Wok

There are people on Veeky Forums RIGHT NOW that think you cannot use a wok on an electric stove top.

i'm sure it's not ideal. I wouldn't know, i've never been poor enough to own an electric stove

>looking at apartments to finally move out of home
>keen to start buying my own pots and pans, top of the list is a wok
>find an apartment, great location, newish, cheap too
>electric stove top

feelsbadman

No one thinks you can't, you just won't get the kind of results you want if you're trying to duplicate authentic Chinese. Even a typical home gas stovetop, while better, won't produce enough BTU's for that. Best is to use a standalone propane burner designed for deep frying turkey or brewing beer.

lodge has a cast iron wok that's safe on electric stoves

this, 100%.

I use a wok as a general purpose skillet on my electric stove. I don't even cook Chinese stuff.

Why would you chose to do that when a flat skillet will give you better results due to a larger contact area with your stovetop?

Your method seems like you're being deliberately counterproductive. It makes little sense.

Yeah. Me. House is electric everything. It's sad. I hope more people consider that if they cook at home. Not the end of the world but a lot of things are harder this way.

>lodge
fuck, is these niggers goal to make a cast iron everything?

Meh, that's easily corrected. Just get one of those portable "turkey fryer" propane burners and cook outside.

That would be so fucking heavy to toss around holy shit my arms are screaming just thinking about a heavy ass cast iron wok

Basically zero apartments have gas ranges.

This. Don't use it inside like a retard.

the fuck are you talking about satan? I've never seen an apartment with anything but gas, other than my gradma who has induction now ever since my aunt decided she shouldn't be allowed to have nice things now that she's old.

I just use a teflon pan.

Problem solved.

>I've never seen an apartment with anything but gas
Third world american detected.

Most places consider it way more of a hazard and have shitty electric GE range/oven combos in apartments. Seriously, an extreme minority use gas even in areas where gas is common and cheap as fuck. Old units may have gas, but nearly all modern have electric for liability reasons and just cost of putting in cheap appliances. Do you not live in America or something?

I have a cast iron skillet and this is just taking the meme too far. That is going to be so fucking heavy its unusable. A wok needs to be lift able with one arm to move the food around that thing is 6 kg and doesnt even have a proper handle.

There are options.

How the fuck did everyday chinese go about cooking a wok hundreds of years ago? Coal? Seriouseats suggest using a chimney starter.

I'm going to guess wood fires in a lot of places.

DYEL?