cream

God, I think my biggest complaint after trying that piece of shit "gelato" wasn't the chemical aftertaste.

It tasted like nothing.

Like not even an ice flavour from just being made of water like their usual ice creams.
It tasted like nothing like the ice cream was just a mesh of solid nothing that was filled with air. I had a chocolate one, and couldn't even taste the thin pieces of chocolate syrup they put in it. I didn't expect some flavourful gourmet masterpiece, I just wanted some goddamn ice cream, and a tub of gelato sounded like it'd be good.

It was a damn tub of nothing and cost me like $10.
I swore off Breyers as a brand because of this.

>Aspen Hills is a supplier of cookie dough for food companies.
Only in America, would people eat raw cookie dough and also use it in ice cream.

All my American friends can't stop stuffing their faces with cookie dough and it just disgusts me to no end.

>Attorney Joseph Levitt made the request to FDA on behalf of Blue Bell. The company contends it is losing millions of dollars worth of ice cream because of a requirement that it must destroy products that have preliminary positive test results for pathogens.
Seriously?

These guys are complaining that they have to destroy shit that show signs of contamination?

God.

How hard can it be to run a clean facility.

Second this. It's the best widely available ice cream

Blue Bell is weirdly one-dimensional, though. I don't get why people are so crazy about it.

Also lol muh regulations

>oh no these stringent quality testing procedures means profits will drop a whole fraction of a percent!
>better fire up your legal department and send them to washington in an expensive lobbying mission so you won't have to comply

If it cost them $3 million annually to hire some 100 spot checkers, they would rather spend $20 million to sue the FDA so they won't have to hire more people.

>chemical aftertaste
What does that mean? Which chemical, specifically? Everything's a chemical.

Not that user but that's not what I would have guessed he meant as "chemical." I don't taste that in the commercial ice creams I've had. I suggest people just write what they mean more plainly rather than using nonsensical terms like "chemical" to describe a taste.

What said is a good explanation.
This is also addressed to a point by America's Test Kitchen in their taste testing of basic store-bought vanilla ice cream (seek to ~13:02):
movpod.in/nmwa0fz7i8sp
Using true extracts for flavoring is expensive so in a lot of cases companies may resort to imitation additives to cut costs and it shows in the off/artificial/poorly fleeting flavors that then leave unpleasant aftertaste notes of bitter or sourness which violently clash with the smooth sweetness you expect.

This same phenomena occurs when you compare sucrose (table sugar) to artificial sweeteners such as sucralose (Splenda) or saccharin (Sweet 'N Low) in some people.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose
Such experiences relate to their chemical makeup and how the molecular structure fits into the taste receptor "keyholes" of the tongue (predisposed by genes like cilantro-soap tasters) for metallic/bitterness v. something else like sweetness
news.psu.edu/story/284556/2013/08/20/research/multiple-genes-manage-how-people-taste-sweeteners

In addition, ATK also found some companies got a little TOO fancy and creative in the flavor laboratory by developing combinations of other spices/ingredients that are supposed to mimic and contribute to the brain's sensory memory of a flavor's signature without having to ACTUALLY INCLUDE IT. Edy's, for example, had other spices included in their vanilla ice cream that pare with classic vanilla so often that it becomes committed to the taste bud nerve's muscle memory to trick the brain's palate into believing the aforementioned substance is actually contained in there (it wasn't despite the flavor's title at the time of testing).

Finally, in lower fat grade ice creams the temp-sensitive crystal structure required for transportation needs the use of stabilizers & gums, which if not applied judiciously, can impart their own flavor profile over the end product.

>trick the brain's palate into believing the aforementioned substance is actually contained in there

that's fucking genius

That's food science.

I would eat myself to death if I could buy that.

stores around me either dont have talenti or just have vanilla and salted caramel and nothing else

Yeah, but you have to go to the expensive grocery store and shell out.

Came in here to post this.

Ice Cream has turned into one of those products where unless you are buying speciality brands or making it yourself its not even food anymore. The big makers Breyers, Dreyers, BJ etc. are basically just freezing flavoured powdered milk byproduct and calling it ice cream

>I'm just gonna be a sperg and no one can stop me!
Next post a rant about people making small talk like the phony sheeple they are

20m now pays for itself in 7 years. That's just business, goy.

It's too sweet for me, I wish they'd put less sugar in.

hey that's my shitty breyers, it was at room temp when I took that pic

haagen dazs is your answer, almost all brands put shit in them to fuck with the texture, including talenti Ben & Jerry's etc.

This guy did a follow up video that's pretty damning too. Being a >leaf I know Breyers is way more expensive than the PC brand he did at the end so its shitty to see how price is no indication of quality.

youtube.com/watch?v=QZmYXcSX2zc

Used the be the best until Unilever bought them out. Now they use the same cheap ingredients as every other company, and they reduced the amount of mix-ins as well.

Talenti is good, but again they got bought out by Unilever and did away with their straciatella flavor.

I pretty much stick to local ice cream brands now. Major corporations kill everything good.

M O V E N P I C K
O
V
E
N
P
I
C
K

Perhaps you're a mutant?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

If unilever wanted to buy up my little ice cream company I'd sell out for a few billion easy

All the stores around here have this, but it's still stupid expensive.

If you're ever in north west Indiana I recommend giving it a try.

>carob bean gum
>guar gum
>cellulose gum
>carrageenan

God did not intend for ice cream to be served with stiffening agents. If you buy ice cream with any of this garbage, then you have no respect for food.

you understand vanilla flavour can be contained under the "natural flavour" label, right?

haagen daz or however the fuck its spelled

bluebell is delicious, but fuck them with how crappy they have been with their contamination issues.

sams choice(walmart brand) icecream is good, it only has sugar, cream, egg, milk

Yes, but you gotta live in a third world shithole where not everything is made from powder and cancer

I actually prefer store bought 1 litre "gourmet" ice cream over poverty portions gelato. Gelato places are a fukn rip off in Australia, I'd much rather invest in a 200 dollar cusineart gelato machine than get jewed by some Italian immigrant selling mediocre gelato which would have costed a few dollars in Napales for double the portions.

Also Connoiseurs premium range ice creams are better than most Gelatos.

Fair Oaks Farms has pretty good ice cream as well. When I worked there I helped make it. The fat percentage is well above the "premium" rating.

Never experienced any really awful tastes with ice cream for the most part. No chemical taste or whatever you keep whining about.
I will however admit that I hate their little airfluff shit. I pay for $8 of iced dairy crack, I should be getting $8 worth, not $3.

B-but muh dihydrogen monoxide memes!

>mfw the cookies and cream or the murray salted caramal

>that horrible gritty texture certain 'ice creams' have

THIS IS THE FAKEST AND GAY SHIT EVER SEEN. FUCKIN LEAFS HAVE TO GO BACK

Honestly, people who enjoy eating raw cookie dough deserve to get listeria

Breyers natural vanilla

It's really sad. When I was a tot, Breyer's was literally the best ice cream, better than Brigham's, better than Hood, it was the stuff you got on your birthday and vanilla was the only flavor that you needed. It was just fucking perfect. 150 years of goodness just completely trashed for no reason

Does cake melt?

This is the best and only correct answer in the thread.

Breyers was always poor-people trash m8.

I've never tasted that in ice cream. Stop buy clorox brand ice cream.

>muh gmos

>I trust the Amish
that's foolish. they are sure you're going to hell and take pleasure in fucking you over. most of the stereotypes about gypsies apply better to the amish.

Good shit right here. I like the cheesecake one.

Ben & Jerry's is the only choice

6 SCOOPS! DO YOU WANT TO LEAVE HUMANITY BEHIND?

>It's really sad. When I was a tot, Breyer's was literally the best ice cream
the icecream got better if anything, you just think its worse because your brain and palate have matured.

Got any source on this? Not him but I am interdasted. Should I just google "the truth about the amish" or something?

every time

>crunch
>crunch
>HUGE ICE CUBE
>crunch

just end it all. It's like eating through a giant lucky charms marshmallow

What's his name again?