Is there anything more disgusting than French onion soup?

Is there anything more disgusting than French onion soup?
Who the fuck wants to eat soggy bread covered in cheese, submerged in broth.

If you want to know how soggy I mean, literally just submerge a piece of bread in a bowl of water.

>Is there anything more disgusting than French onion soup

Yes: dumb frogposters asking classic image.jpg questions.

I like French onion soup. I'm guessing you don't like sopa de ajo either.

I dip my pizza crusts in soda already, French Onion Soup sounds like a step up.

The broth is pretty good. Could do without the rest. French onion soup is pretty meh to me but it seems like a lot of people really like it and go crazy over it, i dont get it either

I just made a homemade beef stock that I'll be using for it. I'll caramalize a bunch of onions for 45 minutes to an hour, put them in ramekins, dip up some stock, add a slice of toasted french bread and gruyere cheese to the ramekin and bake until cheese is brown and bubbly. It's a rare treat, but well worth the effort. Never noticed bread being soggy or the soup being flavorless. But of course I'm not white trash, who's idea of French Onion Soup is Campbells.

fuck you faggot lmao

When I was a kid I thought I hated it because my mom made it for me right out of the can then a girl I was on a date with unironically ordered it at Applebees and it was good. I make it easy mode by breaking up cheap frozen onion rings, toasting or deep frying then while I heat up a little beef stock then throwing them into it (shallow enough to only half cover them) topping with mozzarella then putting the lid on for a few minutes or back in the toaster oven. Trashy but good.

fuck you faggot lmao :^)

French here, it can be a nice soup, but not a fancy thing. I mean, onion+cheese+bread does makes a filling lower-class meal, not a fancy one.

French restaurants for tourist make them pay a gorillion and it raises the expectations for everyone while generalizing bad soups as the embodiment of Fancy French Cuisine. Nearly no french people eat that by the way, we are so americanized that now in Paris going to eat in restaurant means generally going to hipster burger.
Yeah. So you have hipster french onion soup, and wealthy-peasant-grade french onion soup. Former is shit, latter is good enough.

For me the onion soup is good enough when it is thick, rich and tasty, and the bread brushed with garlic and herbs and very grilled, so it keeps some of its crunch when put in the soup.

what do french ppl really eat

Fresh baguettes and lots of frozen meals.

Dicks

Depends if you are in Paris or outside Paris.

In Paris we have a huge offer of foreign food, I love japanese, indian, lebanese... a lot like burgers and pizzas and kebabs too. Outside Paris eating habits are a little more traditional.

As poor youngs single workers we cook simple stuff for lunch, like chicken+veggies, croque-monsieur or quiches or sandwiches, generally what is left in the fridge recooked in a way or another.
When drinking with friend, saucisson, potato chips and salted nuts/pistachios.

In family it is more traditional (and long to cook) european cooking, like stuffed tomatoes, couscous (algerian & tunisian influence), choucroute (alsacian influence), veal paupiettes, ham endives, potato gratin, paëlla (spanish influence), pasta a la carbonara (italian influence)...

We use a lot of frozen food bought for example at the Picard shops Fresh bread is more tasty and accessible than in anglosaxon countries. But food cones in smaller portions (my god in Canada I couldn't eat a dessert after main dish, and I heard american portions are even bigger!) so expect more to buy 1/2L or 1L bottle of milk than 2L bottles.

>expect more to buy 1/2L or 1L bottle of milk than 2L bottles

... I only buy my milk in gallon jugs

Same here. Everyone always gives me shit for it, but it's so good

as a child I hated french onion soup.

as an adult I find it quite delicious.

guess what I think of you, OP

How do you manages to drink all of that before it turns?
Are you milk-fuelled?
Do you cook your pastas in milk?

The soup itself is delicious, I don't understand why anyone would ruin perfectly good soup and toast like that. Just eat them separately, why make the bread soggy?

Québécois here, never shittalk about french onion soup again. REEEEEE

This is a comfy soup in winter after going outside. This is very popular here.

I tried french onion soup twice, and both times the soup itself was too strong tasting and too oily.

And I say this as someone who loves onions.

Cereal, coffee, baking, frosty glass with supper... the list could go on.

If you think that's a lot, ask about GOMAD some time.

I've never really enjoyed at restaurants that much, not because of the sogginess but because it's hard to get a piece of bread, cheese and broth without lifting up the whole clump of bread. At home I just cut up the bread and toast it until it becomes very dry croutons, way better experience and honestly I don't understand why everyone doesn't do it.

this

I use it as burger seasoning.

do Americans actually do this?

Gallon of milk a day is best way to cheap bulk

Depends if they live in city or in county. People living in the city tend to eat outside (except lower class), and I would say 70% of people leaving in the city just know the basics of cooking - french culture in cities is more and more americanised. So they would eat what they saw outside, what is trendy and are getting more and more in the american way of eating, especially about burgers, cheesecakes, cupcakes, bagels, tacos. Also every other street foods.

The thing is, in France it's cheaper to make groceries than eating outside.

In county it's different, it's easier to access good food and regional specialties, there's a strong opposition between cities and county (not only on food), a good exemple is the whole organic/ethic food meme which is more an urban thing than someone living in county, the guy in county don't really care about it as he know where the local food come, also he just go for casual supermarket food as county is poor with more unemployement. Meanwhile there's cultural habits like North eating a lot of fries and sausage while in south there's a lot of olive oil and typical Provence vegetables.

The common thing everywhere in France will be bread - bakery are everywhere, the baguette is under 1€. Wine is produced and consumed everywhere, except in north and brittany where it's more focused on beer and cider. Cheese obviously, every french people is strongly attached with cheese, especially in a regional way. For other things it will be common universal thing: pasta/rice (but you do'nt miw it together), meat (charcuterie will focus on pork meat), fish (christian heritage).

The frog and snails thing exist too but it's very punctual, actually you'll generally find frogs in asian places. Snails is more a thing from Burgundy. The whole thing would be the fact that we're raised in way of seeing food as something to be curious about which you will describe like "you can say it's gross/bad if you didn't taste".

Meaning: you can't say it's gross

And we tend to be really proud of our cooking even if we didn't really know it.

guess what

your gay

>choucroute
you fucking frog this is Deutscher culture and land how dare you appropriate it. We will come for you after the next elections, give back our stolen world

Better resume than I did.
Baguettes in Paris are 1€+, non-Parisian people have an eating life way healthier, tastier and cheaper than in Paris. The only reasons Parisian don't flee en masse to the rest of the country is the job & cultural offer of the capital.
"You can't say it's gross/bad if you didn't taste it before" is said by nearly all french mothers to their children. Mine too :) that and "the best recipes were discovered by mistakes, accidents and experimentations in cooking".
Yes, we are proud of our cuisine even if we are shit in the kitchen.

Nein, Sauerkraut ist sehr gut und unsere germanische Erbe ist. FRANKreich, oder nein? :)
('Tchuldigung für mein scheiß deutch)

Please, it's your own fault if you eat at shit tier restaurants. French Onion Soup is god tier. Your opinion is invalid.

Op here, this was actually a bait post. French onion is God tier. Today I found out much of Veeky Forums has shit taste.