What does Veeky Forums think of dollar store spices?

what does Veeky Forums think of dollar store spices?

I'm in a rough spot but I refuse to eat out of a can

Fine
Not everything needs to be fucking organic and sorted by yogis

I've been using dollar tree black pepper, onion flakes, garlic powder, and oregano. I'm not dead yet, and dare I say it, I have made some good dishes with them.

Thanks! Glad to know it's not as uncommon as I thought

I keep cheap, canned spices around anyway, just in case I run out of something. It lasts a long while, and you never know when they'll come in handy. I can't tell you how many times just having a cheap can of parsley flakes have slightly improved my quality of life.

It's usually the same shit as what you'd get in an expensive glass bottle from McCormick or something, anyway.

Dollar store spices are great. If buying food at a dollar store doesn't sit well with you, get Walmart/whatever other local grocery store-brand spices for slightly more expensive.

Dollar stores are damn handy though. It's a shame people look down on them. Bought a whole load of basic kitchen necessities and they still work great. Why spend $10-20+ on a rolling pin when you can get one for $3, right?

Dollar tree for life! When my ex was pregnant i kept myself and her family fed from tue dollar tree. There are a lot of options. Dollar tree and save a lot kept us alive.

>Why spend $10-20+ on a rolling pin when you can get one for $3, right?
Because the $3 one isn't go to last long and is made from mysterious Chinamen.

do you regret it?

They are probably just lower quality and not stored properly or older. The worst that is going to happen is they will be less flavorful, big deal.

I buy my spices from bulk places and do a purge every year or so.

And a lot of "normal" priced rolling pins and other items are also made in China, likely using the exact same production methods. The companies can get away with huge markups as a lot of people far for the "it's more expensive, therefore it's a higher quality product" nonsense. What's your point?

That's why you buy higher quality items not made in China. Apparently this concept is beyond your "intellectual" capacity.

You probably think buying ten $3 items is cheaper and more value than buying a single $20 item.

Surviving? No sir. We were broke and i got roped into feeding her entire family. That being said my situation is much better these days for my self and my kid.

>Surviving? No sir. We were broke and i got roped into feeding her entire family.
I can't imagine this scenario happening to me. Were you in some tiny town in West Virginia or what?

Dunno how good a value dollar store stuff is, but for cheap spices just hit the ethnic food aisle at your normal grocery store. You can usually find the big ass containers of most stuff for really cheap, because they're not the fancy brands most people look for.

or the south side of chicago

source: ive only ever lived on the south side of chicago

>Why spend $10-20+ on a rolling pin when you can get one for $3, right?
That's what I thought when I paid $3 for a silicone flipper from Wal-Mart instead of $5 for the essentially identical-looking one from Kroger. It snapped the first time I used it when I pressed down on a burger with it.
The shaft of the flipper was a U-shaped piece of metal, instead of a regular tube or even a solid bar.

Please kys if you press on burgers

the point

you

Maybe you're too powerful

Every time I've had dollar store spices they've tasted like flavorless nothing.

No we were in a major northeast city. Just could not afford the other stores. There was a wait for foodstamps and the food banks were always over extended and empty. Many people struggle in the us man.

Dollar Tree knives are where it's at. They last for a few month before they dull, then you throw em out and use a new one, beats spending $400 on a knife like some of the 'chefs' on this board.